Jeremy Corbyn leadership crisis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Tetris-Rock, Jun 24, 2016.

?

Time to jettison Jezza?

1. I did think Jeremy Corbyn should resign and still do

31.4%
  2. I didn't think Jeremy Corbyn should resign but now I do

43.1%
  3. I did think Jeremy Corbyn should resign but now I don't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I didn't think Jeremy Corbyn should resign and I still don't

23.5%
  5. Don't know

2.0%
  1. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

Starting to become more sympathetic to this idea...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Yeah.

3. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Yes. I genuinely think he's useless. I know it's not his "fault", but he really could and should have done more.

4. Tetris-Rock

Can someone add an actual poll to this with the following options? My internet seemed to fuck up while posting and it has bizarrely left it off.

- I did think Jeremy Corbyn should resign and still do
    - I didn't think Jeremy Corbyn should resign but now I do
    - I did think Jeremy Corbyn should resign but now I don't
    - I didn't think Jeremy Corbyn should resign but now I don't
    - Don't know

5. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I don't think he should resign, I think he should be paraded naked through the streets of London while Liz Kendall walks behind him ringing a bell and shouting "shame".

6. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Definitely. He led a miserable campaign and just isn't up to winning an election. Given that we're possibly/probably going to have a General Election in 9 months' time with, most likely, an extreme Tory heading their party, Labour has a chance to grab a win.

7. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

I can't really see that it would have made any difference if it had been anyone else. They might have COSIED UP TO CAMERON and done some HIGHER PROFILE CAMPAIGNING but as the BREXIT vote seems to be largely "ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT" I'm not sure that the outcome might not have been WORSE!

8. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

DREADFUL. Just put it in the bin.

9. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Get rid now.

10. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

The most ineffectual, catastrophic UK party leader of my lifetime. OUT OUT OUT.

11. Tetris-Rock

If he does, BEFORE an election please.

12. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

People blaming Corbyn for the outcome of the referendum are either being POLITICAL OPPORTUNISTS (oh hai Tony!) or falling victim to the same MEDIA PROPAGANDA that has swallowed Britain into a cesspit of FEAR OF FORRINERS and TAKE BACK CONTROL. He could have had the word REMAIN tattooed across his face and it wouldn't have made any difference - if threats of economical instability are not a strong reason for all these Little Englanders to vote Remain, nothing Jeremy said on the matter was going to change their minds.

In my opinion, if you want to address this result you need to understand why the working classes have become DISENFRANCHISED with society over the last 25 years and if you want to point a timid finger in the way of blame to someone, I would direct you to the British media who've bred a generation of EUROSCEPTICS who've found it extremely easy to swallow the pill and blame the alien for their utter defencelessness against the machine.

13. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I think people holding Corbyn to account for his total apathy during the referendum have finally woken up to the fact that however decent or nice the man may be (I'd suggest he's a vain man more interested in talking to people who agree with him than those who don't) that he is wholly unsuited to a role of leadership that requires the skill of inspiring and enthusing people.

This is a man who spent three decades in politics never having to worry about the consequences of his actions, and even as leader he's in the same mindset.

14. ButterTart

ButterTart Drop dead cynical

Fucking wet fart of a man. I'm all in favour of a far-left Labour leader, but not this bloody nebbish.

I'd like to see a properly outspoken, aggressive campaigner who will actually pose a threat to the Conservatives.

15. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I don't think there is all that much that Corbyn could have done to change the outcome. Of course, given that one of the biggest constituencies of Brexiters seems to be their traditional supporters who didn't bother to vote when it was time to choose who actually led the country, Labour has some pretty serious problems whoever is in charge.

16. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I'm not convinced at all that Corbyn could have turned the tide on this had he handled things differently. But the fact that he was so ineffectual and half-hearted throughout this process is utterly damning. Surely you can't think that he handled it WELL?

17. Tetris-Rock

As much as his presence wouldn't have changed it, this campaign is a damning indictment on his ineffectuality.

18. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I honestly think he was true to himself in that he expressed reservations about the EU but also added that he still felt overall it was a force of good for the UK and as such he was for it. I respect him for doing that (and for saying what a lot of people think about the EU anyway), but apparently he should have TOTALLY FAKED IT FOR POLITICAL REASONS like Boris does as this seems to be the way forward in politics these days!

19. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

In the end, it's the same old nutshell: people who are heavily into the POLITICS of politics would think he's ineffectual, whereas people who put principles before the end result will think he is being to true to what he represents.

20. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Motion of no confidence. Surely he's out.

21. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

*Applause emoji*

22. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I don't blame Corbyn at ALL, but unfortunately, he is not fit for the system that we have, because he is unable/unwilling to work that system.

23. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

And also MAJOR YAAAS to wot Peekaboo ses.

24. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Just caught the end of Margaret Hodge's interview. Talking about the need for a leader who can oppose the Tories and lead the UK through these tumultuous times.

25. Tetris-Rock

Now wishing Sadiq Khan wasn't already busy, tbh. Already impressed with him.

Although he should probably just link hands with Nicky and lead London and Scotland to independence.

26. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

For my money President Obama is an example of a man with essentially good intentions* who works effectively within the political system.

Corbyn is a good man but no leader. I'm pleased he had a chance to prove otherwise, but he and the party squandered it. Time to go.

* Yes, I know he has very serious flaws. But universal healthcare, gun control and same sex marriage are all examples of left wing causes he's been able to support in the face of tremendous opposition.

27. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

It's quite amusing that Sadiq nominating Corbyn for leader helped win him the Mayoral nomination over Tessa Jowell, and as soon as he was the candidate he was all "Jeremy? I don't know her!"

Jeremy's far more suited on the back benches, not having to worry about speaking to people who don't agree with him and singing fruit from his allotment for his fans.

28. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

I want a Jeremy Corbyn singing plum RIGHT NOW

29. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

He is more USELESS than a condom at a CHILL OUT.

He's not a bad man, but he has no backbone, and is a TERRIBLE leader.

30. Penelope

Penelope Look right for CALMING INFLUENCE

Plenty of people who think he had a principled position still think he was fucking useless in putting it across, so please don't try and define it as an 'only TRUE principled people' thing.

-x-

Ironically, for once I'm actually neutral on him going. I don't want him replaced with an anti-immigration leader - the one single thing he's actually been any fucking good for. If he is, I'm leaving the Labour Party. No ifs, no buts this time. I won't stick with a party which sets out to be everything fucking awful about the 1970s.

31. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Please can you find the passage you are 'quoting' in any of what I wrote? What you choose to interpret is up to you and says more about you than it says about me :-)

32. Penelope

Penelope Look right for CALMING INFLUENCE

I don't think many of the people in this thread who voted for Corbyn the first time around could be said to be 'heavily into the POLITICS of politics' rather than principled people at all, and plenty of them think he's been useless.

33. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I like Corbyn but he came about at the wrong time. Obviously he had his own personal feelings about the EU, and they weren't positive on the whole. Perversely, does that not make him the right person for the job right now?

34. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

And there we have it. The reason we are in this shit, and the UK is broken.

35. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

NO

But TBH if Boris becomes Tory leader it's a moot point because NO-ONE is going to beat him in an election

36. octophone

octophone O = 0

So, who is Moopy feeling could take over?

37. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

I am 100% behind Theresa May as the stop-gap PM. She is not tainted by either side of the debate, and she's less odious than the other choices.

38. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I wonder if Theresa would even want it now. Talk about a poisoned chalice...

39. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I was hopeful for him, but its clear that he isn't the right one. Labour needs an easier sell.

David Cameron literally just pulled us out of the EU against his own will and probably caused Britain and the EU to split into tiny little pieces. I know Corbyn's shit, but come on!

40. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Why all the references about turning the tide? We were only 2% short.