iPhone/iPod Touch Apps

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Crash, Jul 12, 2008.

1. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

Oh oh, i'm not really a games person either, so any apps that've made your world a better place are good to know too.

I am already ITCHING to lie on my back outside to try out Star Walk :nerd:

2. TurnerPrize

Cut to tomorrow: my ipad got snatched from me last night by a tramp :(

3. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

My iPad essentials are

- Pinboard (collates feeds in an amazing way)
    - Reeder (for RSS feeds)
    - Instacast (brilliant podcast management tool, much better than using iTunes as you can update them without syncing)
    - Instapaper (for reading/archiving long articles you've bookmarked online - it makes more sense when you use it)
    - TuneIn Radio (best radio app out there)
    - AirVideo (for streaming videos that are on your laptop without having to convert them and sync them to your iPad)
    - The Economist (even the free version gives you a number of very decent articles a week to read)

I've got a few others that I also couldn't live without but there either camera/location specific so probably far more suited to an iPhone.

4. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

I have wasted ridiculous amounts of time playing Drop7 over the last few months, I'd recommend it.

5. TurnerPrize

Ta kids. TuneIn Radio and AirVideo seem the most like my things there.

Drop7 too, although i might have to be a little wary of the games now because OH MY WORD - Angry Birds. I love it, but also hate it SO FUCKING MUCH because it's like crack to me. I never get addicted to computery games but something in this means that i can't get enough and simply must kill all the pigs, even when it's giving me a splitting headache and i have things i need to do. i spent AGES completing what i thought was the whole thing, only to find out that it was just one episode :( I'm going cold turkey for a bit but think i will then cheat and get the eagle. I must have spent 90 minutes trying to blow up that bastarding king.

A cartoon tv show is happening, right? Because they didn't half make me laugh. At least until i got totally consumed by it all.

Also, the games are good value, aren't they? Well some of them anyway. Because what i've seen of the £2.99 Lego Harry Potter seems FAR BETTER than the DS version which must RRP at about 25/30 quid. Maybe there's a catch to emerge later on.

Other apps wise, so far i've quite enjoyed the photo archive ones in the form of Life Magazine and a Flickr one.

6. Slave

Slave User

I'm playing Lego Harry Potter at the moment and it's really quite enjoyable - I'm up to the Prisoner of Azkaban and no major flaws as of yet

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. TurnerPrize

Oh good to know. I hope they release full ipad versions of the Lego Batman / Indiana Jones games too. I already prefer this as a console to my poor ignored DS.

I had to google to find out how to do Wingardiam LeviOsa on the feather though :( Professor Flitwick was really getting pissy with me.

8. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

I got Kairosoft's 'Mega Mall Story' on Thursday night and I must have played it for about 8 hours so far. I'M OBSESSED. It's a little like Sim Tower, although unlike Sim Tower, your stores can get better. So it's not just about building a ridiculously high tower with things in it.

I can imagine never playing it again once I've got a 5 star mall, but until then, it's a nice little game for only a few dollars.

9. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

My Kairosoft rankings go:

Pocket Academy
    Hot Springs
    Mega Mall
    Game Dev

Mega Mall is alright but has less graphical charm than the other games, plus it is far too easy. I ended up just steam rolling the entire opposition in it, never found myself short of cash. Pocket Adademy has been the best, plenty of challenge to it, a real rush on the high score surge.

By all reports Formula One Story is meant to be great, and I'm really looking for RPG Story too. I believe they have Football Story in the works too.

10. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

As for games, I’d recommend:

Any of the Kairosoft games mentioned above,
    Free App Hero – a worthy app that points you in the direction of actually decent free games
    Swords and Sworcery
    Peggle
    Orbital
    Edge
    Helsings Fire
    Osmos
    Words With Friends
    Spider
    Trainyard
    Spirits
    Flight Control
    World Series of Poker (if you like Poker)
    Fieldrunners
    Plants vs Zombies
    geoDefence
    Bit.Trip.Beat
    Boost 2
    Canabalt
    Fruit Ninja
    Flick Kick Football
    Mirrors Edge
    Mr AahH!!
    Solipskier
    The Incident
    Phoenix Wright:Ace Attorney
    Final Fantasy 3
    Monkey Island 1 & 2
    Beneath A Steel Sky
    Broken Sword

