iPhone/iPod Touch Apps

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Crash, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Crash

Crash Thank You

Just thought a thread for recommendations/reviews of Apps out there for us iPhone/iPod touch users.

Some good ones I've found along the way

Remote (Free): Control your iTunes or Apple TV (like anyone has that!) from your phone/ipod - works amazingly well.

[​IMG]

Pandora (Free): Much like the website, you start off choosing an artist and they'll play some recommendations. Can uncover a few hidden gems along the way.
    [​IMG]

Whrrl (Free): Sort of bridging social networking and mapping. It searches your current location, then a variety of pins show places other people have pinned to be good places to go, such as pubs, clubs, restaurants, sights etc.
    Can pin and review some of your fave places too.
    [​IMG]

World 9 (Free): Pretty simple but I think its ace, turn on the app and walk around, or jump around and it makes Super Mario Bros noises as you do it :D
    [​IMG]

Jott (Free): Basically you record voice memos which the app turns into text memos, you strike through them when youre done. Pretty simple but im liking it.
    [​IMG]

eBay (Free): Pretty standard, but well done.
    [​IMG]

Super Monkey Ball (£5.99): Really well done, loads of fun and 110 levels of goodness. So cheap considering a DS version would be £20 odd.

Anyone else found OWT GOOD?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

I might try Pandora. World 9 sounds fun. :D

3. DrEAmFish

DrEAmFish User

is the new 2.00 worth paying for?

4. Karvel

Karvel Has A Good Home

I can't find Pandora. :(

5. jørgen

jørgen User

Facebook looks really well in App form, but just a couple of things I noticed: if you have an accented character in your name, it misses out all the characters before it appears. The other thing is that anyone who updates from Facebook Mobile doesn't appear in the updates either...

6. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

It must be annoying going through life with an special character in your name.

Still, it looks distinguished. If I ever changed my name, I'd definitely consider having one of those Swedish 'å's in it.

7. jørgen

jørgen User

Well, Madisån would mean you wouldn't have to change the way you pronounce it.

8. Crash

Crash Thank You

My new favourite is Tap Tap Revenge, also free

Exactly like Guitar Hero, not a lot of tracks at the moment but enough to get you into the game and they ones they do have are fun enough. But theres apparently an update soon.

But yeah definitely a must

9. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Amazing!

10. Emma

Emma x-o-x-o

oh the voice memo one is RIGHT up my street

11. Emma

Emma x-o-x-o

p.s i'm getting an iphone for christmas YAY

12. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Do the iPod Touch's come with the 2.0 software then?

13. Crash

Crash Thank You

Nein, I think they ship with 1.1.4, and you have to upgrade to 2.0 when you get it, at the lovely price of like £5.99 i think it is.

14. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Bitchin'

15. jørgen

jørgen User

This isn't an app in the new sense, but it is AMAZING. Telekinesis - connects your iPod Touch or iPhone directly to your Mac over IP. It really is AMAZING.

http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

16. jørgen

jørgen User

I FINALLY got Super Monkey World today. It is AMAZING.

17. Shane

Shane User

I'm getting an iPhone soon - I played Cro-Mag Rally, Super Monkey Ball, and Tap Tap Revenge on a friend's touch and they were really fun. I hear Shazam is a cool app.

18. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Super Mario 64 coming for your (unlocked) iPhone :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgJqXqZUZtU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgJqXqZUZtU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I couldn't handle the on-screen buttons but still, interesting as a tech demo at least.

19. Indie

Indie Great Tits

I'm currently absolutely addicted to playing DOOM

Yeah it was a couple of quid and runs down my battery like nobody's business, but i love it.

20. Axiom

Axiom User

Useful apps I have:

NatWest (all banks should have an app)
    Allowance (My O2 is free, but I still like this app)
    Flixster
    National Rail (expensive, but very handy if you use the train all the time)
    My High Street
    Sky+
    TV Guide (better TV listings than Sky+)
    Shazam

Games I love:
    Geo Defense Swarm
    GloBall
    TapTap
    Airport Mania
    Sway

21. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

National Rail isn't need now. The Train Line have put out a fantastic free app.

22. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I've got that tvguide one. It is indeed wonderful.

23. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Natwest actually scares me...I don't like the idea of putting my bank details into that to be honest...

24. Axiom

Axiom User

I did have TheTrainLine, but switched to National Rail as it is a lot more useful. Realtime updates, tells you which platform to be on, etc.

As for NatWest, you have to enter a passnumber before you can get any information. It's quite basic at the moment, but hopefully they'll add more features.

25. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

Surely it's as safe as internet banking?

26. delirium

I've just had a Grindr message saying that users need to ensure their profile photos don't include nude images and that text and photos need to be appropriate and not "overly suggestive" or Apple could withdrawn Grindr as an app.

:D

27. Axiom

Axiom User

I think that's fair enough. You pretty much know what someone is looking for from a shirtless pic and "NSA fun". If you want more graphic pictures and text, message them

28. delirium

That's what I mean though - I'm guessing Grindr has been told that if ANY messages or profiles, or photos or profile photos are rude then Apple will withdrawn Grindr as an app.

Considering it's between two consenting adults, it seems a bit much. I mean, are Apple going to monitor phone calls now?

"Hi want to come round for a fuck?"
    "I'M SORRY, WE ARE TERMINATING YOUR CONTRACT"

*phone goes dead*

Not that I care as I am a good boy :angel:

29. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I think it's daft as well, especially considering the fact that the phone has child restriction features built in. I turn them on every time I give my niece and nephew my phone to play with :)
    It's probably just a pre-emptive strike on Grindr's behalf, as Apple can be a little over-zealous in locking the thing down. They tried to ban a dictionary app in the summer as it could be used to display profanities :D though that decision was quickly overturned.

30. Axiom

Axiom User

I guess Apple's (and maybe Grindr's) point of view is that it isn't an app just for people to meet up and have sex (hard to believe, I know). There are people on there who just want to make new friends and chat, so "may"not want to be confronted with a picture of a 9 inch dick and "I want sex" messages. It may offend them

31. delirium

While I agree in theory, in reality I have never ever seen a profile picture any more raunchy than a torso or a guy in shorts.

And as for the dictionary :D x1000000000

32. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I know it's amazingly childish, but my friends and I have taken to finding it UTTERLY HILARIOUS to use the "Voice Control" feature to say things like "KIDDY FIDDLER" and seeing which name it brings up... :D

33. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

On a similarly idiotic note, I love that app that makes your voice sound like the baddie from Saw :D

34. Axiom

Axiom User

I have seen quite a few graphic pictures and messages in their profile, but they must get blocked very quickly as I don't see them again after a day.

35. lolly

Oh God how I love apps. I'm borderline obsessed by them now, scouring iTunes for things I'll never really need but convince myself it's useful to have :D

I did download the Guardian app when it was released a few weeks back. Very handy to download it all and then read it offline throughout the day.

36. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

The Guardian app is brilliant, it replaced all my other news apps overnight.

It's only a matter of time before they charge you daily for the newspaper though, surely. Not that I'd have a problem with that in the slightest.

37. smexy

smexy Guest

I had a download FRENZY today and bought Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Connect 4 and Battleships. The trio of Facebook, The Telegraph and Sky News are essential for me. Natwest is also quite handy.

38. lolly

I do like the Independent one as well. Although it isn't as pretty to look at.

And yes, I can only assume the plan is to see how well this goes as a one off paid download and then charge for it somehow. Perhaps a monthly subscription or something. I'd certainly consider it.

39. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I agree - although in classic Grauniad style it is packed full of typos.

40. lolly

Have any of you London people tried one of the apps which tell you which carriage you need to be in to get off at the stop nearest the exit/transfer etc on the underground? It fascinates me. I almost want to download it and spend a day testing it out. :D