Jark's all-important top 111 of '09

Discussion in 'End Of Year Charts' started by Jark, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Jark

Jark User

Before I take you on this JOURNEY let's have a look at some fun facts regarding my list:

-It features 65 artists, 55 of which are female, and a further eleven guest vocalists
    -One artist has five songs on the list, four have four, nine have three, and I can't be arsed with the twos and ones
    -There are 6 foreign-language songs and 21 sung by British artists
    -65 songs were released as singles in various countries and 3 more are confirmed future singles; 10 are not available an album as of yet
    -That's it

I'll also be doing a Top 11 albums of '09 about half way through the countdown. Any predictions, besides the fact that it'll almost certainly be ludicrous? :disco:

2. Jark

Jark User

Oh it's actually a Top 111 :( This is not off to a good start

3. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Pixie Lott for #1? :disco:

4. Jark

Jark User

Don't BLASPHEME like that POP! :angry:

5. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

:basil:

6. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

*fixed*

111 though? I take it you didn't rate any of these songs lower than 14/10 :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  7. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

This countdown NEEDS MORE SONGS

(i mean not more songs overall, just more actually in the thread)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  8. Jark

Jark User

Let's begin! :disco:

111 ∙ Henok Achido 'Pusher' ft.Sophia Somajo ∙ Swe DNC ∙ Taken from 'Almaz Charming Child'

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4CQ8d2CXyI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4CQ8d2CXyI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Henok Achido is some Swedish-American rapper as far as I can see. I discovered this when obsessing over Sophia Somajo who is on guest vocals ooh and aahing over the chorus. I'm not a big hip-hop lover but I like a slice every now and then and this definitely satisfies the appetite, especially with the melancholic chorus.

110 ∙ Esmée Denters 'Outta Here' ∙ NL #3, UK #7 ∙ Taken from 'Outta Here'Click to watch

For a while earlier in the year I obsessed over this generic piece of danceable pop from the Netherlands' newest gift to the pop scene (and probably their only one?). It's still nice and upbeat but certainly nothing special. Surprisingly it managed a UK top 10 on release. She best savour it because the follow-up 'Admit It' isn't in any danger of charting.

109 ∙ Eva Simons 'Silly Boy' ∙ NL #13, Oz #45Watch

It seems I spoke too soon, for here is another Dutch pop song! Are they breeding or something? Anyway Silly Boy was an exceptionally blatant attempt at taking advantage of Rihanna's brief absence by thrusting out a girl with a haircut a bit like Ri's singing a song that was half-generic RedOne, half-Don't Stop The Music, and for a while it looked like it might work, with the song garnering significant buzz on the internet. Sadly it seemed that the anticipation for Rihanna-lite was in fact non-existent, and this missed the top 10 in her home country. Good old Eva has taken it on the chin then and is pressing on with her second single (which features CHRIS BROWN would you believe), and she returns the favour on the delightfully-titled 'Pass Out' on his new epic.

108 ∙ Amerie 'Heard 'Em All' ∙ US R&B #81 ∙ Taken from 'In Love & War'Watch

Amerie released the only great song from her fourth album at the end of the summer but sadly the world just did not care. Heard 'Em All features ms Mi Marie Rogers gyrating against some angry tribal drums and bitching about how the men in her life are all talk. Perhaps it was a veiled reference to LA Reid who gave her an expensive contract at Def Jam before failing entirely to promote her. It's no Gotta Work or Blow but it is an Amerie banger and as such is worth three minutes of any R&B lover's time.

107 ∙ Ashley Tisdale 'How Do You Love Someone' ∙ Taken from 'Guilty Pleasure'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RyZbcoeFkv0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RyZbcoeFkv0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now don't write her off on name alone because this is a genuinely great power-pop ballad bursting with 80s drums and drama. I was pretty shocked when my friend held me at gunpoint and forced me to listen to the appropriately-titled Guilty Pleasure album to find that there were five or six great songs hidden underneath her paper-thin vox, but none can compete with the smouldering emotion of this. What a backing track.

