Lady Gaga - Born This Way FIRST LISTEN PARTY

Discussion in 'Lady Gaga' started by Penelope, May 17, 2011.

1. Kevin

Kevin Niet meer zo lang geleden

I love her explaining Judas to him.

2. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

This isn't a first listen, I thought I'd eschew being a predictable h8r and actually give this album a fair chance. So this is my five listens in review - and the good news is that repeat listens have revealed some really good stuff here, so I guess I have a bit of humble pie to eat. It's still very uneven, but at least the rubbish stuff is more interesting than the generic dirge on The Fame.

Marry The Night

This would have been such a good single. Maybe it still can be. Loving the 90s dance sound. The bridge before the final chorus is absolutely wonderful, I really like the slightly Miley Cyrus-esque voice she adopts at points in this album (see also Hair). I moaned in the past that she needs to stop trying to make every release an "event" and just release some great throwaway pop singles. This is exactly that. Well done Gaga. One criticism - it really doesn't need to be as long as it is. Cutting off the final minute would make it so much more effective. 8/10

Born This Way

I still don't get this. It's just such a limp dick of a pop song. The verses sound like they're building to something great, but the chorus just sounds so flat and demo-ish to me. The uber-pretentious intro and the rap showcase everything that annoys me about her these days. A complete misfire. 4/10

Government Hooker

Not sure what to say about this. I quite like it, but it sounds more like an overlong interlude than a proper track. I can't imagine why I'd ever want to hear it in isolation. Putting something like this so early in the album feels like it kills the momentum a lot, and let's face it after Born This Way it was already suffering the musical equivalent of a SEVERE STITCH 6/10

Judas

I really think this is just an awful, awful piece of music. Everything about it, from the nonsense lyrics to that completely embarassing spoken word section is watered down Bad Romance with all the joy, attitude and FUN taken out. The Judaaa-Juda-aaah is the single most unattractive pop hook of the year so far in my opinion. It's so ugly and obvious that I could almost believe she was mocking the fans for buying into such shit. Fortunately they didn't, so the joke was at least momentarily on her. 1/10

Americano

Now this I LIKE. As her been widely mentioned, it's just totally batshit and all the better for it. The Mambo Italiano intro is a nice nod to proper old school camp, after which it explodes into gay tango nonsense. I could never in a million years imagine this being played on the radio. For the first time on this record, and possibly in her career, I get the sense that she is genuinely into gay culture, rather than just co-opting the most painfully obvious elements of it like a modern day Geri Halliwell with a budget to burn. 8/10

Hair

My biggest U-turn moment. After initially dismissing this piece of fluff I properly love it now. It pretty much is a Pink chorus with Miley Cyrus lyrics, but the fact that Gaga sits somewhere in between them vocally makes it work. The bit where her voice goes all girlish and American in the middle 8 is a really special pop moment. I can admit when I'm wrong, and I was wrong about this. 9/10

Scheiße

This is so Eurodance! I can imagine Gala singing it on some hits of 1994 CD. Obviously this is a very good thing. Is the spoken word bit the Judas rap in German? If so it sounds BETTER when you can't understand the utter shit she's talking in the former. Really like this. 9/10

Bloody Mary

Now this is how you invoke Religious iconography without just sounding like a complete prat. It's essentially quite silly, but I love her flat, detached delivery and the layered vocals. My favourite by far, I love moody pop in this vein. It's too nonsensical and one-dimensional to be up there with So Happy I Could Die, but as that track was to the Monster EP, this is definitely the grumpy surprise of this album. 10/10

Bad Kid

Oh the intro to this makes me cringe. SHUT UP WOMAN. Horrible whiny tinny chorus too. Pure filler, and Self-help Gaga is definitely my least favourite of her lyrical themes. Although I'll mark it up a point for use of the word TWIT. 4/10

Highway Unicorn (Road To Love)

Every time I hear this I just end up humming Poker Face to myself. Not feeling this one. Too shouty and draggy. I like the IDEA that if a song is going nowhere, crowbarring a church organ into it might turn things around, but in this case it doesn't. 5/10

Heavy Metal Lover

Glides along pleasantly enough but ultimately a bit nothing. Again, can't see why I'd ever want to hear this in isolation. 6/10

