Jennifer Lopez vs Mariah Carey

Discussion in 'Divas' started by Ag, Mar 26, 2014.

?

Who do you prefer?

1. Jennifer Lopez

27.0%
  2. Mariah Carey

73.0%
  1. Ag

Ag User

Following on from the debate in the Papi topic, WHO DO YOU PREFER?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Gmc8kjkwG4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vs

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5C5JFDEGj8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. dUb

dUb X HALLE

This is Lou's opportunity to turn full traitor

3. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

Don't count on it babe

4. Ag

Ag User

J-Lo is obviously much hotter and has better songs and more recent hits. Whereas Mariah dines out on the best Christmas song ever.

5. dUb

dUb X HALLE

In terms of talent, impact and achievement this poll is, with all due respect, laughable.

6. Ag

Ag User

I think Mariah's impact has been severely over rated by some. I mean she's basically a FEMALE NODDY HOLDER.

7. Loufoque

Still more than J Lo!

8. dUb

dUb X HALLE

She's at a low ebb and may never recover, but COME ON. There's an entire style of singing attributed to her.

9. Loufoque

What is J Lo's legacy? Successful divas having no talent?

10. Ag

Ag User

I'd say J-Lo is probably MORE FAMOUS.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  11. Loufoque

Fame does not equate to impact. Just because people recognise Jennifer Lopez's face doesn't mean they associate anything valuable with it.

I suppose she did a good cover of the Lambada, which was, in itself, a much less successful attempt at the Macarena.

12. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

10/10 J.Lo Songs - If You Had My Love, Waiting For Tonight, Play, Ain't It Funny, Walking On Sunshine (Metro Mix), On The Floor, Papi.

10/10 Mariah songs - Fantasy, All I Want For Christmas Is You, Honey, The Roof, We Belong Together

7-5 to America's Queen of Hearts.

13. dUb

dUb X HALLE

Mariah Carey is better, but queens can prefer whomever they so choose.

14. Loufoque

I suppose J Lo will win because the Euro queens love a cheap latin beat and some nonsensical foreign lyrics. Give me Geri Halliwell any day.

15. dUb

dUb X HALLE

Also why the fuck was I Stay In Love chosen to represent MC? :D

16. Loufoque

I think Ag chose two underwhelming tracks. Don't know how he managed to pick one of Jennifer's - there are so many!

17. dUb

dUb X HALLE

Let's have a DIRECT COMPARISON shall we

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K9nIUqrZ5kY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/45X3wuyklE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Loufoque

I have always thought that going for the more "accessible" choice is just code for "I can't handle the glare of actual talent because it makes me feel bad about myself". This can be applied here.

19. Jark

Jark bon appètit, baby

For the last three years, Jenny from da Block

20. Pipo

Pipo extra large & extra hard

It's a shame VoRetté is not rating the 10/10 SMASH hits JLO has released all through 2014 such as Same, Girl, Girls and I LUH YA PAPI

21. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

Is this a joke?

22. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

JLo is still able to fuck for her material, I'll give her that. She's the original Rihanna.

But Mariah has musical talent which outlasts JLo in every aspect. She has a light in her that shines brightly and you just can't take that away from her.

23. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

One of them is an accomplished actress who radiates charisma and one if them isn't.

24. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

From someone who thinks BOTH of them are PRETTY TERRIBLE in terms of music (at least these days) and definitely as human beings, I still cannot FATHOM how ANYONE would pick Jennifer Lopez. She's entirely talent-free, obviously a complete CUNT and her music has always been REALLY RATHER DREADFUL. Long gone are the days of "Waiting for Tonight" that we cling to with DESPERATION and I'm sorry, but I for one will not forget "I'm Real" (:manson:), "My Love Don't Cost A Thing" (:manson: :manson:) and, even worse, "I'm Just Jenny From The Block" (:manson: :manson: :manson: TO INFINITY), all sung with a straight face whilst probably swallowing blood diamonds with champagne from ivory cups and laughing at the pauper children outside banging on the window asking for scraps...