106 ∙ Ayumi Hamasaki 'Sparkle' ∙ Jp #1 ∙ Taken from 'Next Level'Watch

Of the big four women of J-Pop I'm rarely keen on anything put out by Ayumi, but this thundering uptempo from the summer is one of those songs which destroys everything in its path and demands that the listener punches the air at regular intervals in the song. This is Ayu so there's even less snatches of English lyrics than in most J-Pop but the words are irrelevant anyway. It's all about the feeling of BAD ASS that this creates.

105 ∙ LeToya 'Take Away Love' ft.Estelle ∙ Taken from 'Lady Love'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwOECrxK4FE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwOECrxK4FE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Like all good diva collaborations this opens with a phone call being played out. LeToya just can't seem to make her man see that it's over. Estelle expresses some shock over this, given that LeToya has moved to another country, but no, it's true. This, 'Stelle advises, means LeToya has to take away her love! Basically this song is utterly ridiculous but at the same time incredibly lush, a slow jam with a bit of added bounce. It would've been much higher had I downloaded Toy's incredible album earlier than last week.

104 ∙ Enrique Iglesias 'Takin' Back My Love' ft.Ciara ∙ UK #12 ∙ Taken from 'Greatest Hits'Watch

Another meeting of reasonably big names here with Ciara and Enrique moodily insisting that they love each other for factors other than money and fame. This is definitely one of the most impressive RedOne efforts of the year even if it does stick faithfully to his formula. The video is a proper gem too - such a lovely house! Watch out for more from the princess of dance or whatever she calls herself later on in this countdown.

103 ∙ Shy'm 'Step Back' ft.Odessa Thornhill ∙ Fr DNC ∙ Taken from 'Reflets'

<div><object width="420" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9wh2y" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9wh2y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="339" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9wh2y">Clip | Shy'm Feat. Odessa Thornhill : Step Back</a></b><br /><i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Henrietta-Aime-Fumer_Tv">Henrietta-Aime-Fumer_Tv</a></i></div>

Shy'm is a French R&B singer who I stumbled across entirely by accident earlier this year. I believe she won a talent show or something but you'd never guess it from her second album which is sultry, dark, electronic-tinged R&B/soul without a hint of radio-tailored hit single on its tracklist. Step Back has a simple English chorus, the only song on the album not sung entirely in French, and features a lady called Odessa Thornhill about whom I can't find any information at all, who seems only to belt a few adlibs near the end. Perhaps pretty Shy'm isn't a belter. The video is a bit Gaga in styling so do have a gander.

102 ∙ Electrik Red 'Muah' ∙ Taken from 'How To Be A Lady Vol.1'Watch

Girls come at the drop of a dime
    But their candies ain't quite like mine

Now I love what The-Dream did with Mariah on Memoirs but frankly if he'd given her anything even half as batty, derranged and downright naughty as his stuff with girl group Electrik Red I'm quite sure there would be NO silly accousations of 'boring' :hitler: Muah isn't the most filfthy song on Lady Vol.1 but it is a hypnotic jam with an addictive kiss-off chorus. The entire album is the sort of shameless soundtrack to sex that makes the likes of Danity Kane look (even more) like cheap amateur whores.

101 ∙ Rihanna 'Rude Boy' ∙ Taken from 'Rated R'Watch

Babe if I don't feel it I ain't fakin'

Just missing out on my top hundred is this cut from Rihanna's masterful new album. Rude Boy is probably the song closest to the more commercial sound of Good Girl Gone Bad but it's still decidely dark. The short intro throws you off before launching into swirling synths and what I hope is a knowingly crap set of lyrics encouraging sexytime. Hopefully a future single.

9. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I'm playing that Ashley Tisdale song now for the first time. I think i mainly only like her when she's Sharpay but it's not bad, like.

I do like the second verse, arrogant witch.

10. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Oh this thread should be very good :disco:

11. Jark

Jark User

100 ∙ Carrie Underwood 'Cowboy Casanova' ∙ US #11 ∙ Taken from 'Play On'Watch

Carrie's recent comeback single still doesn't reach the great, dizzying heights of the likes of Wasted and particularly Before He Cheats, and it feels a tad unfinished, but it's still a joyous romp with a massive chorus and a huge dollop of feel-good. WHEN will her label see sense and give her that UK push at last?

099 ∙ David Guetta 'When Love Takes Over' ft.Kelly Rowland ∙ UK #1, De #2, Fr #2, US #76 ∙ Taken from 'One Love'Watch

There's not a lot I can really say about this - very deserved UK #1, wonderful vehicle to get K-Ro a bit of limelight and a genuinely brilliant dance song (in a very shit dance scene) with a fairly inspired sample.

098 ∙ Sophia Somajo 'I-rony' ∙ Swe DNC ∙ Taken from 'The Laptop Diaries'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yfpmbXPssuM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yfpmbXPssuM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I LOVE THIS GIRL. I did a post in Pop about her a little while ago and it was entirely ignored but I still maintain that she's the absolute tits. Basically she's a Swedish singer who recorded her entire debut album by herself on her laptop, from the vocals for which she used the in-built mic to the production and lyrics. She did everything. She even directed the videos for her singles including this, I-rony, which is probably the most catchy, obvious single on an album with very few obvious 'hits'. The whole thing has a MOOD about it though. She sounds like Robyn vocally but perhaps more like Lykke Li musically and she's not at all mainstream but she IS great.

12. Jark

Jark User

97 ∙ Natalie Imbruglia 'Lukas' ∙ Taken from 'Come To Life'Listen on youtube

I thought you'd never ask...

This lovely, slightly quirky cut from Natalie's most recent album (which FYI was the most successful BUZZ album EVER RELEASED beating VV Brown by miles) was a leftover from Coldplay's Viva La Vida OPUS (if you don't love it POP! will eat you) and was rumoured to be a single (of the buzz nature naturally) until she decided the world was ready for her REAL ACTUAL ALBUM now that she has a shitload of BUZZ...

96 ∙ Nelly Furtado 'Más' ∙ De DNC ∙ Taken from 'Mi Plan'Watch

Some Spanish lingo...

The second single from Nelly's very delightful Spanish language album failed to chart even in Germany where ooooh Nelly is like the national catchphrase but it remains a boppy and uplifting slice of musique, particularly the dark and dingy middle 8. I'd be more than happy if she stuck to this direction for her next opus d'anglaise.

95 ∙ Royksopp 'It's What I Want' ∙ Taken from 'Junior'Listen

THAT'S COMPLICATED

This little trifle from old Roy's new album Junior is a little repetetive with only one chorus and no verses but who cares? It's laid-back vocoder heaven. Just grab a tia maria, jump in the jacuzzi and play it on loop until you're nodding off.

94 ∙ Jordin Sparks 'SOS (Let The Music Play)' ∙ UK #13 ∙ Taken from 'Battlefield'/i] ∙ Watch

That crazy CHICK
    Don't know WHO she's MESSIN WIT'

Okay so it's not really as hood as that choice lyric would suggest but SOS is nonetheless (oh, that rhymes) a highlight of Jordin's otherwise ballad-heavy sophomore opus. She even looks quite pretty in the video, in that big girl kind of way, but I still would (and just to get this out of the way, SHUT UP VoR).

93 ∙ Pitbull 'I Know You Want Me' ∙ US #2, UK #4 ∙ Taken from 'Rebelution'Watch

Mama got an ass like a donkey
    With a monkey look like king kawnnggg

Perhaps you have a problem with this choice, perhaps you don't, but I Know You Want Me whilst being a pig headed song sung by a man with the head of a pig is a damn fine soundtrack to a MIDWEEK GRIND down in the local seedy club where the resident DJ is called SPHYNX or something similar. You know I'm right.

