Katy Perry - Daisies (FIRST Single from 5th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop' started by OutSynk, May 7, 2020.

1. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I loved this (and most of the first album).

2. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

I know right.

I can remember the comparison properly starting when 'Roar' and 'Applause' were released at the same time.

3. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

KP top 10:

1. Teenage Dream
    2. Dark Horse
    3. Chained to the Rhythm
    4. E.T. (feat. Kanye West)
    5. Hot N Cold
    6. Part of Me
    7. I Kissed a Girl
    8. The One That Got Away
    9. Roulette
    10. Swish Swish

(11. Roar)
    (12. Wide Awake)

4. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

interesting

5. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

I meant WIDE AWAKE

EDITED NOW :D

Pipo likes this.
  6. wurst

wurst User

Well this was another flop in the basket for KP wasn't it :D

Pipo and dUb like this.
  7. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

It's really not very good is it?

Pipo likes this.
  8. Jark

Jark User

It is, actually.

She's 35, pregnant, probably past her days of scoring huge hits - I don't think it's a flop actually. It went in at 40 on the Hot 100, has kept its streaming numbers quite solid, and over time could have a similar run to What About Us by P!nk, which is probably the most relevant point of comparison. People need to adjust their expectations, her commercial zenith is behind her but she's adapting well to her new place in pop.

Here's the fagtastic MK remix

9. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

What About Us that went top ten on US Pop airplay and got to #3 in the UK charts? :confused:

Given it's barely retaining its bullet at #43 on the former and doing virtually nothing here, it's far and away a much smaller 'hit' by any metric.

I'm happy to be a Katy apologist from time to time, but unless there's a pretty significant turnaround it's hard to see this as anything other than a big disappointment.

POP! and wurst like this.
  10. wurst

wurst User

:D I would class What About Us as one of Pink’s signature songs these days, at least in the UK.

How do I insert the Jinkx Monsoon “Delusion...convince yourself” GIF

11. Ag

Ag User

The MK remix is the tits. So that's something.

Jark likes this.
  12. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

Daisies
    Daisies
    DAISIES !!!!!1!!!

OutSynk, Mugatu, Pipo and 5 others like this.
  13. Pipo

Pipo welcome to moopatica

I like KP and stan when it's worth it but seriously she's one more single release away from joining the ranks of Nelly Furtado and Jessie J of "Oh they're STILL around?".
    Just keep releasing music to no fanfare hun, just because you do it for the ART.

The age thing is BS, Sia was still having huge hits just a couple of years ago and wasn't she like 39?

14. Jark

Jark User

It's not BS at all, as a female making pop it's really hard to get big radio play (especially in the US) after 35. Sia was an exception, she went mainstream well into her career and a few radio smashes. Pink struggled to get follow up singles to What About Us played at the age of 38. How many others can you name? The industry is inherently biased against "older" females who are actually still very much young.

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  15. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

"Believe" by CHER says hi :disco:

16. Ag

Ag User

How many older men are currently getting hits?

17. dUb

dUb X HALLE

Suedey
    Suedey
    SUEDEY !!!!1!!!

OutSynk, Pipo, Suedey and 1 other person like this.
  18. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

And Katy Perry is about a galaxy away from becoming a Cher.

Only the really standout legends get hits past 40.

Suedey likes this.
  19. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Like who the fuck would have an appetite for a post-40 Katy Perry song? The age aside, she just isn't interesting enough to sustain a chart-topping career long term.

Pipo and dUb like this.
  20. dUb

dUb X HALLE

Let's be honest, she never should have been huge in the first place and she can't be again without Dr Luke

Pipo likes this.
  21. wurst

wurst User

I’m here for KP having hits if it’s a Never Really Over - Daisies however is a TOTAL TURD MOMENT and a ridiculous choice to try and launch an album :D

If she cba, why should anybody else.
    It’s deffo feeling very Nelly Furtado/Jessie J for her right now.

Pipo likes this.
  22. Jark

Jark User

The very idea that she's been around long enough and has anything left to prove, when she's had such an incredibly accomplished career and is still entertaining as a popstar, in her particular space within pop, is in itself if not sexist then outright ridiculous. Sometimes, KC hun, you don't sound very well versed on the nuances of culture and the times we live in.

