Joji - Nectar (excellent alt-popstar)

Discussion in 'Pop' started by Jark, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Jark

Jark I... know... how bad you want this

I don't know if Joji has been discussed prior to now on Moopy or not but I think a few of you might quite enjoy him.

28 y.o. male Japanese "Youtube personality" who has released three albums in the last three years - this year's Nectar is the most recent and I would describe the best bits of it as cerebral, melodic and imaginative alt-pop/R&B through the kind of Troye Sivan/early Weeknd/Post Malone lens (OMG DON'T LEAVE!)

despite being 18 (short) songs (as is in vogue) the album breezes by - I thoroughly recommend the four singles (Sanctuary, Gimme Love, Run and Daylight) as well as Afterthought, Like You Do and the fantastic, glittery Your Man if you just wanna dip your toes in.

there's also a lovely remix of the biggest hit off his second album which pops off really quite nicely. :disco:

ANY FANS? @Diddy @funky @ameraal @FetchFugly @Mats

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    wurst and ameraal like this.
  2. ameraal

ameraal la loi de murphy

wasn't really sold on gimme love but run is one of my favourite songs of the year.

Jark likes this.
  3. Jark

Jark I... know... how bad you want this

have you heard Your Man, am?

ameraal likes this.
  4. ameraal

ameraal la loi de murphy

i have heard nothing else from the new album. no idea it was out even.

listening to gimme love, the latter part is amazing - the former is a bit extra. it reminds me of the new sufjan album in that :eyes:

5. ameraal

ameraal la loi de murphy

on first listen now and loving it.

Jark likes this.
  6. wurst

wurst EVITA COLOLO

I LOVE Joji. WHO CARES about his weird YouTube past, as a male popstar he is up there with The WKND and Post Malone as one of the best in generations.

Slow Dancing In The Dark is an absolute CLASSIC (it's been QUITE the slow burn success too). I need to dive into the new album, I may do that RIGHT NOW!

Jark likes this.
  7. funky

funky User

Always liked a bit of Joji, some of it is a bit dark for me, but the highs are really good.

loving “Your Man” at the moment

Jark likes this.
  8. ameraal

ameraal la loi de murphy

didn't he become instantaneously popular off his online personality stuff?

i think he's been exercising a lot of quality control. he definitely knows how to deliver a visual.

9. wurst

wurst EVITA COLOLO

Oh I meant the song stuck around for a while after release, I think it even re-entered the Hot 100 due to a TikTok challenge.

ameraal likes this.
  10. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

This is such a weird turn of events, I recently became aware of his sweary Japanese YouTube personality, I didn’t realise he was Japanese actually, he acted very American and was talking about weeboos or whatever they’re called.

and very recently I found out that he collaborated with one of my favourite Japanese groups Generations from Exile Tribe (don’t worry I’m sure you won’t like them, Moopy)

And now this?

I watched that Star Trek video, I see what you mean about the Troye Sivan. I think the sound nice, it’s just hard for me to get excited about that genre though

Jark likes this.