Jamelia - Walk With Me

Discussion in 'The Classics - Albums and Songs' started by Raining On Me, Jul 17, 2011.

?

More Alexis Jordan than Beyonce or WHAT?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

20.0%
  3. 8

40.0%
  4. 7

10.0%
  5. 6

10.0%
  6. 5

10.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

10.0%
  1. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I thought (apparently, it was a silly thought) there might be a thread on this in the ARCHIVES. I couldn't see it so I shall drag this album back from the depths of pop darkness with a TOPIC. Really I am just wondering what the general opinion of this was, because for whatever reason I always thought at the time this was a VERY GOOD album of its type and to be honest I have regularly come back to it, though not to the length I seemingly am RIGHT NOW.

Still, I think this is such a strong set of songs and I've always felt Jamelia was so much better as a popstar than the cheapness that seemed to surround her in the aftermath and ever since (HAIR EXTENSION documentaries anyone?). She's always seemed really competent as a vocalist and like I say, I think these songs make for a pretty damn sturdy album. "Beware of the Dog" is like a septic sore thumb among this lot although of course it's still NOT BAD. It's just not a Jamelia song, not really...

I adore "Something About You" but it probably killed things from the start. I see "No More" didn't even make the top 40 which is also criminal.

Do Me Right, Window Shopping, Ain't A Love and La La Love are all GUILTY GEMS too. I just hope she can come back, I really would oddly welcome it...

2. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

Oh i'm ALL ABOUT panel show star Jamelia, and think she's been utterly marvellous on every one. In fact has she been on any recently? It feels like it's been too long.

ON TOPIC, i've not heard this album, but using the flop singles as a representative sample i'd probably give it 7/10.

3. Raining On Me

I love Jamelia the panel and documentary STARLET, but I want those 7.5/10 VOX to be unleashed on some more pop/urban/RnB ditties now.

The singles of Walk with Me sound nothing like anything else on there. I mean I doubt anything could have made this successful but in general it's QUITE CONSISTENT

4. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I love it. It's really top drawer stuff and should have sent her into the stratosphere- Something About You is phenomenal...

5. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

i used to like this quite a bit, there's some serious filler on it but the standouts are all great.

6. Define Life

Define Life User

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LzCtl2v8Ao0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used to love this one.

7. Kevin

Kevin Stand by for resurrection

I still love it.

8. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

It really is so much better than a Jamelia album has any right to be: Something About You, Hustle & No More are all 10/10 moments.

I don't know why it didn't work out for her, actually I probably do, but at the time this album really felt like it should have propelled her in to MEGASTARDOM (well, within the UK, anyway) and yet instead it put the final nail in her coffin. Still, it did feel like she had NINE LIVES.

9. Jark

Jark User

10 Something About You
    10 Do Me Right
    09 Window Shopping (yes it's trashy as hell and yes it samples Are You Being Served? - I don't care)
    09 Know My Name (could've been a fantastic third single)
    07 No More
    08 Ain't A Love
    08 La La Love (very pretty)
    08 Go
    08 Get Up, Get Out
    10 Beware Of The Dog
    08 Got It So Good
    09 Hustle

Incredibly consistent album with four-five potential hit singles... unfortunately No More was not one of them.

10. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

Jamelia's a funny one for me. I was definitely on board from the early days. (I bought the Money CD single boys.) However, giving her back catalogue a listen reveals there are only two songs that still really stand up: Superstar and See It In A Boy's Eyes. Even the best of the rest (Money, Beware of the Dog, Call Me) is middling R&B pop that hasn't aged well at ALL.

11. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

My favourite was "Know My Name"

[video=youtube;oF-6XK7A1iU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-6XK7A1iU[/video]

12. Raining On Me

Oh that's pleasing, I really had no idea what the general view of this was. Especially since I'm not sure I've met a single person who has HEARD it

Just what DID HAPPEN? I don't think "Beware" is as good as it thinks it is but it still should have been bigger than it was. Did radio just not give a shit that time around? But then I suppose she didn't exactly HURRY IT UP after (finally) getting a bit of success. I think "Something About You" was horribly neglected too in the eyes and ears of the public, sadly I don't think it clicked with many. I can see why but it's lovely..

13. Raining On Me

I think that was a more than decent single choice, it just didn't MATTER by that stage. Clearly it got no exposure to flop on that level.

Maybe people just hate Jamelia :(

14. Devil

Devil I Need A House

I think the indifference was just to her. Not as much as Rachel Stevens (as this album did at least shift about 70-80k from memory), but a similar sort of thing. She just had nothing to stand her out and the public just didn't care. Let's face it, without "Superstar" she would've been a gonna. Yes, the two follow-up singles charted well but "Thank You" is hardly a well remembered #2 hit, and the album sold decent but it was along the lines of Sophie E B (ie: it seemed to take a hell of a lot of effort just to sell 500k of the album). And despite "Superstar" being massive worldwide none of the follow-ups did anything at all.

Which is a shame because I love all three singles from the album. I never listened to it as a whole much but from memory it was decent enough.

15. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

It was an excellent album. It must have been ruined by her really, I can't see any other way around it.

08 Something About You
    08 Do Me Right
    08 Window Shopping
    07 Know My Name
    09 No More
    08 Ain't A Love
    08 La La Love
    08 Go
    08 Get Up, Get Out
    09 Beware Of The Dog
    07 Got It So Good
    08 Hustle

16. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

As I recall Something About You and Beware of the Dog both got very heavy airplay, but people just weren't interested.

17. Ag

Ag User

There was a CRACKING (Mr Oizo I think) remix of Something About You

*looks for*

18. Ag

Ag User

Yes.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FfF7DtJKn18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not as good as I remember it.

19. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Relating back to Rachel Stevens, both So Good and I Said Never Again got good airplay as well. Jamelia really was like a slightly more credible/r&b based version of her in the public's eyes I guess.

20. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

09 Something About You
    08 Do Me Right
    09 Window Shopping
    07 Know My Name
    09 No More
    08 Ain't A Love
    08 La La Love
    08 Go
    08 Get Up, Get Out
    10 Beware Of The Dog
    08 Got It So Good
    08 Hustle

21. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Something About You popped up on my Spotify and reminded me all about this (still) solid pop album

Is Jamelia still hating on fat people :D

22. Suedey

Suedey CRAVE

Why is there no zero option?