92 ∙ Rihanna 'Wait Your Turn' ∙ UK #45 (to date) ∙ Taken from 'Rated R'Watch

Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win...

Now some people can't handle that the original bajan bitch has gone all hard and fierce and shit - get it together people. This is Rihanna now, and in fact if you had ANY CLUE about these things you would say her name like Ri-arrr-na. DO YOU? No, I thought not, but anyway, this is a gyrating dirty number with a big singalong chorus and I imagine it will be a UK smash hit sangle soon.

91 ∙ Girls Can't Catch 'Keep Your Head Up' (Starsmith Edit) ∙ UK #26Watch

All I'm gonna do is bite my lip and leave it at that...

I couldn't find this remix to these shitty bitches' flop debut single on youtube so the link is merely the original I'm afraid (which is STILL AIIGHT) but the Starsmith edit really does add an odd sort of gay/indie sensibility to the song which should not go unappreciated. Once I'd burned the song out I merely replaced it in my HOT SHIT playlist with this remix and VOILA, that magic was back.

13. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I feel I'm in the minority with this, but I just DO NOT LIKE Lukas at all.

14. POP!

Oh I'm quite pleased to see "S.O.S." on the list, I'm sure Jordin is celebrating as we speak. :disco:

I haven't bothered with Natalie's BUZZ ALBUM, should I?

15. Jark

Jark User

Natalie's BUZZ OPUS has nothing truly exceptional on (other than Want) but it's very solid and takes a couple more risks than anything since her debut

16. POP!

I'd give "Want" a 6/10, it's sort of fun but not sure I'd want to listen to an album where that's the best thing on it.

I do love a good 10 track album every once in awhile though.

17. Alex

Alex Go fish

Fun fun fun!
    it's so much better than "Lukas" when it comes to the Chris Martin stuff. It's just so sad :(

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  18. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I think WYUT is almost as good as Want, but other than that, I agree.

19. Jark

Jark User

90 ∙ Keri Hilson 'I Like' ∙ De TBA ∙ Taken from the soundtrack to ZweiohrkükenWatch on youtube

And the world around us
    Won't stop turning tonight

Now this is a little gem from some obscure German film's soundtrack which really deserves to be released more widely but alas Ms Keri is busy working on her next album, due before the Summer begins, and perhaps the public need a break from her after the um, smash hit of Energy :rolleyes: The melancholy of the chorus and the aforementioned lyric makes me HIGH on loveliness.

89 ∙ Dolly Rockers 'Gold Digger' ∙ UK #46Watch

To pay for the glitz and 'er refurb/Arefa tits
    And turned up nose

Now normally something this blatantly chavvy wouldn't be my mug but this is knowing (and catchy) enough to appeal to me. It's a fun little ditty which realistically was never going to find big success (especially since the video was home-filmed on a budget less than a Lisa Scott Lee video) but remains enjoyable.

88 ∙ Kristinia DeBarge 'Sabotage' ∙ US DNC ∙ Taken from 'Exposed'Watch

Each time I try to play the good girl
    I let myself get in the way...

Arriving a couple of years too late with Jordin Sparks-lite material (yes, there is a lite variant of Jordin's music, though I'd never have thought it possible before discovering this bitch), the daughter of Chico DeBarge never had the best shot at making it big, but she tried all the same and for a while experienced success with the almost-anthemic Goodbye. This follow-up single failed even to chart which is a shame because it's a really lovely piano-electro tune which might have been a bonafide hit in more respectable hands.

87 ∙ Jessica Jarrell 'Armageddon'US DNC

Don't remember you being so sensitive
    Now every word that I say gets you worked up

Not dissimilar to Sabotage is this song, Armageddon, also a Brian Kennedy production and very much in the same piano-electropop vain. Shockingly Jessica was only fourteen when this was released to radio earlier in the year, but you'd never guess it from her VOX which could pass for somebody in their twenties (with a whole dose of fierce). This wasn't to be a hit either, but it's early days for the Jarrell, about whom I know nothing else. Annoyingly I couldn't find this on any video site but you can download it here.