HIDEOUS

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  25. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

TBH it's just hilarious winding up the Lambs, who are normally quite sane by fanboy standards but appear UTTERLY HUMOURLESS on this matter. :D

I really do love more J.Lo tunes than Mariah though. The latter has a fabulous personality but it so rarely bleeds into her music. Growing up I just associated her with utter MOR dullness, whereas J.Lo came onto the scene with two FUCKING AMAZING pop songs back to back. I went off her a bit during the rent-a-rapper years (though how can you not *slightly* love Jenny From The Block? It's HILARIOUS.) but On The Floor was brilliant and the accompanying album was far more fun than I've ever had with a Mariah LP.

Aside from the fact that the lambs are so obsessed that OMG SHE STOLE MARIAH'S CAREER, they really aren't that comparable anyway.

26. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

VoR, babe, don't be absurd. JLo stole the leftover unflushed shit from the public toilet of Mariah's career. And even that equated to a hit.

But I agree, this 'comparison' is featherbrained.

27. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

That's my point! She nicked ONE SONG about FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

GET OVER IT LAMBS.

28. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I don't care for both, I guess I despise JLO a bit more cause she also bleeds into movies that are on my TV screen but she has catchier songs. Mariah is just a Moopy thing.

29. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I've just discovered there's a 167 episode telenova of Maid In Manhattan.

Jennifer Lopez is a bit like Gwyneth Paltrow in that reading stories about her she's portrayed a raging bitch, yet she always comes across well in interviews: self aware, funny and honest.

If out and out 100% pure talent was the only thing that merited success in entertainment then poor Kylie Ann would be slumming it in am dram productions of White Christmas every summer with her sister.

30. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I think it's pretty obvious J.Lo got a bit too big for her boots when she first hit the A-list. I still love that fabulous interview where she slags off Cameron Diaz and Madonna. "Don't spit on my my craft Madonna!" :D

But she genuinely seems to have been humbled by her years in the wilderness (lest we forget she couldn't get arrested between 2008-2011) and she comes across as much warmer, funnier and more relaxed now.

31. Sheena

I see your point but two things you miss here- 1. However thin her voice is, Kylie actually can and does sing live, J-Lo, like Britney, is just a complete and utter talent void who does nothing and 2. Unlike Britney at her peak (certainly not now) and Kylie (who has it in droves), there is nothing remotely star-quality about J-Lo. She's JUST A BIT BUDGET.

And I repeat, VILE

32. Ag

Ag User

How is J-Lo VILE?

33. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Say what you like about J.Lo's talent or lack thereof (though she has proved she can sing live, frequently), she ABSOLUTELY has star quality in spades. To say she doesn't is as ridiculous as saying she's a better singer than Mariah at her peak, IMO.

34. Sheena

Isn't she a complete CUNT with an ENTOURAGE and her SNIFFY ATTITUDE or have I missed something?

35. Sheena

I honestly don't see it AT ALL...

36. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Because you don't like her. That's not the same thing.

I absolutely detest that awful cunt Christina Aguilera with every fibre of my being, but I'd never try to claim she doesn't have ANYTHING about her. There's a reason these people stay famous, and it isn't just having lots of money thrown at them. Remember THALIA? Probably not...

37. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Sheena, have you seen Out Of Sight?

38. Loufoque

Make that 2005-11 babe

39. Loufoque

In Christina's case, it's talent and star quality. In J Lo's, it's "relatability" (the same thing that people like about the Kardashians - they don't challenge you with their abilities so it's easy to aspire to them.)

40. Sheena

I actually don't DETEST her at all! I loved her first two singles and I own the first album. I even bought the Greatest Hits for £3 in a Fopp sale thinking I'd missed something (and quite liking "Dance Again", in fairness) but it's DRECK. Utter rubbish.

Thalia is FABULOUS, I have her Greatest Hits :disco: