Learning a foreign language as an adult

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Madison, Sep 3, 2011.

?

Which languages would you like to learn?

1. Arabic

19.0%
  2. Armenian

2.4%
  3. Bengali

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chinese

9.5%
  5. Danish

11.9%
  6. Dutch

14.3%
  7. Esperanto

2.4%
  8. Finnish

4.8%
  9. French

31.0%
  10. German

38.1%
  11. Greek

11.9%
  12. Hebrew

14.3%
  13. Hindi/Urdu

4.8%
  14. Italian

26.2%
  15. Irish

7.1%
  16. Japanese

21.4%
  17. Klingon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Norwegian

11.9%
  19. Persian

4.8%
  20. Polish

9.5%
  21. Portuguese

21.4%
  22. Russian

21.4%
  23. Sign language

11.9%
  24. Spanish

40.5%
  25. Swahili

2.4%
  26. Swedish

26.2%
  27. Welsh

7.1%
  28. OTHER - Please state

14.3%
  29. I have no urge to start learning another language

4.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla User

I think those are their first languages though, so that doesn't really count.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla User

I learned Spanish all four years of high school and French during the last two. I know a little Italian as well. My grandmother came from Italy when she was young but she only spoke Italian to our Italian relatives and also to my mom and aunt when she didn't want my sister and me to know what she was saying.

I've been learning Dutch little by little for the past two years. I want to learn Swedish since the only Swedish I know is all from Melodifestivalen songs.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I really recommend Duolingo as a language learning resource. It's completely FREE. They currently have Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Irish, Danish and Swedish with more to be added soon. It's a bit like Rosetta Stone but not as boring.

I'm back learning Swedish again and starting the Duolingo course from scratch to brush up on my rusty skills.

4. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I completed a 12 week Italian weekly evening class last week. I didn't really like going straight from work (which realistically I have to) though, as even though each lesson was only 2 hours long, by the end some weeks I was too tired to get the most from it.

I only really enjoyed it when we got to verb conjugation and the like. The first few weeks was learning vocabulary from crappy picture books and basic holiday style conversation. In fairness, that's what most of the people on the course seemed to want. But when we got on verb tables, I was catapulted thirty years back to O-Level French and German and started getting right into it. Unfortunately I can't sign up to the next term, as I know my work pattern is going to change at the end of January, so I can't commit to it yet. But I've told myself that if I can be bothered to do a bit of homework each week to keep myself going, I'll sign up to the next level when it starts in March.

5. Suedey

Suedey PROUD MADAME X FAN

I speak 3 out of these. Does that make me a terribly important and cultured person? Ha WHAT!

6. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

Autistic.

7. Eileen

Absolutely!

Our Kazakh CEO actually said that there was no point in learning languages like French and German... to the German girl in our office who speaks fluent French :disco:

8. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Me too. But it's all about Bradley Cooper speaking French for me, which was a total WTF moment...

9. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

I'm working on my Swedish, but mama and papa Jætike insist that Bahasa Indonesia will be a useful language for networking. Like most Euroqueens, Swedish is easy to grasp, but I'm hopeless with Danish and Norwegian :(

My Chinese is ashamedly rusty despite my A at the O Levels. It's easy enough to speak given the clearly defined intonations, but writing han zi requires lots of code-switching since I'm too used to phonics.

10. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I can second Duolingo. It has a nifty iPhone app too.

The mind bogles at how Danes understand each other though.

11. Eileen

Is Duolingo the one that Tom was talking about in the pub? I forgot what it was called precisely 0.3 seconds after asking him.

12. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

13. Eileen

Apparently I'm level 5 French.

14. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

I've been using duolingo!

15. Alex

Alex Go fish

Clearly not enough looking at this weeks score :(

16. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

My excuse for everything this week is not having heating :(

17. Eileen

QUESTION: If you had to learn a non-Indo-European language, which one would it be?

(You can pretty much tell who's a top and who's a bottom from their answer.)

18. loomer

loomer User

It apparently becomes exponentially more difficult after the age of 12 to learn a new language sadly. :( I'd love to go back to French and German which I know very little of from school, but I imagine Spanish is the most useful one.

Russian I've heard is a logical language - once you learn the alphabet, it's not that complicated and I've been told simplified Mandarin isn't very hard to learn.

19. Eileen

You were lied to.

20. Mats

Mats User

Korean

21. loomer

loomer User

Basic Russian, that is. I did think it looked hard as fuck.. any one like Arabic which has their own language :gross: no way, no way as Vanilla would have it. Perhaps this is just a preconception, though?