Electric Chapel

Clearly Gaga isn't immune to the last-third quality dip. Another nothing moment. Monster EP worked so well because it was absent of stuff like this. 6/10

You & I

Ooh a powerballad! Shades of What's Up by 4 Non Blondes. I like the idea, but again I find the execution quite plodding. All the pieces are there, but there's no spark. In fact the longer this goes on the less I'm liking it. 5/10

Edge Of Glory

Another one I've done a bit of a U-turn on, although I suspect coming after a very weak run of songs is flattering this one significantly. The Saxophone really is completely ridiculous and a nice homage to all those 80s power ballads. I think it's quite overproduced, making the chorus lose a lot of its impact, but it's a nice finisher. 7/10

Cut this down to Monster EP length (and throw Judas in a fire) and you've got a fantastic set. As it stands it's not the disaster I was expecting, but no classic either. The mid-section is unexpectedly ace, but the singles have been so ill-conceived and it sounds really overproduced. I'm far from being a Funky-esque synth hater, but the choruses in a lot of these songs are pretty much neutered because they don't have room to lift off from the verses. If that makes sense, I'm terrible at describing the technical reasons why pieces of music work or don't work.

7/10 for the highlights, and given how much I've been hating her this era that's a MINOR MIRACLE in itself.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  3. ceorl

ceorl User

Great review Vor.

I'm glad Bloody Mary is receiving the praise it deserves.

You gotta Give Heavy Metal Lover a try though. It's just too good to be true

4. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

I am personally still waiting for the Suomi review

5. ceorl

ceorl User

I am waiting for the hater called Mama review

6. Loufoque

No thanks

At least Suomi's has the potential to be funny

7. Jark

Jark User

I'm not so SURE

I mean the final minute of Marry The Night is QUITE OBVIOUSLY THE BEST PART but then that's probably as good as we're going to get from the ever-upbeat VoooR

You are very right about the chant in Scheiße though VoR - it is quite literally the Judas rap in another (made up) language, even right down to the syllable structure

8. POP!

POP! Across that county line

But that's the best part!

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  9. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

Oh, I'd been listening to this album PERMANENTLY for about four days, so I decided to take a couple of days out and give it a bit of room to breathe - still love + live 4 it. I'll probably start hammering it again in a day or two.

10. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Ah, so that's where VoR's review has been skulking. Good stuff indeed - I can't say I agree with it entirely, but it's pretty fair all round I think.

11. Ag

Ag User

I'm so pleased Bloody Mary is getting some good comments (even by noted Guardian cynic VoR). It really was my instant FAVOURITE.

12. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

1. Marry The Night | Absolutely the most wonderful Lady Gaga song ever. Totally incredible. R&B, so so modern. Rap-like verses. 12455/10
    2. Born This Way | Just immense, again. Amazing key change near the end and a great vocoded Gaga bit. Brilliant key change too. 10/10
    3. Government Hooker | Probably an even better closer than Now You're Gone. Amazing Lady verse and Gaga chorus. Epic strings. 10/10
    4. Judas | This is class. Brilliantly youthful, retro yet modern. A 'bit' like a GA song actually. I think it sounds Xenomania-ish. 10/10
    5. Americano | Already spoken about this. Great song. 9.5/10
    6. Hair | Gorgeous, cute without being cutesy. Fab vocals. 9/10
    7. ScheiBe | Brilliant lyrics, brilliant vibe, brilliant spoken bits. A future favourite I'm sure. 9/10
    8. Bloody Mary | Obviously we all know this, and I love it. 9/10
    9. Bad Kids | A sad song, it's production reminds me of a Robbie Williams ballad! Though better than that obv. 9/10
    10. Highway Unicorn | Grand, like a Bond song. Dark. Will grow for sure. 8.5/10
    11. Heavy Metal Lover | Great chorus, so-so verses. Brilliant final minute. 8/10
    12. Edge of Glory | Not a classic, I think it's fair to say. Alright, but bordering on filler perhaps. 7/10

Her best album by a country mile. I just adore it already.