86 ∙ Jessie James 'I Look So Good (Without You)' ∙ US #104 ∙ Taken from 'Jessie James'

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A-35GWbTjus&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A-35GWbTjus&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Now baby my body's looking better than before
    Ain't biting my nails since you walked out of that door

Remember when it was 2007 and every ho out there was trying to cash in on the huge crossover success of Irreplacable by unleashing their own clone? Well two years on and apparently Jessie James never got the memo that those days were over. I Look So Good tries hard lyrically to be a big fuck you-style anthem but it's ultimately a sedate and fairly MoR piece of music. That's not to say it isn't infectious and enjoyable though, and certain cuts from her very solid debut album are still to make an appearance on this list. FYI this girl is such a brazen BITCH. I love it!

85 ∙ Rihanna 'Fire Bomb' ∙ Taken from 'Rated R'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cV3bqaucAoY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cV3bqaucAoY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I just wanna set you on fire so I don't have
    To burn alone

Entirely be coincidence this update has contained a few Brian Kennedy songs and here is another, although this one is frankly in another league to the other two and were it not part of such a recently-released album would've made it much higher. It's hard not to take Fire Bomb as a veiled attack on Chris Brown but it definitely works even if you cut that out of your take on it - it's just an incredibly pop song with a soaring chorus and two very heartfelt verses.

84 ∙ Calvin Harris 'I'm Not Alone' ∙ UK #1 ∙ Taken from 'Ready For The Weekend'Watch

If I see a man waving
    Does this mean that I'm not alone?

Calvin took it back to the 90s with this utterly triumphant slice of rave which quite rightly made it to the top of the charts. Sadly it was a victim of overplay for me but recently I've begun to appreciate it once again and it certainly sounds even better when mindlessly drunk (but then whose standards don't slip once they've hit the liquor?). Great video too.

83 ∙ Hadise 'Long Distance Relationships' ∙ Taken from 'Fast Life'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bL6Y2eR6UHs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bL6Y2eR6UHs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm a thousand miles away from my baby's cheeks
    And I miss you like crazy

This is the absolute highlight of Belgian-Turkish popstar Hadise's very solid Fast Life album. She represented Turkey with the mind-numbingly awful Dum Tek Tek this year but a recommendation from a Popjustice poster persuaded me to download the album and every single track is better. I particularly like the 90s-lite of First Steps, but then I'm a bit gay like that.

20. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Oh yay for Fire Bomb and Long Distance Relationships, though I still maintain that fast life is Hadises worse album.

21. POP!

Kristinia is a good throwaway popstar. "Goodbye" was just alright but still very catchy, although I do really like "Future Love". They were going to give it a UK release at some point but it seemed to fall through, this was probably when "Sabotage" did absolutely nothing in the US. She's already working on another album.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RWXxpDD0tM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RWXxpDD0tM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  22. POP!

Jessie James is great, only this bitch can make try-hard look hot. "Wanted" is her best song though imo, next to "Bullet". But you're kind of right about "I Look So Good (Without You)", just very MoR music for a song of that nature.

23. Jark

Jark User

82 ∙ Röyksopp 'This Must Be It' ∙ Nor DNC ∙ Taken from 'Junior'Watch on youtube

Arms full of bracelets and smoke in the air
    And they talk, and they dance...

I was always likely to fall for another collaboration between Royksopp and Karin Dreijer Andersson since What Else Is There? is one of my all-time favourite songs and this, whilst not being quite as haunting, certainly doesn't disappoint. It's a hazy disco assault with an astonishing and yet entirely fitting key change near the end and you can all too easily find yourself immersed in it (as with much of the album).

