I'm just watching season 7 again and....

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by Suedey, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

... I'm actually quite enjoying it! I know I've always hated on it but really it gave us Katy and Trixie.... it gave us THE RETURN of Merle... it gave us RU-watching the whole 'do I have something on my face?' Pearl debacle (post-'nothing you say counts unless that camera is on' RUmix)... it gave us that "Break Free" lipsync ... it gave us Mel B being an AWFUL AWFUL person as per etc. etc. etc. !

2. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

In fact in retrospect I suspect the main reason I dislike it so much is because I dislike Violet so much and her winning it really annoyed me but, again, in retrospect, I can't see another fitting winner the way the season went. Obviously we all love Katya but the stars just weren't aligned that way.

3. Ag

Ag User

Hard to believe Katya finished lowered than Pearl.

Even Violet seems like the most unlikely winner in retrospect, as talented as she may be.

Suedey likes this.
  4. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I think it's one of the strongest casts ever, actually. Katya, Ginger, Trixie, Kennedy, even Pearl and Violet were strong in different ways, and even some of the filler queens were pretty memorable (Max was doing very well until he crashed and burned at Snatch Game, Mrs Kasha Davis is a delight, Jasmine is obviously an icon, Tempest is one of the strongest first-outs ever).

I think the big problem is that compared to 4, 5, and 6, the characters didn't necessarily gel well together. There was no epic rivalry to compare to Phi Phi vs Sharon. No particular underdog storyline like Rolaskatox vs Jinkx, and no heartwarming friendship arc to compare to Bianca and Adore.

There's a reason many of the queens had better runs on AllStars.

5. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

They should have kept Trixie in that lipsync. And her shade post the fact ("I had to be eliminated so Pearl could have a storyline") was very telling.

I mean, yes, Pearl added an element of mania / paranoia to "Dreaming" but she was doing her one-note arm thing and I thought Trixie's geisha reading was very cute. If anything, it should have been a double save.

6. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

Funnily enough I'm just watching that episode where Max got eliminated and it got me thinking - she's really good! A bit underrated and I'd love to see her on an All Stars season..

7. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

And TO THINK that awful Mel B shaded Queen Kylie on J-Ross recently with the whole "Oh 'The Locomotion' or whatever it's called is my favourite Kylie song" when she witnessed the REVELATION that was the RPDR "I Was Gonna Cancel" lipsync. WHORE!

8. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

The problem is very much that none of them are particularly funny or good at acting (bar Katya, who was in her head the whole time) yet they loaded it with acting and comedy challenges.

If it had have been like Season 3 and massively skewed in the way of fashion it would have worked better. I've been watching too and the first three episodes are fun but then it just falls apart. The song parody challenge, the Merle challenge and the Despy Awards episode are awful for how bland they are. MacBitch is at least fun in that it's a trainwreck. Snatch Game has Kennedy and that's about it.

9. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Having re-watched it recently myself, my favourite Season 7 moments

- Kennedy's Snatch Game. "I said a BATH HOUSE with a DARK ROOM and GLORY HOLES"

- The Glamazon Airways Lip Sync, which was actually pretty funny and well-written and featured MKD serving FACE

[​IMG]

- The utter train wreck of the McBitch challenge.

- The utter ludicrousness of the Hello Kitty challenge (in which Kennedy rightly won the lip sync but SO should have been up against Pearl rather than Katya)

- The Conjoined Twin challenge.

[​IMG]

- Katya's performance in the John Waters challenge

- Katya's Olivia Newton John lip-sync.

- Sasha: I'm so happy to be back!
    - Ginger: Well, if I was going to be stuck with anyone I'm happy it's you :)
    - Ginger (in Cutaway): That was a FUCKIN' LIE.

- Katya (During Tempest & Kandy Ho's lip sync): "I don't know what the crab woman is doing but the bearded lady is TURNING. IT. OUT.

Suedey likes this.