Justice League

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by Phoenix, Jul 23, 2016.

?

Time to give DC a DNR?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 09

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 08

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 07

50.0%
  5. 06

25.0%
  6. 05

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

25.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Not a trailer but a promo shown at comic con

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gglkYMGRYlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg not so much.

2. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Jokes! :o It looks like it could be pretty good, there were a few set visit articles floating about a while ago talking about how they're trying to lighten the tone after BvS. Is it still going to be two films, or did they abandon that idea?

3. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

They are trying so hard to show that it's funny, the early set visits, the trailer a year and a half before the movie is out, they just want to avoid another BvS debacle.

I think like Marvel, they're going down the two separate movies path now that the split movies started failing.

4. Jark

Jark User

That looks fucking superb. Visually some of the shots are :o the ocean crashing around Aquaman :o

A better trailer than Wonder Woman.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

First trailer

Looks like a continuation of Batman V Superman. I also really don't like Cyborg the character for some reason.

6. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Looks promising

COB and monsta like this.
  7. Jark

Jark User

PROMISING?

It looks INCREDIBLE

It won't be, of course. But that is a fucking brilliant trailer. God Snyder is the visual master. Some of those shots are breathtaking!

And Mera!

8. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

9. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

The cartoon was all kinds of amazing. I hope this turns out good.

Oh is that Khal Drogo? Hey booboo

10. Jark

Jark User

Seeing this HOT SHIT tonight. :disco: BEYOND hyped!

11. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

The reviews have been BRUTAL. 2 Stars in Empire, 2 Stars in the Guardian, and a complete 1 Star hatchet job in the Telegraph. Rotten Tomatoes have been embargoed from putting their scores up until tomorrow :D

Variety quite liked it though and the more measured consensus seems to be it's better than Bats vs Supes and Suicide Squad but not up there with Wonder Woman.

Guess this is the end for Batfleck and Zack Snyder's involvement with this franchise!

12. Jark

Jark User

British reviewers are always crap. And RT haven't been embargoed, they've chosen to hold them back to create hype for their new podcast which goes out on Thursdays.

Anyway I was really disappointed with this. For all BvS's flaws it is at least a big, grand, operatic superhero movie with some big ideas and some philosophy behind the characters' actions. It achieved maybe half of what Snyder wanted it to but it was also FAR from being a generic, formulaic superhero film.

Unfortunately that's exactly what Justice League is. The jokes are funny. The cast have good chemistry. Henry Cavill gives his best performance in a DC film and, as always, Ben Affleck is brilliantly droll and anchors everything.

But the story is PAINFULLY weak, almost NO effort is made to explain anything about the villain or his motivations (it's literally not even mentioned that Steppenwolf is related to Darkseid - even Marvel make more effort with their bad guys), the CGI is completely overpowering in places and ultimately it all feels EXTREMELY lightweight and void of ambition, shockingly so. It's like a forgettable mid-volume issue of a Justice League comic brought to life - quite perfunctory, but not in any way essential.

A lot of people chattering at the end were saying they quite enjoyed it so maybe I just expected too much.

- Aquaman has the funniest scene in the film by far - it's properly CACKLE OUT LOUD hilarious.
    - Amy Adams does a lot with very little, being the star she is
    - Mera's cameo is surprisingly enjoyable
    - Despite the talk of Cavill's moustache being badly CGI'd away, I did not notice at all
    - STAY FOR THE TWO AFTER CREDITS SCENES. The final one is absolutely LUDICROUS!

6/10

13. COB

COB Nasty Boys

It's interesting that they've confirmed the Flash film is called Flashpoint, since that particular storyline led to a huge reboot for the entire DC comics line - I wonder if they would dare do the same for the film universe?

14. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Do they have much to lose?

15. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

It’s shit? Shocker.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I did not think this was as awful as everyone think but I guess that's a theme with me and DC films. It's probably the very low expectations versus the high expectations when it's a Marvel movie.

It's quite an empty movie but I enjoyed whenever The Flash was on the screen and the Thelemasca scene was quite good. Superman was hot and I appreciated that they did not have his sexy chest hair. Aquaman and Batman were forgettable and the scene in Atlantis was crap.

It's not a terrible time at the movies but wouldn't rewatch or attempt to on tv 7/10

17. cwej

cwej User

Why are people incapable of putting polls on threads when they start them about new movies?

18. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Poll added

19. COB

COB Nasty Boys

The 'Snyder Cut' of Justice League is coming to HBO's streaming service next year:

There's been an online campaign demanding this pretty much since the film first came out, with some fans adamant that many of the problems with it were down to studio interference and the tragic situation that led to Zack Snyder leaving the film and Joss Whedon finishing it off. Will they be proven right? I guess we'll find out :o

20. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I've never heard of Zack Snyder. What's he famous more?

21. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

he’s the director...
    And director of 300, Watchmen, Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman

KindaCool likes this.
  22. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Oh got it. I really only know the big Director names.

23. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Yeah to be fair I don’t know that many unless they’re doing something distinctive that thick old me can notice. Like Wes Anderson or Tim Burton.

Zack Snyder was on my radar after 300 and Watchmen though, for better or worse. I’d say the pacing is usually off, really overlong movies, but there’s something always so bold and spectacular. It’s a fine line between that and style over substance, which he’s definitely tested

24. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I mean that's pretty typical of action flicks isn't it? Half the fun is the spectacle.

25. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I have almost no memory of this film.

26. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Given the execrable state of the rest of Zack Snyder's output, I wouldn't hold out much hope of this being MUCH COP.

27. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Surely you remember THIS :D

[​IMG]

Even more of a crime given that Henry with a tache is WHITE HOT in Mission Impossible :disco:

28. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Oh God :manson: Letterboxd archive said I saw it and gave it 3 stars, apparently making it one of my most liked from the DC Universe outside of Wonder Woman.