La La Land

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by Phoenix, Dec 29, 2016.

?

rate

1. 10

21.9%
  2. 09

31.3%
  3. 08

15.6%
  4. 07

15.6%
  5. 06

6.3%
  6. 05

3.1%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

3.1%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Well this was disappointing, it's not bad by any means but I was left feeling is that it? I could see what it was trying to do with all the throwbacks to old musicals but it was all so slight and blah. The music was beautiful and the songs are great but there are essentially five/six songs and some dance numbers, the second half is mostly spent watching this rather bland unoriginal love story unfold.

Maybe my expectations were too high but it wasn't as good as I was lead to believe from all the hype. Also Ryan Gosling is gorgeous but rather dead behind the eyes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Did you see it INS KINO or has it leaked?

3. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Cinema, nothing has leaked this year so far (well Nocturnal Animals did but with Chinese subtitles).

4. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

I listened to the soundtrack earlier in the week and only liked one song.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  5. Mugatu

Mugatu User

6. Ag

Ag User

Not cool.

7. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

Minimal

8. Mugatu

Mugatu User

Fuck

I was trying to merge a poll

FUck

9. Ag

Ag User

Very post modern.

10. Jacques

Jacques doing it for my lover

Basically in full agreement with Phoenix. I wanted to love it but ultimately can only bring myself to give it 7/10. I was tapping my feet along more to "Take On Me" than any of the original songs, I didn't like any of them as much as say "Can't Stop The Feeling" or "How Far I'll Go". I liked parts of the ending (the throwbacks to earlier in the movie), but not sure I was a fan of the actual outcome. Well acted and nice to look at but hope it doesn't sweep up the awards TOO much.

11. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Should I not bother with this then? I have so much on my list of Oscar season that I'd quite like to LIGHTEN the load.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

No you should watch it, it is still the front runner for best picture.

13. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I think I ADMIRED this more than I actually enjoyed it. I really appreciate what they were going for, but the most important part of any musical - the music - SUCKED. It's seriously difficult to feel too positively about a musical when there are no memorable songs (AND when the vocalists are shit).

I did really enjoy the way they played with narrative/expectations etc. and it was such a beautiful film, visually.

Speaking of beautiful, Ryan Gosling is so distracting. How am I supposed to accept him as a total failure in life when he looks like THAT?

14. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

It was very distracting. I kept thinking I would buy this more if it was Miles Teller as it was supposed to be. He's too pretty and empty to convey passion.

15. Ryan

Ryan User

I saw this last night and thought it was brilliant. I'm really not a fan of musicals, however, so the lack of big numbers probably improved it for me. I thought it was a refreshingly lovely watch throughout and Emma Stone, who I find can be hit and miss, was just perfect in it.

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  16. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

It's SO good. It was almost a 10 but there's a long section in the middle without any musical action and it makes the whole thing feel a little disjointed and like you're watching an entirely separate film.

The acting is brilliant, I cared SO SO much about the ending that I sat there with tears streaming down my face and, yes, Ryan Gosling is just too beautiful to behold. I've always liked him as an actor, but this film took it over the edge for me- he is superb, but Stone edges it with that audition song for me. Wonderful.

I cannot wait to see it again.

Kevin likes this.
  17. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I thought this was good, but not great. Some of the choices puzzled me. I sort of understood casting movie stars over singers in terms of the leads, but why was John Legend literally the only person in the movie with any kind of voice? The opening scene was shot like some kind of big budget musical spectacular, but the vocals all sounded like they'd been recorded underwater.

I spent all of the musical numbers really willing them to actually *SING*, but arguably aside from Emma Stone's audition piece, it just never happened. The dancing felt the same way. I'm no expert on such things, but all the routines looked like rehearsals to me, there was no fluidity or joy there.

I would also agree that the songs themselves were quite forgettable. City of Dreams(?) was great the first time, but God I was sick of it by the end.

On the plus side, it was shot beautifully and both of the leads were very charming, even though their characters spent a lot of the movie acting like entitled cunts.

18. Sheena

All that review did is remind me I must order the soundtrack...

19. Sheena

Anyway, to counteract that, the whole idea of it was that it is a throwback to the MGM Musical days (hence the opening, the "old" dress, the use of technicolor-esque colours at the start) but juxtaposed with today's society. I thought both leads had ok enough voices, without being spectacular, but surely that was intentional as neither of them were supposed to be "singers"- they're ordinary people, as opposed to John Legend who was, er, a singer. No offence, but I presumed that would be blindingly obvious...

20. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I liked it a lot, however Ryan Gosling while a beautiful man and a great actor - not a great singer. Same for Emma Stone who was slightly better in the singing department.

I was expecting it to be a full blown musical, so I was disappointed when halfway through it sort of forgot about it and remembered again at the end. Being a sort of tribute to the classic Hollywood musicals, it didn't quite live up to the standards of the best of them.

21. Sheena

As I said. It's SO strange that they seem to just give up it for a bit...

22. Samuel

Samuel User

Perfection (you're all that I want). This wasn't just a film, it captured a feeling and emotions that rarely translate on screen. Just sheer joy from beginning to end.