Polyglot stud Matsie. :disco:

I've also been told that Dutch, the Scandi languages and finally German are easier to learn for Britons than the Latin languages. Can any of the polyglots here confirm which are easiest to learn? German seems hard as fuck.. just the grammar alone, but who wouldn't aspire to be like John Grant. :disco:

22. Cécile

Cécile Shep's Classic 12"

Dutch is an easy language to learn. The pronunciation can be a bit difficult - although not quite as difficult as Danish - but the grammar is very similar to English. Its's not a very useful language though because almost every Dutch person speaks English.

It's probably been said before but I find the fascination certain gay people have with Swedish completely baffling. What's that about?

23. Jark

Jark User

I took German classes for six months when living in Switzerland, and occasionally have to try and speak a little in Berlin. I'm bad at it, but only because I never really use it in practice. It's a very logical language, certain letters together make specific sounds and there are NO exceptions - very structured, very German.

But there are the endless articles (die Wohnung, der Apfel, das Mädchen etc) (watch me have got them all wrong now...) which are a proper pain in the arse to get your head around. Then again verb conjugation is very easy. I find I can tell somebody "I lived a year in Switzerland working as an au pair, travelled, and studied for six months" but I don't actually know basic words like fork or plate, because you kind of don't learn that stuff in the classroom.

In summary, learn German, it's fun and not that difficult if you put the effort in.

24. Cécile

Cécile Shep's Classic 12"

And basic Russian isn't as difficult as one would think. You don't need to know that many words to form perfectly understandable sentences.

25. loomer

loomer User

French is one of the more difficult languages, I've read, which I was surprised at - at least among the Latin languages (this might not be true, I don't know).

But it's apparently full of turns and twists and inversions and things that defy logic (c'est l'âme française)… some things you just don't learn, all you can do is memorize them and go on.

But it's difficult in a good way, it's just that French invites deep thoughts and conversations full of figures of speech (metaphors, metonymies)… it's overwhelming. It's not direct, straight-to-the-point like English is, yet learning it is great fun.

French was the one I most wanted to learn, but I think I'll go with Spanish first.

26. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

I'm learning Portuguese at the moment.

BOM DIA! TUDO BEM?

27. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I'd love to learn Hebrew. Has anyone given it a go?

28. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Did you say non-Indo-European? Well you know what I'll say anyway.

Actually a Japanese know-it-all said to me last night that Chinese wasn't that bad because the sentence structure is very similar to English. You have to learn a fuckload of Kanji though.

Having now taught students from 15 to mid-60s, it does appear to get more difficult but not exponentially. The biggest point is that you need to fucking STUDY!

I'd casually learned Japanese for 4 or 5 years in an evening class, but I didn't put the hours in. Now I'm studying most days I'm improving a lot more, and more of it's sticking.

But my speaking is only so-so because I don't practice!

29. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

It's a Melodifestivalen thing. If you hear schlager queens belt out Swedish tunes often enough, you can pick up a few phrases very quickly.

30. Mats

Mats User

very nice

31. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

ARABIC

(Is Japanese the LANGUAGE OF BOTTOMS?)

32. Mats

Mats User

for natives, yes, and would thus be the ideal language for a top with a penchant for pert, tight bums to learn

whereas I reckon Arabic would be ideal for the bottom lusting for bushy and veiny uncut dom cocks

33. Eileen

Correct

34. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

What about someone who (for example) was looking for top/vers with a sizeable veiny member but not overly bushy in the pubic department (but absolutely not shaved either)?

What language should they learn?

35. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

Xhosa.

36. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

:D

37. Eileen

Amharic

38. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I've a language background but decided to start a beginner's class in a new one a couple of weeks ago and understandably it's geared to basic, social skills and I'm already feeling a bit bored and like I could plough on. I want old school learning, pages of verbs and never ending vocabulary lists that you are made go through every week or risk public humiliation.

39. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

OH HELLO :horny:

*bins French*

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  40. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

So somehow I have managed to sign myself up to start an Open University degree and I'll be studying Spanish and Italian. I could have chosen either French or German too, but I've studied both of those and German and I didn't get on very well for some reason.

I already know a fair bit of Spanish, I just hope that I don't confuse the two. Also, I've never studied with the Open University before, so not quite sure what to expect. I didn't have to pay for it though, so at least I am not losing anything if I don't like it, but I'm rather excited to start in October!