Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (New Album)

Discussion in 'Pop' started by FetchFugly, Feb 24, 2018.

1. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Releasing two songs from your forthcoming album seems to be the done thing this week:

I like both, but Space Cowboy is comfortably the better of the two.

Generally the direction seems to be slightly more pop, some hazy electronic flourishes, and less of the small town homespun countryisms. As good as the first two albums are, they do pretty much follow the same formula and it will be interesting to hear something a bit different from her.

2. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I'll give these a listen...only because you posted them so they should be fine.

3. Ryan

Ryan User

I really like her. Space Cowboy is beautiful - not what I was expecting from her lead single (is it the lead single?) I much prefer that side to her than the "Follow Your Arrow" / "Biscuits" side which is a bit novelty.

4. FetchFugly

Yes, it isn't completely clear whether these are 'proper' singles. Space Cowboy is the more popular on Spotify anyway.

Interesting that she has gone with two ballads first. Merry Go Round and It Is What It Is are probably my favourites, so I do like that side of her.

5. FetchFugly

A bit of a light disco country groove then:

So why don't you GIDDY UP, GIDDY UP :disco:

She is such a fucking joy, I love her. Flashy lyric video too.

6. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Five star review in The Guardian today:

As pre-publicity for albums by country stars go, the stuff that accompanies Kacey Musgraves’ Golden Hour is pretty diverting. She has talked about the influence of Sade on her work, of “futurism … space country, galactic cosmic country” and of how the album’s closing track Rainbow is intended to speak to “LGBTQ youth”. There is also mention of a song called Mother, which you might reasonably describe as part of a grand country tradition of lachrymose songs about momma, or the absence thereof – “I’m just sitting here thinking about the time that’s slipping, and missing my mother,” she sings – albeit with a pretty distinctive twist. It was apparently written after Musgraves’ mum sent her a text with a photo of her hands, which the singer-songwriter received while she was tripping on LSD, an experience the song also describes: “Bursting with empathy, I’m feeling everything … It’s the music in me and all of the colours.”

Acid, futurism, LGTBQ rights: you don’t have to be a dedicated student of Nashville’s history to know that this is not the usual fare dished up by Music City’s mainstream stars. But then, as was established the moment her major label debut, Same Trailer Different Park, appeared in 2013, Musgraves is not your usual Nashville star. It was released just as bro country’s lunkheaded restatement of at least some of the genre’s core values – macho songs about boozing, babes, trucks and guns – was reaching its commercial zenith, and signalled the arrival of an artist not bent on iconoclasm so much as gently but firmly pushing at the boundaries of modern country music’s outlook. Her single Follow Your Arrow caused vast consternation among country radio programmers for advocating same-sex relationships and occasionally smoking a joint “if that’s what you’re into”. The critical acclaim was off the scale – here, claimed one writer, was the woman “who could save country music from itself” – but her sales were solid rather than spectacular. Nevertheless, when even bro country’s bantzmeister-in-chief starts writing songs about tolerance and marriage equality – “I believe you love who you love – ain’t nothing you should ever be ashamed of,” sang Luke Bryan on last year’s track Most People Are Good – it’s hard to argue that things haven’t shifted at least a little in her wake.

Musgraves’ 2015 follow-up, Pageant Material, was more consolidation than progression, but Golden Hour is something else entirely: an album built for crossover success. The lyrics dial down her trademark sardonic vignettes of small-town life in favour of more universal themes. She’s very good at knowingly playing with country cliches while writing about love: “I wanna show you off every evening,” she sings on Velvet Elvis, “go out with you in powder blue and tease my hair up high.” The music, meanwhile, draws not just on classic rock – it’s not a stretch to imagine Rainbow as a cut from an early 70s Elton John album, while the title track carries a distinct hint of Comes a Time-era Neil Young – but also on hazy psychedelia and Daft Punk-influenced disco-house.

The former works to impressive effect on the drowsy, vocoder-assisted Oh What a World, while the latter represents a very bold move, not least because attempts to meld country with dancefloor beats have frequently yielded some of the least disarming music in history, from Rednex’s Cotton Eye Joe to the terrifying ordeal that is Billie Jo Spears’ assault on I Will Survive. But High Horse works with a casual elan: the song is beautifully turned, nothing about its sound feels ungainly or cobbled together and there’s a lovely up-yours quality to its vocal hook, which any Top 40 pop artist would feel impelled to slather in Auto-Tune, but Musgraves sings straight.

