Lady Gaga - Born This Way FIRST LISTEN PARTY

Discussion in 'Lady Gaga' started by Penelope, May 17, 2011.

1. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

I'm afraid this might be a first but - AGREED

2. funky

funky INCAPABLE

OK so I'm LISTENING

Marry The Night - first thoughts were OH GREAT CASCADA but now I'm getting a whiff of early 80s discorock. In that at least I can see the appeal. But it's not for me 5

Born This Way - an amazing anthem swallowed by ridiculous overproduction 6

Government Hooker - oh my God something a bit DIFFERENT. I'm shocked. Sounds like a remixed Moloko track. Unfortunately it also sounds like something from American Life - experimental and conceptual in place of an actual tune. Still, it's interesting. 6

Judas - Absolutely fucking terrible. There are no excuses for this complete rubbish 1

Americano - Eurovision-tastic. More of that overly-produced speed-pop but it is at least catchy and I'm a sucker for latin tinges. Just lay off those THUMPING RHYTHMS for a little, Gaga. You're fucking OBSESSED 6

Hair - starts off really good in that 80s rockpop anthem way. Oh look it's the exact same production as EVERY OTHER SONG YET AGAIN. Since when did an entire album of the same sound constitute quality? It just reminds me of when all those dance acts from the 90s were forced to rush-release albums (see 2 Unlimited, N-Trance, etc). I don't hate it but it's about as groundbreaking as Dunlop trainers 5

Scheiße - this reminds me of Madonna for some reason. Again I don't hate it, but it's giving me nothing new in any single way whatsoever 5

Bloody Mary - it's amazing when she strips it back and you can actually hear a SONG. I'm hearing harmonies and intricate production - oh MY. This is a really interesting track. On a similar album of my choice (ie Roisin, Goldfrapp) it would only be an album track but still, I can detect her TALENT finally. The bridge is also very good. 7

Bad Kids - Doesn't do anything for me but I can actually hear a song in this one. Sounds like a demo from an 80s pop album. 5

Highway Unicorn - Underworld meets Mealoaf by way of Laura Branigan. I get it, but I'm just a bit bored now. 6

Heavy Metal Lover - 4

Electric Chapel - 4

You & I - she really can do it. She just chooses not to most of the time. 9

Edge Of Glory - Her masterpiece, I've decided. Allowing the melody to drive the production, not the other way around. Incredible chorus. I want an acoustic version NOW. - 9

Oh well. I'm clearly not getting this sound she's so comfortable with so I may as well bow out and not try. But for as long as she continues to produce music I'll be hanging around on the perimeter waiting for that odd gem to fall on my lap. Which she is MORE than capable of.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

The question IS

Will funks have his first ever QoL moment to Scheiße? :disco:

4. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Can I just say I LOVE Scheiße. Best thing she's EVER DONE! :disco:

5. Jark

Jark User

I'm currently enjoying one of many daily listens through this opus and it's really STRIKING ME how GLORIOUS Born This Way (SONG) is. I don't think there's a single song in history I've been more baffled by the reaction to.

6. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

:disco:

What an amazing description. Alarmingly accurate. No wonder I love it so much.

7. Tramell

Tramell Amen Fashion

Well, the whole "Express Yourself" comparison was totally blown out of proportion and put it from the beginning in a very unflattering light.
    I still can't hear any similarity apart from the chord progression, I mean those mash-ups all sound fucking awful which says it all...

8. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Well so far the standouts are Bloody Mary and Edge of Glory, Hair is terrible, Scheibe would have been ok if there weren't two other songs where she does silly accents.

Also do we really need a thread for each song :zombie:

9. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I'm cringing with every waking breath, I assure you

10. Jark

Jark User

I didn't realise it required BREATH to CRINGE

11. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

That is beisde the point, it's still RIDICULOUS and UNNECESSARY.

12. Jark

Jark User

I guess a THREAD per MASTERPIECE is too HIGH CONCEPT for some people!

13. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

More of a shit concept for people who lost their minds over an album, and while i'm at it the banner is beyond shit, one of the ugliest album covers in recent years and we put it in our banner :zombie:

There was a time when we were about quality and not quantity, not anymore apparently.

14. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Why NOT a thread for every song, if it's going to encourage discussion? I could understand it if she didn't have her own forum, but as it is, it's just fine.

15. lolly

I do still think that the lyrics, PARTICULARLY to British ears, are beyond trite. And that production wise it veers on very messy indeed.

16. funky

funky INCAPABLE

science newsflash jark: breath is, in fact, required for you to do ANYTHING

17. Loufoque

I must have BLACKED OUT during THOSE YEARS

We've always been about QUALITY HYPERBOLE

One look at the Confessions on a Dancefloor, Circus and E=MC2 leak threads will tell you THAT!

18. Krust

Krust User

Since I play Farmville :daf: I could stream the album today for completing a task (and got 5 farm cash for it, which equals to about $1 :D).

It's really strong, I adore "marry the night" - but the biggest surprise was "born this way" for me, which I never cared for before. I still think the instrumental sounds heavily overcompressed but there is such a strong song under that and the sequencing only enhances that.

19. POP!

POP! Across that county line

I can't wait for this to be the soundtrack of my Summer. despite the shit single I do have HIGH HOPES for Beyonce's album in June. She seems to get better with each album

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  20. POP!

And I want INSTRUMENTALS, I think it would bring my appreciation for the songs even higher

21. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

i'm not talking about one or two threads, i'm talking about 13 new threads each one about a song off an album (while we already have 2 threads for said album) that just leaked two days ago and a banner.

Anyways it seems that i'm in the minority here, so i'll just go sulk in the TV forum.

22. OhSnap

OhSnap Who?

I really couldn't stand it but after seeing her perform it, and giving it a few more spins, all my friends and I now adore it.
    it really did take quite a while but at least most people are coming around to it now.

23. Loufoque

I really like Bad Kids now - leaving precisely NO TRACKS below an EIGHT for me

24. Jark

Jark User

Bad Kids has definitely begun climbing the ranks - I much prefer it to Electric Chapel (ultimately dull), Highway Unicorn (complete mess aside from the chorus) and perhaps even Bloody Mary.

25. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I have been loving Judas SO much more lately. Despite being the least experimental/interesting song, when it pops up in the running it FEELS RIGHT and I'm now enjoying it for the song it is rather than thinking it as a disappointing second single. Its positioning between Government Hooker and Americano is perfect. The same is true of Born This Way, although I still don't like it much it feels right to listen to it here and again it's more enjoyable.

Bad Kids is ALRIGHT but that chorus is the weakest bit of the entire album for me. Actually it reminds me of the Born This Way chorus - LACKING. But almost every song is 8/10 at least for me. I'm still QUITE STUNNED by the WHOLE AFFAIR

Bloody Mary is now in my Gaga top 5, perhaps TOP THREE fact fans

26. Jark

Jark User

I bet I know who wrote that it's no Killer Love tag

27. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

The funny thing is it's actually true - and thank FUCK for it

28. [insert your best offer here]

[insert your best offer here] User

It's still better than having a whole subforum for each track (including bonus-tracks, booklet and artwork)

29. Jark

Jark User

Penelope Stagnant has been surprisingly quiet these past couple of days

Either he's busy with his New Labour espionage mission or he's got himself so excited about this record that he's actually DIED

I mean that was a LOT of 10/10s he gave - perhaps once you find the PERFECT ALBUM your life's work is complete and you instantly go to heaven

30. Jark

Jark User

Then again if Catfights couldn't finish ME off he's probably just busy

31. Loufoque

Boys

I've had ANOTHER BTW "moment"

This time to FASHION OF HIS LOVE

It's ONE A DAY at the moment! :disco:

32. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Ermmmm...yay we're not that retarded yet :rolleyes:

33. lolly

Booklet and artwork IS an idea for a new thread on Monday when we all get our PAWS on it though

YAY

34. [insert your best offer here]

[insert your best offer here] User

Wait until Monday :o

35. Mats

Mats User

scans leaked yesterday. shall I make one? :disco:

36. lolly

ABSOLUTELY :disco:

37. lolly

Oh, and I'll get on to Wendy for that manson with facial horns smilie we all agreed on as well.

38. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

39. Loufoque

I like how she reacts to the leak

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PZuMrLioqUo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

40. POP!

Well last night it was NICE because my ALBUM LEAKED :D