Jark's Top 40 Max Trax of 2017

Discussion in 'End Of Year Charts' started by Jark, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Jark

Jark User

In a bold move I will be updating two countdowns concurrently and revealing my top 40 max trax of 2017 far sooner than you might think. :o

2. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

[​IMG]

monsta likes this.
  3. Ag

Ag User

AGOG.

4. Jark

Jark User

40. Imagine Dragons 'Thunder'
    39. Tove Lo 'Disco Tits'
    38. Katy Perry 'Chained To The Rhythm'
    37. P!nk 'Beautiful Trauma'
    36. Lorde 'Sober'
    35. Loreen '71 Charger'
    34. Rita Ora 'Anywhere'
    33. Demi Lovato 'Sorry Not Sorry'
    32. Maroon 5 'Help Me Out'
    31. Beth Ditto 'Fake Sugar'

Big, bombastic and shamelessly tailored for top 40 radio, Imagine Dragons' Thunder is basic but a lot of fun with sharp, snappy production. Tove Lo seems to have now abandoned all ambition of ever selling records, the upshot of which is songs like Disco Tits - "I'm fully charged, nipples are hard, ready to go!"' - get to be lead singles. Katy Perry returned with Chained To The Rhythm, a song and video so well executed it was difficult to foresee just how stunningly tits-up her car-crash album campaign would go (and so quickly!). Chained has endured pretty well over the year, and went down VERY well on the dancefloor at my company Christmas party (of course, drunk Germans are perhaps not the most discerning).

P!nk returned seemingly unaffected by the general crash in album sales since her last effort a half-decade back, and while What About Us did the job very nicely, becoming a huge global hit, it's the title track and second single which I keep coming back to. There's something oddly Christmassy about Beautiful Trauma. Great video, too.

The first of several Lorde tracks featured, Sober is quite low-key but over time the many layers of the production reveal themselves in quite thrilling ways. Small details like the brass on the second verse bring Sober to life. The episode of Song Exploded in which she discusses how the song came together is well worth twenty minutes of your day.

I don't follow Loreen's career like some on here, but I heard '71 Charger by chance and was immediately blown away. What a big, brooding, emotional tour de force. Does anybody in the music buying public care? And does it matter if she's delivering art like this? It took a while, but Demi Lovato finally broke out of her ex-Disney starlet box with Sorry Not Sorry, a ridiculous screamathon in which she sounds more hit-thirsty than "bad bitch", but nonetheless conveys plenty of sex appeal atop a ludicrously catchy hook. That the album was actually very good was the cherry on the cake.

Anywhere
    is not Rita Ora's best pop moment of the year, but it's a massive bop and it spawned a truly killer performance at the MTV EMAs (which she hosted in a bathrobe, something '90s Madonna might have done - I believe we've found our TRUE successor to the Queen of Pop).

Pop's current inoffensive songwriter de jour Julia Michaels hooks up with Adam Levine and his six silent band members for Help Me Out, a curiously low-key number which makes up with bouncy melodies what it lacks in personality. I've been coming back to this one almost daily, to my great surprise. And finally, Gossip frontwoman Beth Ditto released a very enjoyable solo effort this year, the title track of which stands out as a particularly gorgeous song about... actually, I'm not sure what it's about. Falling in love? It's just really pretty.

5. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

Is 'basic' the main thing you LOOK FOR in music these days? You seem to be fronting half your writeups with "it's basic but"!

6. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Wait I completely missed this.:D

I'm thinking NOT VERY SOON.

7. Jark

Jark User

Don't be so sure!

8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

No, I’m pretty sure

OutSynk and Penelope like this.