As for actual tool apps:

Whatsapp for messaging
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud
    dJay
    Nanostudio
    TeamViewer (remote desktopping)
    VLC
    Vouchercloud
    Quidco
    Threadless
    Reeder
    WordPress
    Jamie Oliver Recipes
    Living Earth
    Weather HD
    Dropbox
    Hipstamatic
    8mm Camera
    Camera+
    ColoroSplash
    Google+
    Yell
    ESPN Goals
    SkyGo

I’m sure there are loads I’ve missed.

I don’t recommend anyone get Angry Birds as the guys in charge (Rovio) are proving to be MASSIVE COCKS. Deeming traditional gaming ended, demanding cheaper games and more innovation... yet balancing this out but releasing nothing but Angry Birds and hoping to make an Angry Birds theme park and 3D movie. The quicker that game gets buried, the better.

11. Indie

Indie Great Tits

yeeeeeess. Literally none of my friends have ever heard of this game and i was ecstatic when it came out on the iphone.

12. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I never got the chance to play it back in the day, so its like playing catch up. Lucasarts could do with doing HD updates of more of their games too, Day Of The Tentacle would be great to play through again.

*flushes hamster down Chron-o-John*

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  13. NonEvent

NonEvent User

Hang on, you're saying Game Dev is the WORST?? The others must be a fucking blast in that case *downloads*

14. Slave

Slave User

I haven't played Pocket Academy or Hot Springs but my main ISSUE with Game Dev, addictive as it was, is that it took FAR too long to get going properly and the returned stats on each product only really seem to reflect how far the game wants you to get at that point. Nothing ever seemed to become affordable but that didn't appear to matter anyway *releases Animal Racing 10 on the Commodore 64 to critical acclaim*

15. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

That definitely doesn't tally with what I've read elsewhere, which usually says that Hot Springs is a bit too esoteric for a UK audience and Pocket Academy is sorely in need of a tutorial and is pretty hard to work out without one.

16. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

My fucking iTunes account has been HACKED. I put on a £65 gift card yesterday and it's now all gone BAR THREE PENCE on some shitty Kingdom Chaos app and it's micro transactions :manson:

Apparently it's HUGE problem. GET THIS SORTED APPLE.

17. Samuel

Samuel User

That happened to me earlier this year. Apple took about 10 days to finally sort it out. They managed to get £70 from me for some SHIT application.

18. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Bastards. UTTER BASTARDS.

It doesn't help the rigmarole you have to go through to file a discrepancy.

19. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Oh what a BUGGER. You have my sympathies.

It was bad enough getting my refund for Final Fantasy Tactics through - though the chief effort was finding who to MOAN at. Once I'd nailed that part, it was a breeze and they couldn't have been more helpful (or forthcoming with my CASH).

20. TurnerPrize

I need MORE ANGRY BIRDS. I've completed all the games* and i need more dammit, FUCKING MORE. Roll on the new Rio episodes. After expecting that one to be a shoddy tie in i think i loved it just as much. I want the pigs back next but the monkey's make for a nice diversion.

And TA for your LIST widge. From a quick scan of that i've just bought Phoenix Wright and (based on your Jamie Oliver recommendation) NIGELLA. I'm regretting an impulse Sim City purchase though. I forgot how TEDIOUS it was, and for a whole five english pounds too. So far though it seems like the ipad is the first console (such as it is) that i actually enjoy playing games on.

Also, do any history nerds have any app recommendations? For anyone who knows/loves London i would definitely recommend History Here: London, which has little facts and frequently fabulous archive newsreel footage of loads and loads of locations. And Dan Snow pops up from time to time, if he floats your boat.

*i'm saving the christmas episode for a nice december treat

21. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I had a bit of an Angry Birds binge too, I'm not living for Rio but it's alright.

I want another SPACE LEVEL

22. ZZ

ZZ eternally ruffled feathers

Did you download the Airfield Chase episode?

23. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

What what whaaaat? :o

I think the last bit i had was the bogus Mardi Gras one

24. ZZ

Well, I got an update notification yesterday and it downloaded the 5th level called 'Airfield Chase'. It's good.

25. TurnerPrize

Oh zz you LOVELY MAN. I'm downloading it right now.

26. OhSnap

OhSnap Who?

I must have downloaded about 150 apps last weekend but i've been absolutely HOOKED on Sonic
    the onscreen controls are a bit annoying but I love it!

I must also add my disdain for Angry Birds, and any other 'cute' character games :zombie:

27. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

We are being SPOILT for Angry Birds this week, there was another set of the original AB levels, a Chinese Seasons update, and I think that's another Rio one to download, haven't done it yet. I'd love boss fights in the other AB games, I just don't like Rio as much. I mean what the fuck is the blue parrot one meant to do?

28. ZZ

It just flies on a straight line and gives a massive hit (if you're lucky).

I downloaded the Mooncake Festival seasons update, but finished it already with 3 stars in all levels. I'm an Angry Birds addict :shy: Gimme more

29. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

WHAT!! :o
    Some of those mooncake levels were a right bastard :(

30. ZZ

It took me about 2-3 days but it's done. Now I need to find another addictive game.

31. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I don't know WHICH Angry Birds to indulge in THIS WEEK.

Welcome back.

32. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Yes, because its not really that much of a challenge to rake in the money and ratings by the end of the game. Where Pocket Academy you can end up royally fucked if you don't set off right. Plus the joy of creating in Pocket Academy and Hot Springs, much more fun to have a finished creation by the end of it, rather than the management style of GDS.

I can update this now to:

Pocket Academy
    Hot Springs
    Grand Prix
    Mega Mall
    Game Dev

I'm expective great things from RPG Story!

33. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

You see this is what I don't understand. What is there to get about designing a Hot Spring? I know it is a Japanese thing but its not rocket science. You are simply trying to give people nice places to sleep, good relaxation services and facilities. Keep it looking pretty, try to maximise the potential of the facilities by discovering the combinations.

Pocket Academy builds on Hot Springs by being really challenging. People often found that they were fucked on this by over stretching themselves. Hiring too many teachers and building too many expensive facilities at once. Found it quite satisfying building a school. In comparison, GDS is fine as you go along, but eventually you are just plopping for select game type, do it, items items items, finished. Over and over until the end of the game. Grand Prix story gives you a bit more to do and achieve in it, but is of a similar vein. Without having an actual creation part of it, it can become a grind as you just wait for things to happen.

34. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Mega Mall down to 1.49 at the moment. I did like GDS much at all though so I'm thinking I should save my cash until one of the Widge Top 2 gets a price drop. Hmmmmm.....

35. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

When are they doing Grindr with video chat?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  36. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Grindr 1.6 has been submitted for approval - the big WOO is that it includes the ability to zoom in on people's pictures. Amazing. Or NOT.

I'd imagine video chat is scheduled for some time in 2057.

37. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

But the pictures so SO LOW QUALITY I wouldn't want to ZOOM in ANYWAY.

Video would probably be saved for Grindr Xtra I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  38. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I've heard that from others too (about the pictures). But they seem JUST FINE to me. But then I only look at it when I'm on WiFi, so maybe they downgrade them for 3G access?

Speaking of which, O2 decided 4 days ago that I'd used all my data allowance for the month and would be CRAWLING along at a SNAIL'S PACE for the rest of the month. This sounded like a load of old CUNT to me, so I had a ranty phone call with them this morning during which it became apparent there had been a mistake or SOMETHING. Dreadful. I'd move to Vodafone when my iPhone 5 comes A CALLING next month if I wasn't on an O2 Friends & Family plan which means I pay BOG ALL for the phone OR the contract :evil:

39. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Vodafone have foreign based call centres. Enough to put me off.

I used up all my data allowance after listening to Kiss all day ( :disco: ) and I thought I could manage 4 days going at a SNAIL'S PACE. Not a chance and I paid £3 to get 100MB of data. You don't realise till it's gone.

40. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Crikey - Another World has been released. I LOVED this game

[​IMG]