Jark's Top 33 songs + Top 11 albums of 2010

Discussion in 'End Of Year Charts' started by Jark, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Jark

Jark User

Begins TONIGHT. I'm starting early because I want it done before 2011 and at my usual rate of 1.5 songs per day I think this is achievable.

Any predictions? Besides the fact that nobody will agree with any of it, naturally

2. Ag

Ag User

I predcit this will be the WORST THING EVER. Slave's original countdown NOT INCLUDED.

3. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

This could TOP Devil's Top 50 albums of ALL TIME :disco:

4. Ag

Ag User

This could be THE DEVILS countdown.

5. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

I've got my NOOSE READY.

6. Ag

Ag User

I've got my DOUBLE BARREL PREPARED.

7. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I can't wait to completely disagree with IT ALL :disco:

8. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Just so long as TEN is in the top 3 albums, all will be well :)

9. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

To be fair, this could WELL BE the most hotly anticipated moopy countdown this year.

FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS :)

10. funky

funky INCAPABLE

ooh more TAGGING opportunities!

*rolls up sleeves*

11. funky

funky INCAPABLE

(love you really Jark)

12. Jark

Jark User

:D

I'm can already tell I'm going to live to REGRET this countdown. :(

13. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Some cracking tags on this already :D

14. funky

funky INCAPABLE

oh I've run out of tags :(

INCREASE NUMBER OF TAGS ALLOWED NOW

15. Penelope

THIS

16. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

oooh I must start compiling my list. I do have the worst taste in moopy mind.

Looking forward to this Jark!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Wear My Kiss" FOR #1!

17. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

That Miley Cyrus TWADDLE is going to grab the pole position isn't it?

18. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

I'M EXCITED FOR THIS

19. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

whoever wrote 'good taste fleeing on spacehopper'... :D

20. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

OH MY GOD THAT IS THE BEST TAG EVER :D :D :D

21. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Someone upgrade the Moopy servers STAT

I sense impending MELTDOWN :D

22. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I thought this was starting tonight? Is Jark in a quandary over the position of DRUMMER BOY?

23. funky

funky INCAPABLE

:(

I did very little work today

24. Jark

Jark User

Ten o clock! And I'm not sure I ever CLAIMED Drummer Boy DID I? As I recall I merely thought it would be a chart hit!

25. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

'Jark lubes up spacehopper'!! :D

26. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Saying it was superior to a tune which could UNITE NATIONS AND CEASE ALL WAR is CLAIMING it in my book.

27. Penelope

IS THIS START WITHOUT YOU WE'RE REFERENCING? :o :disco::disco:

28. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Indeed.

EY HEY
    I PUSH IT OUT

:disco:

29. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Drummr Boy outsold Start Without You don't you know :o

30. Penelope

DON'T LIE

31. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

ANY MINUTE NOW GUYS

32. Jark

Jark User

Okay, before we START here are 10 which nearly made it:

Diana Vickers - My Hip
    Florence And The Machine - You've Got The Love
    Keyshia Cole ft Nicki Minaj - I Ain't Thru
    Medina - The One
    Miley Cyrus - Robot
    Monarchy - Travelling By Ambulance
    Orianthi - According To You
    Sade - Babyfather
    Shakira ft Dizzee - Loca
    Taylor Swift - Mine

And now for a few FUN STATS:

-4 artists feature TWICE as the main artist
    -Of the 29 main artists featured, 24 are female and 5 are male
    -There are five guest artists, all male, all rappers
    -In total 34 artists feature
    -7 of the songs on the list were available to buy somewhere in the world at the end of LAST year and an 8th had leaked onto the internet in demo form

Now let us PROCEED :disco:

33. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Oh, I was hoping for a high placing for Travelling By Ambulance.

34. Jark

Jark User

33 --- Example 'Kickstarts' --- UK #03, Ire #08

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9yGcKlYAiw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T9yGcKlYAiw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Start to think we might be FIZZLING out
    Kinda shocked because I never really had any DOUBT

So the countdown KICKS off with this unashamed dance-pop ditty which shamefully I didn't even HEAR until about October - usually I consider being so out of the loop with the Radio 1 playlist / the stuff in the chart a bonus because it means I never have to subjected to the latest in British urban fodder but occasionally you lose out too, and this was such a time. From that SQUIGGLY synth line to the Calvin Harris-done-right vocal this is a three minute FLASH of joy. The video also deserves a mention for being so charming. And I probably would.

32 --- Katie Melua 'The Flood' --- UK #35 :(

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4E4-9yKTv_I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4E4-9yKTv_I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Turn on the lights
    And FEEL the ANCIENT RHYTHM

News of a new album by noted stone bore Katie Melua was never likely to raise anybody's blood pressure - even those such as myself who had appreciated the twee delights of Nine Million Bicycles could barely recall who it was who'd sung it. Imagine the shock, then, when she squeezed William Orbit's best production in YEARS out of him, flipping from rousing slow jam to retro disco and back in the space of one song! More of a grower than a shower, this deserved far better than its measly chart placing, but then in 2010 perhaps being top 40 at all is an achievement for somebody like Katie Melua who, even with a totally batshit crazy music video, is always likely to be viewed as an MOR bore.

31 --- Jessica Mauboy feat Iyaz 'Like This'

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UNlJrdODhmU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UNlJrdODhmU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nothing ever makes me feel like this
    Wouldn't be the same if he went away...

Back in OH EIGHT when Australia was losing its collective shit over new homegrown talent Jessica Mauboy I was rather BAFFLED - even her number one single Burn sounded flat to these ears. Trust me, then, to jump on board the bandwagon just as everybody else got OFF. She lost a ton of fans upon her comeback this year (an awards show fiasco involving the word 'debut' pronounced as 'dah-but', two astoundingly awful music videos courtesy of Hype Williams which made I Want To Know What Love Is look like a seminal work of art) but she GAINED ONE IN ME. First single Get Em Girls remains trash but most of the album is pure, unadultered dance-pop and urban-pop joy. This song falls somewhere between those two categories and has charm by the bucketload.

35. Lunar Foetus

Lunar Foetus Guest

Oh GOD, Kickstarts is on my list too

HIGH FIVE JARK

36. Penelope

What a shockingly inoffensive list thus far! :o

37. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I'm sorry but Example is FUCKING AWFUL. But then you have The Flood, which is fantastic, so it balances out nicely.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  38. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

The Flood is probably one of the best songs this year and i love the video, the album isn't half as bad as well.

39. Penelope

GET OUT. All four singles thus far are DANCE-POP GOLD.

40. Jark

Jark User

30 --- Belinda feat Pitbull 'EgoĆ­sta' --- US #29 (Billboard Tropical Songs)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_toaazR9Urg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_toaazR9Urg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I gave you my world but it's not enough to
    Separate your heart and soul from your EGO

I don't know an awful lot about Belinda other than that she is a Mexican teen actress-turned popstar with some truly bipolar styling - she looks a little bit like the product of a Pitbull / Gwen Stefani mating session. The song is a first rate MESS too but in an odd way that's a part of its charm. Certainly if Britney was on this half of the world's rubbishgais would be proclaiming it the second coming (and it blows the likes of Womanizer and 3 out of the water). Pitbull adds a little spice with a guest rap but the song belongs to Belinda and the JOYOUS synths which erupt as she delivers the chorus. Perhaps if they hired her a stylist and sent her to America this could be a hit - although I'm still waiting on Andrea Burke to take THAT same advice.

29 --- Ke$ha 'Hungover'

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-_2J1u54Cs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-_2J1u54Cs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Does it really matter
    Or am I just
    hung-o-ver
    you?

Now everybody knows that Ke$ha's THING is her ability to combine mindless, ultra-catchy dance-pop with all manner of filthy lyrics which Katy Perry and the rest are that little bit too conservative to go with. But (up until the Cannibal EP at least) for me Ke$ha's shining moment came during this slowie, a gorgeous number which describes that feeling of emptiness once the party is finished and everyone's gone home. I still maintain that if this had been a single it could've been BIG and showcased an altogether more likeable side of the newest pop superstar on the block, but then perhaps she'd rather be known as the ragamuffin slut who's happy to get down on her knees and let suitors spunk glitter all over her. And WHY NOT.

28 --- Nicki Minaj 'Your Love' --- US #14

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pSFyrrhKj1Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pSFyrrhKj1Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Shawty I'ma only tell you this once
    You the ILLEST

If I hadn't been blind to the true genius of this song for so long it probably would've finished a lot higher. As it is Nicki has to make do with 28th place - not bad given that two weeks ago I was practically a HATER. One of my favourite things about Your Love is how she delivers a barrage of wildly ridiculous lyrics in a totally serious tone, as if every soothing slow jam contains anecdotes of geishas, samurais and Bruce Willis. The video is definitely worth a look, and for my money she's never looked better than she does against the red satin. :disco:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010