The success of High Horse is indicative of the ease and confidence that courses through Golden Hour. Regardless of genre, you’ll be hard pushed to find a better collection of pop songs this year. Everything clicks perfectly, but the writing has an effortless air; it never sounds as if it’s trying too hard to make a commercial impact, it never cloys, and the influences never swallow the character of the artist who made it. In recent years, there have been plenty of artists who’ve clumsily tried to graft the sound of Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours on to their own. On Lonely Weekend, possibly the best track here, Musgraves succeeds in capturing some of that album’s dreamy atmosphere without giving the impression that she’s striving to sound like Fleetwood Mac. It’s an album that imagines a world in which its author is the mainstream, rather than an influential outlier. It says something about its quality that, by the time it’s finished, that doesn’t seem a fanciful notion at all.

7. FetchFugly

Pleasingly the album does seem to be going down marvellously across the board with the critics.

That Guardian review is on the money with the air of Fleetwood Mac on Lonely Weekend.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias User

i cried the first time i listened to this. what a lyricist! the production is sublime

it’s an instant classic that will be remembered for a long time i imagine...

9. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I cried listening to it too :D

I declare this the best album of 2018 with Golden in the title by an artist with the initials KM

10. Ag

Ag User

I hadn't realised this was out, popping it on NOW.

11. octophone

octophone a wonderful wooden reason

Right, just read that review, colour me interested.

12. Ag

Ag User

Love is a Wild Thing is fucking beautiful.

I love Kacey.

13. Ag

Ag User

I'm not SURE if it's because everyone said they cried listening to this, but it's a genuinely beautiful emotive album. I am shedding the odd tear :o

14. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I was WOBBLY during Mother, but it was Rainbow that really got me :(

15. Ag

Ag User

Oh God, Golden Hour is just SUBLIME.

16. FetchFugly

It really is a gorgeous album. She's moved on with her sound but it feels so comfortable right away.

17. Ryan

Ryan User

Agree with all the sentiments above. One of the best records of 2018 so far, it's perfect.

18. Ag

Ag User

#6 in the UK.

19. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Her track on the country Elton John tribute album out today is LOVELY. It’d fit nicely in the tracklist of this album

She’s also on a Johnny Cash sort-of tribute album (performances of songs he wrote but didn’t record), also out today, but that contribution is just a short duet. Still nice tho

20. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Sales of 6,376.

21. FetchFugly

Good for her. I was a bit surprised to see Pageant Material charted as high as 11.

I haven't listened to it but the country covers Elton album looks more palatable than the other one.

22. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

So I ordered this to make an Amazon order up to £20 after stumbling upon a song from her first album (I think) which I like the (pretty basic but accurate) lyrics to.

23. ameraal

ameraal true love is making a comeback

high horse is really naff but it's crept up on me. i like that it's quite understated and the ending is lovely when the i don't know what klanky country shit kicks in.

24. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I don’t know how she’s escaped me until now but this is right up my street

25. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Happy and Sad is my go to at the moment though I keep thinking the lead into the chorus is going to launch Red Light Fever by Liz Phair.

26. Edward

Edward User

High Horse is outstanding. That is all.

(I do enjoy the rest of the album too).

27. FetchFugly

Somewhat belated but lovely to look at videos for Space Cowboy and Butterflies:

Got sucked into a Kacey youtube hole this morning, ending up watching her wedding video(!), the Johnny Cash duet with her husband and her husband's song about getting arrested and Kacey picking him up from jail.

28. Alex

Alex Go fish

I know nothing about her but great song yes!

29. Edward

Edward User

I think Velvet Elvis is my new favourite.

30. FetchFugly

Space Cowboy totally overshadowed it when they were released but Butterflies sounds especially wonderful on a sunny bank holiday weekend. Love Is A Wild Thing too.

31. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Pure gorgeous

32. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Couple of High Horse remixes have been put out.

FetchFugly likes this.
  33. FetchFugly

Disco country queen of the popular music video. The rainbow ensemble. :disco:

BoysForSeles likes this.
  34. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Saw her last night. Splendid performance. Whilst the current album is her best the songs thrown in from the first two sounded amazing and seemed to get the biggest response. I think she was hoping to see more of the crowd on their feet during the show but I feel there were too many downtempo but lovely moments to expect that. Everyone was up by the end.

35. FetchFugly

Critical darling, and album of the year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46621287

Wow, did Camila Cabello really feature that highly on year end lists? I thought the Arctic Monkeys got middling reviews, I guess it must have been more appreciated over time.

36. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Well deserved.

Her husband’s, Ruston Kelly, album Dying Star From this year was a good listen too.

FetchFugly likes this.
  37. FetchFugly

I listened to some of his stuff earlier this year but lost track before the album. They are certainly a talented and handsome couple. He seems to be quite the Christopher Dean on the side too:

38. FetchFugly

QUEEN OF THE GRAMMYS

39. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Well deserved recognition.

40. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

She really is THAT yee-haw bitch :disco: