K-Pop

Discussion in 'Pop' started by PopLife, Aug 29, 2018.

1. PopLife

PopLife Schlagerfjolla

Anyone a fan of K-Pop? Got to say, BTS' new single and music video is a bop.

Before BTS, there was Super Junior as the top K-pop boyband. This was on repeat a whole lot back in 2010-2011.

And of course - SNSD (Girls Generation).

Share your favs.

totesquiche likes this.
  2. COB

COB Kiss My Grits

Fill your boots Diddy!

3. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

OMG

I’m on lunch now but I’ll be back

Fill your boots Moopy!

4. Kevin

Kevin Stand by for resurrection

I really thought this would be a hit.

5. Mats

Mats User

ENKA FORUM NOW

6. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

Make way for your resident Asian anorexic! I'll drop some write-ups in a few hours

ButterTart likes this.
  7. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

I am! It's too exhausting to keep up all the time though with the sheer volume of bands and releases.

8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I love GOT7. They’re getting bigger, they seem really sweet (except the Chinese one is a bit of a prick), and they don’t look like they have 8kg of makeup on. This is a fairly recent one, like JLS if they were now and not as shit

Sultry!

And the two hottest ones who were a duo before the band released a new EP. I LOVE THIS ONE, it’s like A1 when they were trying to be Indie but so much better and more AUTUMNAL.

9. Jætike

I've been an occasional listener since 2008. 2nd generation classics apart from what @PopLife has covered will be

Super Junior's "Sorry Sorry" (that dance was viral back in the day)

Wonder Girls' "Nobody" (retro made cute)

TVXQ's "Mirotic" (the closest thing to on-screen bondage)

SHINee's "Ring Ding Dong" (what an earworm)

f(x)'s "Electric Shock" (they go in hard)

10. Jætike

What got me back in in recent years was the HOT NONSENSE that's Orange Caramel's "Catallena".

The video is pretty nuts with the girls dressed as mermaids and sushi / mermaids on sushi, and the live performances nuttier when they let it rip with the goat screams. Don't ask what's going on.

Extra points for same-sex attraction. Bonus points for gratuitous Punjabi -- "Catallena" samples "Jutti Meri Jandiye" after all.

Alla likes this.
  11. Jætike

Since @Diddy oppa has covered the boy groups, I'll do the trifecta of the 3rd (or 4th, depending on how you math) generation's most popular girl groups.

Broadly speaking, you've got Blackpink, Red Velvet, and Twice. In that order of edginess to cutesiness.

If you like fishnets and violent arm-swinging, Blackpink does them both.

12. Jætike

Red Velvet tries to capture a wider audience; they've got "red" concept albums and "velvet" ones. The "reds" are more cheery, frequently summer bops with fruit motifs (Every member has her own fruit. At least two MVs revolve around fruits. Including interviewing fruits. Again don't ask me why.) Meanwhile the "velvet" songs are the kind that will get played in clubs, the girls also look like they're going to slay at the club.

I don't fancy many "red" songs, but I love this pastel-scheme, glassy-eyed ditty because
    Every girl (repeatedly) tries to murder the rest as they're fighting over the same boy.

On the "velvet" side,

Lesbian cult kills another innocent white pizza boy. If you've seen "Russian Roulette", you can see a theme emerging here. Here, their sound is more experimental with tropical house right from the get go.

Now this is an intricate musical composition, reviving the 90's R&B vibe with a touch of creepy sirens, thanks to The Stereotypes (who've written for Bruno Mars).

[​IMG]
    If it's of any interest to Moopy, there's an inside joke that Red Velvet's leader, Irene, is a man-hater who gave no fucks when fragile fanboys burnt photocards of her when they knew she read feminist novels.

Gangsta Nancy Lam and COB like this.
  13. Jætike

Ah Twice, the teeniest boppiest of the lot, primarily appealing to teens and straight man who like teens. A typical Twice track is chock full of instrumentation, pitched an octave too high and with a rap-break shoehorned in towards the end, but it's all in the name of good fun because they are catchy and repetitive as hell.

Every now and then you'll get a Twice song you can play innuendo bingo to.

Again, don't ask me why this sounds glaringly Lolita-esque

You may have heard of their MV with wonderful movie references
    The Princess Diaries, Ghost, La Boum, Pulp Fiction, Romeo + Juliet, Love Letter, La La Land, and Léon: The Professional
    Nine girls ask what love is, and turn to movies for answers, when much of what they're watching depicts doomed or destructive relationships. Oh well.

14. Jætike

Because this is Moopy, here's the obligatory gay interest group: Mamamoo
    Not the conventional K-pop group (in more ways than one), but hold a pretty good reputation for solid vocals and successful forays into many genres -- they cite Amy Winehouse, Kehlani and Queen RiRi as their personal influences -- that are considered more appealing internationally. R&B is their specialty.

Sounds like Robin Schulz.

Despacito 2 is cancelled.

15. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

I don't really get Twice. I must be too old. I do prefer the poppy stuff to the more R&B stuff, and I don't follow boybands at all.

GFriend, Girls Generartion, Wonder Girls, A Pink, AOA, Sistar, Dal Shabet, 9 MUSES and especially Stellar (who no one else liked) are some of my faves:

16. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I love Red Velvet. Mostly the combo of HOMICIDAL visuals with catchy gay pop.

I really only ever dip my toe in the K-Pop well, but I do love a good handful of Red Velvet and Girls Generations songs, and this:

I have no interest in the boy bands.

17. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I surprised you don’t like Twice, I’ve been slowly introducing myself via YouTube’s random playlists and Twice stuck out for me more than Blackpink. This is my favourite so far:

Love that Apink song you posted too!

I have no idea where to start with Kpop really, so as with most things I don’t even start.

18. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Jaejae, I wouldn’t count my post as much of an introduction! Do you know where GOT7 fit into the picture? Are they the next One Direction or the next PrettyMuch?

I say next but they’ve been around at least 4 years

19. Jætike

Hmm I'm not too familiar with the boy band landscape, and popularity here might not be the same elsewhere. They aren't as huge as BTS for sure, probably around NCT and Stray Kids' level. Hopefully their September comeback will be a smash, because JYPE has been letting everyone else take a backseat while Twice goes full steam ahead.

20. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I have no idea what most of that means but September comeback sounds good!

I wish they’d just have albums, it’s very confusing. Everything is like one single from a mini-album

21. supermassive

supermassive transpeople

I love how Kpop threads and youtube embeds always push my RAM to the max :disco:

SHINee is everything.

22. Jætike

November was the season for comebacks as many companies scramble to put something out before the year ends.

Yes or Yes, best known for lots of CGI, glowing eyes, and being at the centre of a rape culture debate.

23. Jætike

Four Koreans show four different responses to a break-up, in the aesthetics of Wong Kar Wai and Hong Kong film noir.

24. Jætike

In January, Red Velvet sung about a haughty woman falling for a Bad Boy. Now they are telling us to go after a Really Bad Boy. Though it sounds nothing like it's namesake; think Rookie meets Peek a Boo. Every now and then, Red Velvet follows up a solid summer bop with something really experimental and eclectic. RBB isn't a song most listeners would get on the first listen. There's a whole lot going on simultaneously (visually, musically and lyrically) which takes a few listens to make sense of.

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  25. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I need to step my Korean version of pussy up, and GOT7 released a new video a few days ago, I need to get on it.

Finally ended up renting the Twice #Twice mini album, solid!
    The JJ project is a bit of wallpaper but it’s short and a few songs have stuck with me. Nothing as good as Tomorrow Today though.

Did I tell you I listened to the (Japanese language version of) Girls generation’s GH and JESUS is it amazing, it’s like the Girls Aloud GH except the ballads are decent! *gooped*