Kristine W - Feel What You want

Discussion in 'The Classics - Albums and Songs' started by straightorbroken, Jul 10, 2013.

?

Indifference is a drug that I see people buy at the local store

1. 10

61.5%
  2. 09

15.4%
  3. 08

7.7%
  4. 07

7.7%
  5. 06

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 05

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

7.7%
  9. 02

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

[video=youtube;Ek47x0wUeg4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek47x0wUeg4[/video]

The first of her 13 consecutive US dance #1s, co-written by Rollo from Faithless, and arguably her signature hit. I love the spooked creepiness of it all, and her deranged diva testifying can only be matched by the probably even more perverse Billie Ray Martin (those two were of course due to record Martin's Don't We Look Good until Miss W didn't FEEL like it no more). This is just marvelous.

Jr. Vasquez also cranked it up to Hung Up levels of mania in 1997, which is also the official SorB treadmill version.

[video=youtube;50KCkF7ySag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50KCkF7ySag[/video]

2. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Calling LOOMER

I like 'One More Try' MUCH BETTER

3. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

11/10

It's FUCKING PHENOMENAL and one of my favourite dance songs of ALL TIME. "One More Try" ain't HALF BAD either. I've got the parent album somewhere...and the second one, which was SHIT

4. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

BORING.

5. loomer

loomer User

Yes please. But some of her shit such as "Fly Again" and the Deep Dish mix of "Land of the Living" are even more :disco: heaven.

6. loomer

loomer User

I can see why some would think that, yeah.. but I just can't resist that house riff.. it sounds like OT Quartet's "Hold That Sucker Down".

I really need to find what her best mixes are.. she's had some top remixers, and I suppose all those US dance #1s weren't for nothing. Some songs like "One More Try" and "Some Lovin" are just dull and could never be saved by any amount of house wizardry.

7. straightorbroken

Oh Deep Dish really are something else, I'm becoming impatient waiting on them coming back. I was listening to ALL of the Honey remixes by Billie Ray Martin - it's hard to chose a favourite as you have the Queen B, Chicane and Deep Dish all sounding like definitive versions, and the King B and Above & Beyond edits are also entrancing. LET ME TELL YOU NOW - for rough-edged big-voice cravings, Hold That Sucker Down is near unbeatable.

8. loomer

loomer User

DD even did the impossible by spinning gold out of straw with Gabrielle's hideous Rise. That may well be my fave remix of all time.

9. straightorbroken

Gabs had a gaggle of great remixes actually, it's a shame she didn't keep the standard of Give Me Just A Little More Time if MOR was where her heart lay. I always remember the look of revulsion from Mary J Blige on the short-lived Jo Whiley channel 4 talk show after Gabrielle sang something acapella in a VT. The same episode where she scoffed "there's some BULL SHIT going on here" whilst adjusting her sitting position after H had just finished talking through the craft of his song-writing process.

10. loomer

loomer User

Yeah, I definitely agree.. Gab remixes tended to be amazing. God I have to dig out this shit for the iPod. :evil: :disco: I'm going round the bend hearing the SAME songs on the cardio playlist all the time, I could never think of anything suitable apart from some old Eurodance.

11. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Was that the same episode where H claimed to have a girlfriend? I can't imagine they'd have had HIM on twice... I remember watching it at the time, utterly agog :D

12. straightorbroken

I have no idea. Sinéad O'Connor biting her toenails was that show's highlight clearly.

13. loomer

loomer User

H is an idiot.. he really didn't have to say anything! It annoyed me the way he pre-announced it for Big Brother. Do a LIVE coming out. :disco:

14. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

I LOVE all this handbag house stuff.

I also love the fact that, due to her having a ludicrous number of #1 hits on everyone's favourite ridiculous chart the US Hot Club Play Whatever, she has a wikipedia page that contains FAR more info than you'd expect from someone who was essentially as popular in the UK as any also-ran faceless dance diva from the 90s. S-J anyone?

15. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

That was SO GROSS. I loved that Jo Whiley show. The best thing she EVER DID.

16. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Truly one of Rollo's most GLITTERING AND GOLDEN EGGS and God knows he knew how to LAY 'EM :disco:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  17. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I think this calls for a ROLLO TEN. Productions so thrillingly immense in scope (not to mention relentlessly minor key) that they were POSITIVELY WAGNERIAN. And don't even start me on the existentialist angst

1. Faithless / 'Salva Mea' (Epic Mix) - That intro ALONE. :disco: / :( TO INFINITY
    2. Livin' Joy / 'Dreamer' (Rollo's Big Mix) - I mean for GOODNESS' SAKE
    3. Olive / 'You're Not Alone' (Rollo and Sister Bliss Mix) - Screamingly amazing
    4. Faithless / 'Don't Leave' (Mix 2) - Where has all the LOVE GONE? Fuck me, that PIANO LINE! :disco:
    5. The O.T. Quartet / 'Hold That Sucker Down' (Builds Like A Skyscraper Mix) - I came up on my first E to this - I started a little late - which SAYS IT ALL
    6. Kristine W / 'Feel What You Want' (Our Tribe Vocal) - Because in this world of colour, the brightest picture is plugged right INTO YOUR WALL
    7. Absolutely Fabulous / 'Absolutely Fabulous' (Our Tribe Tongue In Cheek Mix) - Those minor chords make Edina and Patsy's ramblings sound UTTERLY HOLLOW
    8. Sister Bliss with Colette / 'Cantgetaman, Cantgetajob (Life's A Bitch!)' (Mix 1) - Although 'Oh! What A World' comes oh so very close: and now I may have a man, but boy, he frankly DON'T GIVE A DAMN
    9. Rollo Goes Mystic / 'Love, Love, Love - Here I Come' (Big Mix) - THRILLING
    10. Rollo Goes Camping / 'Get Off Your High Horse' (Work It Babe Mix) - COO

I might have to do SIMMONDS AND JONES next :disco:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    wurst likes this.
  18. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

OH PLEASE DO

19. That One

That One User

What a fabulous post :disco:

I might have slipped in Mr V "Give Me Life" and I DO think their remix of Simply Red (:() "Fairground" is amazing.

Space Brothers and their various PSEUDONYMS are my very favourites so go for it

20. loomer

loomer User

Oh this is manna from the disco heavens. I also loved that "Fairground" mix.

Skimmed over this part. Now I actually saw an epidode with him on it and Jo kept prodding away at his personal life when he said "Nothin' Compares 2 U" was a fave heartbreak song and he replied "I'm not telling you" when she asked who he was sad about which rung major bells as his reluctance said it all and who would go out with him anyway.

MJB was on that episode and would be worth tracking this down again for, giving scant praise to female jungle vocalists.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  21. Ag

Ag User

Just discovered this bitch (where was I for the last 20 years?!)

I agree that One More Try is the better, but this is of course fabulous.

22. Ag

Ag User

This playlist is going to SAVe my 7am start tomorrow morning.

23. wurst

wurst User

SO VERY UPSET basically nothing in this list of glittering amyl nitrate is on Spotify :angry:

The gay history ERASURE is just TOO FUCKING MUCH!

24. wurst

wurst User

Related: Feel What You Want does of course remain a tower of utter moody magnificence. That it doesn’t even start to really pop off until about 3 minutes in despite having a full vocal all the way through :disco:

25. wurst

wurst User

Obviously listening to OT Quartet (BUILDS LIKE A SKYSCRAPER MIX) AS I TYPE as the sole survivor from the fabled Spotify/handbag house riots.

Loving and living for every single millisecond OF COURSE :disco:

26. wurst

wurst User

Has a song ever been SO OBVIOUSLY made for the remix as One More Try :D

The single version is fine/lovely in its reasonably anaemic Not Over You Yet-esque glory, but THAT VOCAL really pops once remixed :disco:

It’s kind of amazing Kristine W went from 3 genuinely brilliant singles on her debut to whatever tat she started putting out after. HOW did her and Rollo even get AQUAINTED

27. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

To be fair Lovin' You has its rather straightforward charms and I do enjoy Fly Again as well.

Anyway, this is MARVELLOUS.

28. wurst

wurst User

Thanks babe, her spotify is so OVERWHELMING (it literally has a ringtone pack uploaded :D ) any pointers post the first album APPRECIATED!

MORE HOT KRISTINE W CHAT PLEASE :disco:

29. straightorbroken

At the local store?

I wonder what Billie Ghoul Martin did to freak her out, since I gather Madame W suddenly stopped returning her 15 calls a day. I'd love to hear their unreleased Don't We Look Good as it was certainly a vintage period for both.