Is Dragula worth bothering with?

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by lolly, Jun 24, 2018.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Just noticed it's on Prime. And it's on tour, playing here in September. I think I'll give it a go.

2. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I've watched both seasons but it's very VERY low rent. I found it really hard to tell the queens apart at times and some of it just grim gross out stuff which I didn't enjoy. The doom rock they prance about to on stage is very trying too.

Plus the editing is a disaster, every episode is too long, you can't hear what anyone's saying half the time.

The Boulet Bros are fabulous though and it's worth tuning in just to see what they're wearing each week.

3. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I've yet to delve into it fully, but my friend who's a fan is adamant that people should start with season 2 as the production values are much higher. Apparently season 1 looks like it was filmed on someone's mobile phone :D

4. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I think "much" higher is pushing it, but it definitely is a notch up from the first :D

I think they reedited the first season and redid the sound before they shoved it on Prime as you literally couldn't hear what was being said half the time.

5. lolly

They must have done. I've just watched it, and the quality is fine. Admittedly on a tablet rather than a big screen, but quality seemed comparable to SD.

I liked it enough to stick with it.

6. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Ooh I keep threatening to watch this,
    It’s even officially on YouTube (or at least S2). But every time I think about it, there’s been some series of Drag Race running or starting

7. lolly

It did all feel a bit sub Sharon Needles, and I guess considering the theme, that's not likely to change.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  8. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Both are on Youtube I think, though Season 1 is probably not the "improved" version.

It is all a bit sub-Sharon to be honest. Drink a shot every time someone comes on stage and vomits/dribbles/spits a weird coloured liquid out of their mouths and you'll be three sheets to the wind before you can say ALASKA IS A GUEST JUDGE.

The Boulets show how to do subversive/weird drag well (though presumably with a hell of a budget behind them) but the queens pretty much look like they're recreating the dumpster challenge every week. Despite the opening titles, most of the don't bring the GLAMOUR.

dUb likes this.
  9. wurst

wurst User

I think the first season is great! Vander is one of the best queens i’ve ever seen on ANY season of Drag Race or Dragula and there’s plenty of drama/interesting challenges if you can stick the lo-fi production values (Meatball is a gem & Loris is basically Laganja mark II)

The second season is fun, but the personalities aside from James Majesty weren’t there for me. It all became a bit too Instagram although some of the looks (mainly from Victoria) were amazing. Monikkie Shame was a choice for casting however considering her views and situation IRL (she’s an open racist with severe addiction issues) and the first elimination challenge is genuinely unsettling and too much for reality TV (albeit not actually aired on TV itself) in my opinion.

10. lolly

Finished Dragula season one last night. The fact it took a month for 6 episodes says it all, but I did enjoy it quietly. Vander clearly the right winner.

I look forward to the big budget of season two!

11. lolly

Season three incoming

12. wurst

wurst User

Oh I am so here for this. Production budget INCREASED.

That's SUCH a strong cast too - Landon Cider is pretty much the world's number 1 drag king, Evah Destruction is arguably more famous than some Drag Race queens and Hollow Eve & Yovska are both amazing! Pegging the Exclamation Point for first out :disco:

13. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I think I've watched about 50% of each season, it's quite enjoyable for what it is. Here for season 3.

14. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I don’t know why I’m not so here for this, does the horror stuff get a bit boring after a while, or is there more variation in the themes?

Having said that, I LOVE the name Louisianna Purchase :D

15. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I watched the reveals and was THRILLED that they involved lots of the queens gobbing out a viscous substance in SLO MO :zombie:

STEP IT UP, Boulets

Evah Destruction has been touted for Drag Race for years (along with Bible Girl and now Vander), so that's quite a catch. My big hope is that they make the whole thing a whole lot SNAPPIER.

16. lolly

Season 3 starts August 27

17. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Does that mean they're aiming for a Halloween finale? 8-9 weeks sounds about the right length and would be a better spend of the (meagre) budget rather than stretching it out.

I'm curious to see if this is going to be any better, production values wise, so will definitely be watching the first one.

18. lolly

Just watched the first episode. Relatively (compared to the first two seasons) impressed. I'm not sure the budget is that much greater, but it's definitely more polished.

Think the standard of competitor is pretty high as well, and Hollow Eve is clearly going to be an agitator. I just wonder if she's going to be too abrasive to have much impact.

19. wurst

wurst User

Hmmm the opener was GOOD but not quite as exciting as I was expecting considering the talent in the cast. I much preferred the badly recorded season 1 witch-themed opener.

The queens almost seemed a bit nervous in the much more polished environment like they felt like they didn’t belong :D

That said, Madelyn Hatter was a FABULOUS bitch of the Raven variety who I hope stays till the end just to stir the pot (she also reminds me of Jennifer Coolidge, visually). Landon, Youksva, Dollya and Evah were all SERVING looks with others not far behind.

Hollow Eve’s comments about the word “fishy” seem to have caused quite a debate online, which I think is actually a good thing as the gay community can be a very misogynistic place - and it’s something that isn’t often looked at or talked about. Yes they were a bit over-worthy, overly woke and generally a bit irritating in how they delivered it - but the debate has to start somewhere. If it means they have to be on their soapbox every single week to push it through, i will allow it albeit through vaguely gritted teeth.

20. wurst

wurst User

This series seems weird - there's very little showing of the ACTUAL floorshow/looks which are 95% of what I'm tuning in for!
    The workroom drama seems stilted and petty. It's like they are being forced to sit around and make mildly shady remarks to each other. At least James/Monikkie in season 2 was REAL and all the better for it.

That said, I LOVE Landon. I'm getting total Vander/winner vibes for him and his look this week was one of the best I've ever seen on this show or Drag Race. All the details...it was just perfection. Hollow Eve's look this week was also pretty special. Youksva's was a DISASTER.

21. lolly

Agree totally about the floor show and how they edit it. You just hardly see anyone performing, other than a few seconds spliced in with everyone else. When you're having a challenge as performance based as burlesque, why on earth not show it? I felt as if I had nothing to judge the entire episode on other than the look.