Japan declares state of emergency re: nuclear power plant

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Suedey, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Suedey

Suedey [Women yelling in background]

Earthquake

Tsunami

Some nuclear power plant has failed to cool but no leak.

2. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

It's really worrying and truly awful.

However, if there's any country that knows how to deal with Earthquakes and its aftermaths in all forms, it's Japan.

So, fingers crossed.

3. octophone

octophone The Electrocutioner

It's just the lack of power to the cooling system; it's a precaution in a very extreme situation. Needless to say, Twitter has the apocaypse starting right now...

4. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

This area of the world is FUCKED

5. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

That tsunami is terrifying - the shots of the boats just off the coast are unreal.

6. Mats

Mats User

hundreds of dead bodies found on the beach in Sendai. it's horrible :(

7. Mats

Mats User

insane

[​IMG]

it looks like toys!

8. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

Goodness :( I was watching a clip on the Guardian website as the tsunami progressed, it was quite surreal.

9. Mats

Mats User

holy shit

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMBZiEKP1Zo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMBZiEKP1Zo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

10. octophone

octophone The Electrocutioner

It's true: nature can outdo almost anything humanity can imagine.

On the plus side, it seems the cooling system at the nuclear reactor is now functional.

11. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Absolutely Octophone. The footage of the cars trying to outrun the water is chilling :(

Other shocking clips I've seen today: the burning houses being swept along, that huge whirlpool with the boat spinning round in it, the boats and cars smashing under that viaduct. Jeez.

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

That CNN anchor is a right idiot. Half smirk on her face during her delivery (not in that clip) and was going on about being FLOODED WITH TWEETS.

:manson:

13. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

There were some shocking moments on BBC News this morning. I think the low point was when the woman hosting said words to the effect of: "Other countries in the Pacific basin have been issued with tsunami warnings...this will be a particular blow for Australia, especially in hindsight of the recent earthquake in NEW ZEALAND."

TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES YOU STUPID BITCH

She then went on to ask someone who was an earthquake expert of some kind: "HOW ARE THE CHILDREN GOING TO COPE WITH THESE EVENTS?" WTF?

anyway. There are some sensational photos here: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/massive_earthquake_hits_japan.html

14. wendy the goat

wendy the goat Теги возврата

15. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

:D

16. Music

Music User

Those photos are shocking, it really does look like something from a movie.

I hope this isn't a sign of THE END :(

17. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

One of my friends was travelling in Sendai only a few days ago, but luckily she left yesterday.

18. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

One of my friends said earlier that the tidle waves were like the scenes from Deep Impact. :(

19. POP!

POP! Not unhinged or unhappy

Those pictures really are unreal. Apparently the deathtoll is already zooming past 1000, awful.

20. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

Were they poorly animated, as well?

21. Mats

Mats User

a new quake has hit the northwestern part of the mainland near Nagano

22. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Some of the journalism surrounding this whole disaster has been utterly appalling again, the examples by Moonbaby and Christian only proove that but the coverage over here has been absolutely pathetic as well. You would think that they are going to ask people with some more instinct/tact to cover those topics but with some reporters I get the feeling ANY 14-year-old could do better.

The death toll is 1,000 at the moment but with nearly 100,000 reported missing, the death is obviously going to be far far higher. And unfortunately Miyagi prefecture is the most densely populated area of Japan north of the Kanto (Tokyo/Yokohama) area and relatively flat. :(

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  23. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Remember the Indonesia/Indian Ocean Tsunami?

6 hours after it occured the death toll was estimated to be around 2,000. I was driving into a ski holiday with my parents and told them that they might be looking at 200,000 rather than 2,000 fatalities over the next few days which they wouldn't believe me at first. :(

24. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

They were saying there were several aftershocks today that were all bigger than the Christchurch one last month :o

It's really horrifying :(

Have to feel bad for the owners of the house I saw in one of the pictures, flooded and on fire at the same time :o

25. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Yeah I hate when they start off saying quite definitively that the death toll is 25 or whatever they were saying. At least this time (and they rarely do) they said it's likely to increase a lot, it's always a HUGE increase. :(

26. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

I could wax lyrical about this for hours cos it's something I looked at in my dissertation, but it really is just the pressures of rolling news. After the tsunami hit, not a lot actually happened; most of the coverage was people trying to make sense of it all and just going "jesus fucking christ, look at what's happened". But even though there's no news, aside from the death toll creeping up steadily over the course of 12 hours and tsunami alerts that (thankfully) amounted to nothing, they've still got time to fill because people will constantly be tuning in wanting to know what's happened.

So it's not a case of "any 14 year-old being able to do better" at all - I rather think a 14 year old would flounder in that situation. It's just the way of these things. There will always be moments of "what the fuck is he/she talking about?" but when you have a few of those moments scattered over several hours of continued coverage where nothing really happens at all, it's not so bad. No one does their job perfectly and broadcasting is no different.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  27. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

For comparison purposes, not that the conditions are the same but the Kobe earthquake in 1995 was magnitude 6.8 and it killed over 6,000 people ...

28. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

those photos made me feel physically sick. At least as it was in the middle of the day, the people who lived there would have, more likely than not, been out at work or at school. What about their pets who were left behind? It breaks my heart.

29. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

30. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

:(

well i've read a lot of things over the years about cats getting the willies before natural disasters, so just imagine they all FLED inland

31. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

where to? straight in the path of the tsunami? And what about farm animals?

:(

32. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

dp. galore

33. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Yeah, you're deffo right. It's an immense task to present running news on a topic like this in a both empathetic and informative way over several hours and some of them are doing an astonishing job given the circumstances, the fact that they've got other tidbits and imformation coming in every 5 seconds and so on. Reading it back, it does sound as if I implied that literally all news channels and newspeople were completely incapable of doing so when in reality a lot of them really have done a fine job.

It's just that those who are doing a bad job really stick in my head and make me angry beyond belief.

34. Mats

Mats User

I'm watching NHK right now. they just informed about an aftershock in Chiba prefecture

35. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Ugh I hadn't seen any TV coverage of this until just now, it just made me feel sick :( I know they try to play it up to sound more awful than it is (though it IS) but still.

I'm quite desensitized to disasters now, I fear I'm quite cold about stuff like this. But this is JAPAN, it just has a special place for me, I know that's horrible but it's how I feel

maybe it's because it's a more developed country than Haiti for example, it's more like the sort of way of life we have here so it's easier to empathise?? I don't know if that's what it i s, does that make any sense? :shy:

36. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

I don't think anyone's doing a bad job - it's just, as I said, momentary blips that just make everyone go "you fucking moron" but it's easy enough for us to say when we're not on the other side of that camera, literally being watched by the world.

37. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

And some of the videos are like a dreadful disaster/horror movie.

You see those STREAMS of water mixed with debris racing over solid ground and rising quickly and right next to them is a motorway with cars still driving next to the debris-water streams. I had to hold myself not to shout 'GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE' quite loudly.

Awful stuff.

38. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

I read a book about 9/11 recently, and one of the first things that was discussed was that people were so shocked by what happened because the west had become the victim of violence instead of being witness to it. It's the same thing here, as you said.

39. Floppet

Floppet Spider murderer

I was surreptitiously watching footage on my work computer this afternoon with one earphone in and there was a woman supermarket worker during the earthquake who was trying to hold the shelves up. I gave myself away when I inadvertantly screeched at her "get away from the fecking shelves you stupid woman!". The other three in the office looked at me like I was loony. It was really frightening though, soon we were all watching it.

40. Mats

Mats User

I did the exact same thing :D

canned soup is the least of your worries you moron!