Laptop advice

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Devil, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Hey all,

So my laptop still goes but it's getting on a bit. Having an iPad I don't use it often, but it is what I sync my phone to and where I store all my photos and music. In light of this I am looking at getting a new one. Again, I only maybe use it once a week or so, so am just wondering advice on the best brand/type to get?

I'm not a gamer, pretty much I want it to store music and photos, I guess have capability for word/excel and surfing the net should I find something I need to do which a tablet may be a bit more annoying (eg comparing and booking flights I find easier on a laptop). Ideally I'd like to spend up to £500 as anymore and I feel it's a waste given my usage.

Any tips/good brands/advice on this is much appreciated.

2. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Desktops are better, cheaper and last longer. If you have the space and don't mind it being stationary, why get a laptop?

3. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

4. abbott

abbott User

You wanna play games on it?

5. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

6. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Well, turns out I never bothered to do this but now I really need to get a new one for working remotely.

Again, I don't really need it for much else (basic word processing etc, as I use a tablet for streaming, watching things, responding to Jark's pop girls knockout etc). Still thinking around £500. Wondering if anyone has any particular brands or if someone else has brought one recently and has any suggestions or any to avoid?

7. Mats

Mats User

I don't have any recommendations on hand but I don't think you should waste £500 on the basest of needs. you should be able to find a suitable one for £300 or less

8. Mats

Mats User

9. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Oh lovely, thanking you!

10. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

Certainly no expert, but just in terms of brand, I've had so many laptops and desktops go kaput over the years. The only brand that has consistently never failed me is HP.

I got a Macbook once and actually found it extremely unintuitive. I love using iPhones, iPads etc, but found the Mac experience really, really irritating(and very expensive). I guess I'm just too long a Windows user, but I was shocked at how so many simple tasks required memorising combinations of key presses etc.

11. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Just connect a Bluetooth keyboard to your iPad

12. Suedey

Suedey The name is Rosé. Champagne Rosé.

MacBook Pro.

End of story.

big ron likes this.
  13. Suedey

Suedey The name is Rosé. Champagne Rosé.

Oh.

No MacBook Pro then.

I suggest one of those Lenovo things then (I have one, it's ok).

14. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

Yeah tbh, I’d save up for a MacBook. Do you know any students @Devil, they normally get a good discount on Apple products

15. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

Are y'all really recommending a MacBook based on Devil's stated needs? Seems very much a case of overkill!

Lee, COB, PercyPig and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I wouldn't go for a MacBook if you don't have specific needs for one or if you've never used one. I saved up and bought one a few years ago based on how swish they look but just never got on board of with it. Ended up a big waste of money.

17. COB

COB DIONIN

Same here, I've used both Macs and PCs for work over the years and I find Macs just an awful experience for the most part. For me they're just not intuitive at all, and at my current job I actually pushed to get all the same software installed on my PC so I could get rid of my Mac entirely :D

HeLikedTurner likes this.
  18. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

It's all personal preference, interface wise or just what you're used to. I wouldn't say one OS is easier than the other. The easiest machines to use are definitely tablets, as so much of the inner workings are hidden from the user. And if you're budget conscious, I wouldn't even remotely consider a Mac :D

19. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I miss Windows 3.1 :(

20. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Well I’m working from home on an iMac but using Windows 10 through a Citrix portal, so got the best of both.

21. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

Yes, I’m the same as Ellie.

the readability of a Mac, is truly the biggest selling point for me. I’ve had mine for 7 years now, and it still runs like the day I bought it. Whereas, every windows laptop I’ve had would have died a death by this point.

22. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I'm hoping that Macbooks get gradually retired in favour of plain old iPad. The huge Pro is an absolutely wonderful machine. The OS is gradually getting revised to add in more desktop features... all you need is to decouple storage to either cloud or a personal cloud, and that is that. Getting rid of a laptop to manage a phone would be a big benefit.

ANYWAY, iPad's are a fortune still. Whenever I am asked about mid-tier laptops, I have a poke around and most things point me back to the Dell's, something like the premium XPS range. Don't read too much into 2-in-1 variants, as touch screen Windows pretty much sucks.

Failing that, you could have a poke around the Apple outlet for a bargain Macbook.

23. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Buying a new shitty laptop every 2 years or buy a mac that lasts 6+, especially if your needs are light.

Not only better economically, but environmentally, not just in terms of waste, but Apples eco ambitions are very credible. Oh and the security is a million times better. Yeah, the OS takes some adjustment, but anyone whos made the jump will tell you that going back on windows is like finding yourself in bed with an awful ex who isn't even that good a fuck. It's just awful.

24. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I don’t mean to sound like a Ja’mie style cunt but £329 is a fortune???

SDF likes this.
  25. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

Good point about the environmental aspects and maybe the waste aspect. I really did find the MacBook impenetrable though, but maybe I didn't give it my best shot. I was just warning anyone used to Windows who's thinking of using a MacBook...there really is quite a learning curve. For me, it just wasn't worth it. I'm no tech expert though. Just my experience!

26. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Oh yeah its a big shift, not being able to right click was probably the thing that threw me, but it takes about 3 months and you're fine.

27. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I'm writing to you now on an HP laptop that I bought in 2013 (I think)!

HeLikedTurner likes this.
  28. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

Wow! Yeah, they have been soooo reliable for me! The one I use most now has a SSD as opposed to a Hard Disk and it's incredibly fast too. I think it was around €500.

Diddy likes this.
  29. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

If your windows laptop only lasts you two years you’re doing something very wrong.
    I have one that’s 5 years old and works no different to the day I got it.

HeLikedTurner, Alla and COB like this.