13. Loufoque

Aw, isn't this thread nice? Look how excited we all were. I particularly like this exchange:

14. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

I've got all my impatience with her out my system. I'm so ready for this new album. I almost WANT it to be as overblown as possible - provided there are 6 unequivocal 'max tracks' thrown in there. I don't want any You & I's - I still think that one is the most cynical thing she's ever done, nevermind all the antics. I also just need her to talk less slow and relax in her interviews. It's interesting that she still doesn't have a proper persona.

15. POP!

It does feel quite weird that she's effectively on her fourth album already. BTW does seem much older than 8 months, though.

16. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

The MDNA first listen thread was probably the most fun I've had on moopy - so many gems being unleashed, and not enough words in the dictionary to express the out-of-body-experience excitement of hearing Superstar for the first time.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

:D I had to look back to remember what I was going on about but then I remembered that we had a banner and a thread for every track, so my comment still stands.

18. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

I've just been reminding myself of how genuinely EXCELLENT the "Marry The Night" video is (once the fucking song ACTUALLY STARTS at 8 minutes and 47 seconds).

http://youtu.be/cggNqDAtJYU?t=8m47s

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  19. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

That'd be because it's twenty months...

20. Kevin

21. POP!

My head is still in 2012 for some reason. But still it feels very DETACHED from the current pop scene. But none of that is really relevant anymore, bring on Artpop

22. Jark

Jark User

In retrospect I find it surprising that VoR thought "Americano" was "the first time" he believed Gags was truly into gay culture. Did you never listen to "Alejandro"?

Anyway I am all over this album lately. Something close to a masterpiece, if not for the inclusion of "Judas" and "Highway Unicorn". Rarely have I found an album to be so jam packed with hooks at every single turn. It's like stumbling around drunk in a nightclub and being unable to find your way out of the coat room, so you just stay there in the company of your drinks and the hooks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  23. Loufoque

I'm with you Jark. 10/10 and no mistake.

24. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

It's a mess. Sure there are hooks, but the way most of the songs are flung together makes Xenomania's output sound cohesive!

25. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

My favourite Marry The Night moment is actually from the 8 minutes before the song starts.

"You may say I lost everything, but I still had my bedazzler." :disco:

26. Jark

Jark User

The "Judas" video was the best of the campaign.

[​IMG]

Love the clash of majesty and trash occurring in this particular look. :disco: Shame it was attached to such a nothing of a song.

27. Jark

Jark User

For some reason I get Baz Luhrmann's "Romeo + Juliet" teas from the whole thing and surely there can't be any higher compliment.

28. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

I still love this video.

29. Slave

Slave User

I genuinely wish I got the album more because I have no doubt that I'm missing something.

I liked a number of the singles outside of the album, but I find the whole thing such a CHORE. I think there are only 4-5 keepers on there:

Marry The Night
    Judas
    Fashion Of His Love
    The Edge Of Glory
    Yoü and I (Mark Taylor Remix)

30. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

That look what would have worked wonders for the Alejandro video. :disco:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  31. Ag

Ag User

Judas is easily her finest video. Visually stunning.

32. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter HAS BEEN

Agreed. I like the song and the video.

33. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

Judas is a max track. By far me favourite single from that album, and on my top 3 alongside Bloody Mary and Government Hooker (the dark pop holy trinity).

34. ZZ

ZZ lacklustre forgotten diva

I had a listen to all the tracks I used to love out of this album and they still sound as good as I remembered them to be. The vibe of 'Heavy Metal Lover' is great and I'll never get tired of 'Sheisse'. It wasn't a great album, but it was definitely a very very good one. I still can't stomach 'Judas' though.

35. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

I'm going to miss her underrated gay self-empowering attempts. :(

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  36. Jark

Jark User

I never was that into it for a while but I'm really hot on "Government Hooker" right now

I'm gonna DRINK my tears tonight
    I'm gonna drink my tears and CRY
    'cos I know you love me BABY
    I know you love me BABY

so '80s :disco:

37. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I'm ALL OVER this album this morning. It's so 80s. :disco:

I honestly do not understand why some pop fans hate it so much. It's like the ultimate pop album for me. An utter masterpiece.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  38. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

If only everyone loved the same thing, so many Gaga fans wouldn't be always perplexed.

39. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Phoenix: the definition of being a drag and not a queen.

40. Kevin

:D!