Pipo, POP! and wurst like this.
  23. Ag

Ag User

:D:D:D

wurst likes this.
  24. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

No Jark. Just no. She's flopping because her songs STINK. It's that simple. There's the odd decent song here and there, but she's been releasing 99% garbage since Prism. "Been around" doesn't actually mean she's been doing anything good. It just means she keeps sticking around, hoping to land another but can't and refuses to fuck off. She was massive from 2008 to 2014. That's a good 6 years. But to somehow translate that into having nothing "left to prove" is just hogwash. 6-year chart success is absolutely nothing unique. ACTUAL longevity is AT LEAST 10 years of chart relevance.

And don't try to make this about "culture". This is about Katy Perry and how her music sucks right now. What's she's doing right now would flop whether she was 26 or 46.

Diddy and wurst like this.
  25. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Tu cabeza, mi cabeza

Reading some of you, you’d think it’s a complete turd, but I actually like that!

Jark likes this.
  26. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Tu cabeza, mi cabeza

The remix is ace too!

Jark likes this.
  27. Jark

Jark User

I mean, yeah, it's a good song. These queens don't know what is what, but a tiger does not need opinions from a shellfish or a sheep.

wurst and Dark Carnival like this.
  28. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

An interesting and legitimate question and the answer is I don't know. A lot of the older hit makers are dead (Michael Jackson, George Michael etc.) and the biggest names at the moment (Ed Sheeran, the Capaladi thing, Drake, The Weeknd, Harry Styles, etc.) are all still (fairly) young.

I suppose Timberlake & Usher are pushing 40 aren't they? Are they having hits? Then again you have 'bands' with male singers like Maroon SHITE and he must be in his 40s and they're having hits but bands are a different kettle of fish...

loony likes this.
  29. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

I don’t stay too current with heterosexual trends, but I wager 40+ Eminem, Coldplay etc are still relative commercial successes too...

30. Jark

Jark User

Exactly. For Adam Levine to have a hit on pop radio with a perfectly functional but entirely derivative Maroon 5 song is almost a given. A woman can achieve the same with perhaps the comeback song of her career if she's very lucky, or scrape a top ten for perhaps the last time. But it's way harder for women.

It's also why Madonna has been so heavily scrutinised at every turn post 2001 - people are waiting for an older woman to fall, or have a couple of shit singles in a row, or embarrass herself, or swing and miss, so that they can drop her in the bin.

Katy at 35 can put out two or three mediocre singles and suddenly she's being written off (despite having really quite a sizeable hit with an excellent song just one year ago) cos people see her age and accept that she's done now. It's kinda fucked up! Well done for engaging in it though @KindaCool!

POP! likes this.
  31. SystemAddict

SystemAddict Closing your eyes can be a hazard to your health!

#6 on the Scottish Album Charts hitmaker Louise says “Hi Girls!”

Devil, POP! and Suedey like this.
  32. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

LOL @ this being "an excellent song". It's her worst single ever. Tuneless, boring and forgettable.

33. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

Calm down Jarkette! No one is writing her off. We just don't like "Daisies Daisies DAISIES!!!!!1!!!" as much as you do.

Pipo and KindaCool like this.
  34. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I don't know how a song so empty could invoke such strong love for it. Worst song of 2020 so far.

35. dUb

dUb X HALLE

Crazies
    Crazies
    CRAZIES !!!!1!!!

KindaCool likes this.
  36. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

What a weird argument. Of course women are subject to ageism in the music industry.

But also, Daisies is shit.

wurst, POP! and KindaCool like this.
  37. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Right? I'd love to know WHICH hot young diva Jark thinks could've made a hit out of that crap :D

38. Pipo

Isn't Gaga about 34? I know ROM will benefit by having Ariana on it and she's "only" 27 but Stupid Love and Shallow debunked that.
    Minaj was able to shoehorn herself in one of the BIGGEST songs of the year (at least in the US)
    Lizzo just had an amazing 2019 and she's 32.
    I don't think radio will be turning their backs soon on Taylor who just turned 30 or Rihanna who's 32 but they will always have streams to fall back on.
    kind of OTT currently I see Gwen Stefani has been lingering in what seems an eternity in Billboard's Top 30 with some country song

Maybe Katy needs to release a good song next perhaps? and Record Executives need to pump out another Billie Eilish soon cause the current pop crop just seemes to get older by the minute :shock:

KindaCool likes this.
  39. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Apparently this is just too farfetched.

There is no universe in which "Daisies" would ever be successful.

40. Pipo

In my very humble opinion she should have kept Bonnie McKee, the true mastermind behind Teenage Dream but I can only dread to think what kind of sketchy deal she had with Dr. Luke where she couldn't work by herself, without his permission. That woman was an amazing songwriter and they seemed to hit it off for a while.