81 ∙ Whitney Houston 'A Song For You' ∙ Taken from 'I Look To You'Listen

WE
    WERE ALONE
    AND I WAS
    Singin' a song for YOUUU

I'm not familiar with the original but Stargate did a great job on this, morphing it seemlessly from piano ballad to stick-thin synth anthem half way through. It's Whitney's VOX though which really steal the show; you'd have to be more miserable than VoR to resist the charms of her triumphant performance here.

80 ∙ Mariah Carey 'Up Out My Face' ∙ Taken from 'Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel'Listen

Might see me on a poster, see me at a show
    But you won't see me for FREE boy, this ain't no pro-mo

If we were two lego bricks even the Harvard university graduatin' class of 2010 couldn't put us back together again WHEN I BREAK

Let's face it, this is just a standard (though joyous) plinky-plonky Mimi midtempo until those utterly retarded adlibs come around and she starts yelling about nail technicians and Harvard graduates. It's right up there with the George Foreman line from Obsessed and yet another flawless example of Mariah's ENVIABLE sense of humour.

79 ∙ Natalie Bassingthwaighte '1000 Stars' ∙ Oz #30 ∙ Taken from '1000 Stars'Watch

And the world is like a mirror ball
    I'm spinning in the after-glow of love

This utterly stunning gem from Nat Bass' debut solo album of the same name was rather sadly a flop, which seems unfair given that the similar but slightly inferior Someday Soon was a reasonable hit, but there you go. The whole package was spot-on, from the subtle improvements of the radio edit to the beautiful video. I feel I may be going overboard here and I probably sound rather wet but this song does things to me and I'M NOT ASHAMED. Needless to say you can expect more from the lovely lady later in this countdown. :disco:

78 ∙ Owl City 'Strawberry Avalanche' ∙ Taken from 'Ocean Eyes (Deluxe)'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqCmdWwASJk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqCmdWwASJk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

*Amazing fanmade video alert*

As mountains of fruit tumbled out I barely had the chance to shout
    A strawberry avalance crashed over me

There's been a load of hype around this guy who originated on myspace and named himself as if he were a multiple, especially because seemingly from nowhere his single Fireflies topped the US Hot 100 earlier in the year, but that song has nothing on this in my opinion. It's a vibrant, energetic little ditty which has drawn comparisons with Postal Service. All I know is that it's the best song with a fruit-referencing title to emerge this year.

77 ∙ Medina 'You And I' ∙ UK #39 ∙ Taken from 'Velkommen Til Medina'Watch

I'm turning to the rhythm of the night
    I am alright...

When a poster on Popjustice mentioned a dark trance epic called Kun For Mig I checked it out and was instantly hooked. I wanted to live in a country where songs this good achieved endless weeks at #1. For weeks I was living in the vain hope that the people of Britain could somehow be introduced to this masterpiece, and then, lo and behold, an English-language version was announced! I could have died there and then, but thankfully I didn't because if I had I wouldn't have been around to witness the spectacularly strange lyric 'the music is making me growing'. I will almost certainly ponder how something so enticing flopped so awfully for the remainder of my life.

76 ∙ Rihanna 'The Last Song' ∙ Taken from 'Rated R'Listen

Baby let them play it, maybe it'll save the world
    They gon' miss hearing it when it's gone

I don't know entirely what this song is about (beyond the fact that it is the last song on her album) - she seems to be singing from the perspective of some sort of angel of doom who doubles as a recording artist and knows that the world is going to end once everybody's heard her song. Okay, so I'm pretty sure I must be way off the mark there, but it matters not. This shimmering slice of epic is a superb way of marking the end of another opus from QUEEN OF POP Rihanna.

24. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Whitney and Natalie (yay), though neither of those songs are close to being my favourites off either of the respective albums.

25. Jark

Jark User

Well after a twelve day haitus let us continue :disco:

75 ∙ Pussycat Dolls 'Jai Ho! (You Are My Destiny)' ∙ Oz #1, UK #3, US #15 ∙ Taken from 'Doll Domination 2.0/The Mini Collection'

Just when you think these whores are over, they are, but at the beginning of the year they found a fresh bandwagon to hop aboard when Slumdog Millionaire and its accompany score took off big-time. Jai Ho! was quite a classy affair by PCD standards, and by the standards of any song with an exclamation mark in its title, and for a short while it sparked up some interest in the dolls' much-crucified second album. It burned out quite fast for me and I don't close my eyes and pretend to be a prince being serenaded by an exotic spirit when I listen anymore but for a day or two this was majestic.

74 ∙ Sugababes 'About A Girl' ∙ UK #8 ∙ Taken from 'Sweet 7'

These desperate backstabbers may be dead to me now but back in September they had unleashed Get Sexy, alienated tens of thousands of former fans and won further adoration from myself, and I was well up for a bit of Keishaaa, Red-Ooone. Then she got the boot and Jade's version of the song premiered, sounding as if Heidi had squeezed the life out of it with her unenviable thighs, and the magic was gone. In retrospect I'm not ever sure it was really there because enjoyable as About A Girl is (and melancholic with Keisha's vox on) it absolutely ISN'T a Sugababes song, much like everything else on the album, and in time that would've dawned on me. As it was I had an excuse to abandon this computer-generated mess when they became the first ever horse/human hybrid group to flop in the UK charts.

71 ∙ Keri Hilson 'Make Love' ∙ Taken from 'In A Perfect World'

<div><object width="420" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x8mnzc" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x8mnzc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="339" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x8mnzc">Keri Hilson - Make Love / NEW</a></b><br /><i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/PeteRock">PeteRock</a></i></div>

There's something undeniably old school about this slow jam from Keri's utterly amazing debut album, despite its sprinkly fresh production. I always thought it would've made a much more pleasing single than the rather excrutiating Slow Dance, especially since Kerisus (yeah, I'm gonna make that happen, deal with it) had already filmed a lovely glossy video for it, but alas.

73 ∙ Chrisette Michele 'On My Own' ∙ Taken from 'Epiphany'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y1ZSfNycUtg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y1ZSfNycUtg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You know how sometimes you discover a song on an album which nobody knows but which everybody should because it's a potentially world-changing success story waiting to happen? Chrisette Michele's album had no songs like that but it was a super-solid R&B effort from start to end. This understated ballad features one of my favourite musical tricks, whereby the music cuts out and you think the song is finished but actually it hasn't but the bit when it starts up again is only a few seconds long and then it really does finish. It gets me every time!

72 ∙ Jazmine Sullivan 'Bust Your Windows' ∙ US #31 ∙ Taken from 'Fearless'

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/echXAsTUbMipRTZH"></param><param name="allowFullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/echXAsTUbMipRTZH" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

If ever a song didn't deserve a video which featured random scenes set against urine-coloured neon lights it was Bust Your Windows, the Sin City-style murderous midtempo which got Jazmine Sullivan, protege of the now-redundant Missy Elliot, a step closer to being a big player in America. Salaam Remi works his magic here and I do wish that the UK could've been treated to this song, although it has to be said that her vocals on the adlibs really grate, even if 'you broke my heart so I broke your car' is a wonderful lyric. More to come from this plus-sized TALANT.

70 ∙ Leona Lewis 'Can't Breathe' ∙ Taken from 'Echo'

Should this have been the lead single from Leona's sublime Echo album? I can't tell you can I, I dropped my crystal ball before Christmas and it smashed and now I can only make an educated guess, but I'd say YES IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. A lovely floaty number with no Tedderisms and a truly heartfelt vocal might've been just what she needed.

26. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

You know the really high notes she does in Can't Breathe near the end are absolutely glorious, but yes a few great songs there.

27. POP!

I've said "Can't Breathe" should have been a single but you told me radio wouldn't touch it. :angry:

28. Jark

Jark User

A girl can CHANGE HIS MIND CAN'T HE? Psssch

29. Jark

Jark User

Utada 'This One (Crying Like A Child)'
    Taken from 'This Is The One'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EvMuMAKH5pg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EvMuMAKH5pg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We should get back on the road
    Like Simon and Garfunkel
    Let's get married...

