I'm in the market for a new laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by VoR, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

Hi mac-heads!

I wanted to know, does anyone else use iPhoto to upload photos onto Facebook? Only, I'm trying to do it now and I'm finding it so sluggish. I'm uploading 115 photos, which I know is quite a lot, but it's hardly an insane amount, yet it's taking forever (in 20 minutes it's done 24 photos and says there's 51 minutes remaining) and it's clogging up my whole internet which is now running slow too. That can't be right surely?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

It's uploading massive image files. Presumably they're 3Mb but probably larger so that's 345MB and then take into account uploading is slower anyway it's probably right.

3. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I'm sure it never used to go as slow as it did last night when I used to use the Facebook uploader, but I thought using the iPhoto Share option would be all swish and maccy :(. I only got to 99 last night before the whole thing seemed to give up. It does show all 115 photos in my Facebook album on iPhoto, but only 99 on my Facebook album on the actual Facebook site, so now I'm a bit confused by it all.

4. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

My Toshiba is on its dying bed :( I'll read this thread later for inspiration

I'm NOT getting a fucking MAC

5. Indie

Indie Great Tits

I recommend you don't read this thread then. It's just full of Apple fanboys

6. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

Ugh, maybe I should start my own Mac-free thread then

7. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

You've got to laugh :D

My Toshiba is CRAPPING OUT but I'd like more of the same TAT please!

8. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

EXACTLY.

You don't even have to get a Mac (though you SHOULD), but spend a decent price on an equivalent Windows machine and it won't die so quickly.

9. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

What type of gays don't have a MacBook???!????!

10. COB

COB Skullomania nude on spacehopper

POOR ones :evil:

11. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

My laptop was bought 2.5 years ago at £500, and I had to replace the keyboard twice and the power adapter once. Total extra cost of £100. The whole thing will be lucky to last till Christmas. I can get a MacBook Pro for £920 through a discount scheme from work, I'm sure it would last MUCH longer than that, so it's all relative...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

And one that aren't pretentious cunts

13. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

:eyes:

My first mac was a compulsory work one. I resisted it for about 5 days before I realised how superior it was in every way that mattered to me.

Why resist a product because of the other people that use it? Make your own mind up.

14. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

Are macs superior in certain aspects? Yeah probably, in general and specially when you work in design and other creative domains. Though for me as a scientist, PCs are much more adapted to the softwares I use. You'll never find a mass spectrometer piloted by a mac. So it's really more than just the other people using macs.

A mac really isn't the product for me. Besides the fact that PCs are cheaper.

15. Mats

Mats User

I might get a laptop with Windows again when my Mac breaks

in 7 years :disco:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  16. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Well, that's a much more reasonable explanation, isn't it.

17. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

shut up you pretentious mac fanboy

18. COB

COB Skullomania nude on spacehopper

I'm using a Mac at work RIGHT NOW :o

I wouldn't want one at home though, unless I was rich enough to have one AS WELL AS a PC.

19. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Like for like, they're really not.

It's just that Apple don't make low end lap tops that CARK it after 18 months. Their cheapest products are firmly aimed at the middle market.

20. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Why on earth would you want both? :D

If you missed particular Windows programmes so much, just install Windows on it and switch to that when needs be.

21. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

My Toshiba is in no way a high end laptop, I got it for about £600 in 2007, and that lasted me 5 years.

22. Daniel

Daniel User

I've just ordered a Dell XPS 15z, the cheapest version with an Intel i5 processor and a 1366x768 resolution screen instead of the Full HD of the i7 model, for £609. Was this a good decision do you think? I've been looking for ages, and this range seemed to get good reviews for being an all-rounder with it appearing to be a high level laptop; and now with the new XPS 15 range with Ivy League processor coming out, it had a relatively mid range pricing on the Dell website, and I couldn't really stretch my budget any further.

I would have loved a Mac though :(

23. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Ok I'm definitely getting a MacBook For Christmas and I have decided on a 13"Pro, as I want to be able to rip CDs and watch DVDs easily. I can't decide between the 2 different specs - the entry level one which I can get for £920 or the higher one for £1170 through a discount thing at work.

I'll be using the laptop for the Internet and watching movies mostly, probably not much photo editing but not sure whether to go for the higher end one - will it last longer? Or should I save the money and get the lower one. I'm all CONFUSED.

24. Crash

Crash Thank You

I'm exactly the same right now - after the utter disappointment of the 13" retina, I'm going for the higher end 13" right now - as I get it a bit cheaper.

If that's all youre going to do, get the base cheaper model, as it's upgradeable in time by adding more RAM/SSD if you find it's not fast enough for you.

25. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Go for the entry model 13" Kala. It will do you fine and like Crash said if it feels a bit laggy later down the line adding RAM is very easy and a new SSD will basically feel like you've just bought a new computer.

26. Crash

Crash Thank You

Got my Macbook Pro today - where can one find Office 2012 for Mac? :angel:

27. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I think Mats is your man for a helpfully provided dropbox link.

28. Mats

Mats User

that's right babes

pm me your e-mail, Crash, and I'll sort you out

29. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Isn't the 13" Retina a touch pointless? It doesn't sound like it has the spec to maintain/power the screen properly?

My head is tossing up between the old and new Macbook's. The older one has the obvious benefits of upgradability - you can buy the lowest rung of the system and upgrade the HDD, Ram etc yourself. The newer one has the higher resolution screen (although the third party support for this is apparently bobbins), but the education discocunt is much higher.

30. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I'm being very careful about this, the new Macbooks are apparently designed with components soldered to the motherboard. If you want to upgrade, go old.

31. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Depends. the XPS range is actually bloody marvellous, the build quality is excellent and the two that I have owned have been utterly problem free forever. I DO wish I had got more resolution though... I find cramming all of Ableton onto such a screen a bit of a stretch and I need to play around with Zoom.

HOWEVER.

If you plan to game, the lower native resolution screen the better, the higher it is, the better your graphics card has to be inside the thing... and laptop cards aren't really up to going beyond lower resolutions. Nicer to have all the pretties turned on at a native resolution.

I bought mine from the outlet so it only set me back £400.

32. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Oh yes, price is a major consideration. You do get a population of people who exclaim crazy things that equate to “this £1800 laptop is MUCH better than my £400 work one!”, which is one step away from becoming a resident of obvious town.

Then there are the things Macs are no good at (and the reason I am splitting myself into a PC/Mac setup). The Mac is rubbish for games. It is. It barely has any catalogue even though it has Steam. All it can really lay claim to is being better than Linux. So in the realms of pushing things technically that way, it is only PC.

I want a Mac for music creation (and eventually performance), and it is a BLOODY expensive way of doing things, but that is how I am going to do it. Mainly on the reputation of the Mac as a creative powerhouse. It will also be used for casual faffing around purposes, the other strong point of Apple. They are fantastic casual devices and I’m not the sort of person who starts to go down the path of power using and customisation (the weak point of Apple) – which I once saw borne out on a comment discussion where someone chimed in with a “have you ever tried to do a blah blah blah blah on a Mac?!” missing the point that the article was about being Macs being “the simplest” for people who have just got to grips with the concept of using a mouse – there would be no way in hell they’d even need to go near that sphere.

Essentially it is all down to user purposes in the end, and I have found myself mediating in endless arguments between Android and iOS users on Google+ who don’t seem to grasp that there are different audiences for each product, both convinced (rightly so) that they have the “right” product.