RaspberrySwirl and Kevin like this.
  23. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I enjoyed it much more than I expected, for the same reasons as Samuel. Despite the niggles I have about it, it really captured a feeling, a yearning to make your dreams/goals come true, the slight melancholy that comes with being so far from that dream. Neither of them can sing for SHIT though.

24. VoR

I got that it was probably a choice, I'm just not sure it really worked. It made the music seem really underpowered (to me, anyway).

Again to go back to the opening number. It looks spectacular, but then the vocals come in and the first girl who sings has no voice whatsoever. It really took me out of it.

25. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Oh yes, John Legend. He can't act for shit.

26. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'm off to see this tomorrow, although with a friend I went to see Collateral Beauty with, and look how that turned out. Still, at least it's in a beautiful theatre.

I really don't get the adoration of Ryan Gosling, in terms of his looks. I don't know whether that may be a help or a hindrance.

27. Kevin

Kevin Niet meer zo lang geleden

I loved this so so much. I think Ryan and Emma are great together (just like they were in Crazy Stupid Love). It is strange how the trailer suggests it's all over the top musical when it really isn't. A shame as well, because my boyfriend didn't want to see this after the trailer. I think the soundtrack was great and I listen to it quite a lot. City of Stars is one of the sweetest songs of the last couple of years and the ending was perfect for me. So happy to see this doing so well at the box-office.

28. Alex

Alex Go fish

Oh I really enjoyed it, Emma much better than Ryan in terms of acting and singing obvs.
    The ending was a total rip off of
    Les Parapluies de Cherbourg
    though But still made me cry a bit :shy:

29. Sheena

The whole thing is a massive homage to said film ANYWAY, if you ask ME...

Sharla likes this.
  30. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

It was a 3-star moment at best. Not unlikeable but certainly over-hyped.

31. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

What SHIT! Paper thin plot, characters and vocals. The opening song was a joke - no idea what they were singing about, it was like watching a bunch of The Sims doing a musical number.

Eileen and Zu-Klara like this.
  32. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I loved it. I toyed with giving a 10, but that would be a bit silly.

Kind of agreed with VoR about that opening number though, in as much as the sound was so murky in it. And if I struggled with anything, it was that musicals work for me on giving yourself over to them entirely for them to work - and then in that section where it wasn't a musical, that did sort of begin to wear off and what would have been shortcomings otherwise for me started to become just that.

I loved all the Ingrid references in it. Although they did also kind of indicate the ending.

33. VoR

I should clarify that I found the movie attractive and heartfelt enough to be easily worthy of the 8/10 I gave it, despite the negative tone of my review. I just think I could have absolutely adored it if not for the few elements that didn't work for me. But I fully acknowledge that most of those were almost certainly artistic choices which worked for others if not for me.

34. cwej

cwej User

It was a lovely movie, and I particularly liked their little tap routine early on - they're no Fred and Ginger, but they did a decent job and made it fun. Agree the singing left a lot to be desired, expecially Gosling. But it engaged me and I enjoyed it.

35. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

I thought it was very good. The singing numbers were weak-ish aside from the audition song (which stole the movie) but it didn't feel reliant on its songs anyway. The performance numbers were fantastic.

Ryan Gosling was very good. Emma Stone was great. Visually it was amazing.

36. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Wonderful. Worthy of the praise for its ambition, its charm, its homagery and its style. A stunningly beautiful film to watch, and whoever did the cinematography and art direction deserve all the awards in the world. The primary colours of the costumes and the pastels of the scenery were sublime.

The two leads didn't look too shabby either and THANK THE LORD ABOVE that Emma Watson and her forehead dropped out.

37. ameraal

ameraal is this too much?

i really liked this. there were a few iffy bits but overall, it was a lovely film and one of those that you walk out off remembering your own dreams.

strangely i much preferred stone to gosling (who i am a very vocal lover of usually) though he started off well, had better lines and costumes.

what really bugged me was them splitting up because she got a role in paris for four months. what the fuck, kids, it's only four months.

also, i wasn't really sure what the ending was trying to tell us (i was distracted by urgent work stuff on the phone *manson smilie*... she imagined their life together and just accepted it was not meant to be?

38. ameraal

ameraal is this too much?

reading back through the comments, gosling was a bit underwhelming for me. i'm blocking the entire john legend thing from memory. i did not enjoy it, it felt like something out of a kid's tv show.

what touched me the most was the scene where they had the fight over dinner. it felt very real and i'm always fascinated how two people who love each other can feel so misunderstood and at odds with each other and hurt each other so badly at moments.

btw does emma stone have an ever so slight lisp or did she employ it for the movie? i swear i could not take my eyes off it during her big audition scene but it only added to her appeal.

39. Sheena

That isn't what it was about at all. They'd already had issues- his career was taking him away from her, she'd be going away too and they just weren't sure how it would pan out.

That's precisely what it was. Which made it all the more :( for me...

40. VoR

Love this :D

Ellie likes this.