Sometimes you just have to embrace the generic (quite often if you're me). Utada's US career has been strangely underwhelming given that she lived there until her late teens and worked with the likes of Timbaland long before he was making magic for Nelly Furtado, never mind becoming overexposed as an artist in his own right.

So what was she to do but cut out the quirkyness, which wasn't washing at radio or with buyers, and make a lovely but generic album in the hope of actually selling a few copies? Well she did what only Utada could do - accept that musically it had to be staid but slyly chuck in a million wonderfully retarded lyrics. From talk of Blackberries to JPEG files on hard drives, Utada sings about technology as if it was romantic and actually pulls it off. This might be typical Stargate but it's a moving song thanks entirely to her self-penned lyrics and vulnerable delivery.

Lily Allen 'I Could Say'
    Taken from 'It's Not Me, It's You'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOVgnOp_JyY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOVgnOp_JyY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now I've come to realise
    There's nothing cool about you at all...

Lily's second album is a slightly strange affair - the highs, such as this, are truly wonderful whilst the lows, such as Never Gonna Happen and Who'd Have Known, are surprisingly middle of the road and dull. But back to this song, which absolutely should've been the second single and is stunning. It's got a beautiful simplicity, from the basic structure of two verses, one chorus to the drums that make only fleeting appearances at first. Expect a little bit more Lily before this list is up (in about May 2011 at this rate).

Ciara 'I Don't Remember'
    Taken from 'Fantasy Ride'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IPqKV38RxU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IPqKV38RxU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I kinda remember a kiss
    With a cute bartender...

We've all had that moment where we've got a bit smashed, blacked out, woken up the following day and thought 'fuck, I think I cheated on my boyfriend last night (right in front of him)' - haven't we? Well Ciara has and on the closing track from her most recent album, the mixed bag that is Fantasy Ride, she ponders at what point she fucked up and whether her boyfriend is done with her forever. Our hearts collectively break. It's a genuinely lovely song - smooth, utterly relaxed, slightly old-school, and not entirely what you'd expect from Ne-Yo. The verses and chorus are all segue into one and it's quite the experience.

Jessie James 'Inevitable'
    Taken from 'Jessie James'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QCISyOeQYQk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QCISyOeQYQk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You're in love with me
    You just don't know it yet

This guitar-dipped number from Jessie's debut album straddles the line nicely between pop and country-pop and although it's only a simple, fairly generic song I find myself quite mesmerised by it sometimes. I really love her voice on these melancholic midtempos. Lyrically this is no masterpiece but it's all about the pretty mood created. One more to come from this talented whore.

Kelly Clarkson 'All I Ever Wanted'
    Taken from 'All I Ever Wanted'

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JQbIXDRGC60&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JQbIXDRGC60&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

WHAT VOX.

Tell me with so many out there
    Why I always turn to you

This is a bit of a funny one - at first when I played Kelly's fourth album I couldn't understand the appeal of the title track at all. People were calling it a highlight and I was thinking 'but it's so out of place', and in a way it is - the chorus is a bit soft rock and the song doesn't share a sound with anything else on the record, but it's crept up on me to the extent that now I prefer it to the likes of Already Gone. It's simple, unpretensious and most importantly fun without being childish (as in the case of My Life Would Suck). A feel-good triumph for good old fiercely hetero Kels.

30. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Oh Jark, I was the opposite with AIEW, from hearing it on 'The Album Chart Show' a few weeks before the album came out I knew I was going to love it, despite the AWFUL screechy backing vocals on all the live performances of it.

But with time I've grown off it, and now prefer the likes of Already Gone, Cry and If No One Will Listen (ie. the ballads).

31. Ag

Ag User

Dark Carnival and Penelope like this.