Let's all laugh at PROFOUND DICKHEAD David Cameron

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by funky, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter HAS BEEN

I'm not anti gay marriage at all but I'm not majorly fussed really. If that's what people want fine.
    I have to put up with this from the rubbish gay at work whose whole life is defined by the fact he is gay. I guess to me it's just one part of my life and excuse the pun I don't feel the need to ram it down someone's throat 24/7.
    I guess maybe I just see marriage as a holy union kinda god thing and that's not something I believe in at all.

2. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

You're confusing the feelings you have about how you want to live YOUR life with how society should be run though.

If you don't need the 'validation' of a gay marriage, don't get married. No-one's going to force you. But it's a HUGE leap from 'I don't want to get married' to 'I don't believe in gay marriage.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  3. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

It's not about defining your life through the prism of your sexuality, it's just about equal rights. That's it.

Feminists don't need to live their lives running around with unshaven pits quoting Germaine Greer to believe that they deserve all the same rights and opportunities as men.

4. funky

funky OH SHE’LL HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK

VOR you're getting a bit PREACHY

I don't think you should be telling Donna how he's confusing his feelings :D

5. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

I don't believe in gay marriage, I refer the honourable member to the post I made some time ago.

I'm just trying to understand why people are getting so EXERTED over something that doesn't really seem to have any PRACTICAL benefit over the present situation APART from 'equality'.

I can see why you'd care if you were of a religious persuasion and wanted to be MARRIED in the PRESENCE OF YOUR GOD, but that's a WHOLE OTHER KETTLE OF FISH

6. Shirley

I dare you to go up to my mother and say that :D

7. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I think what people take issue with is the separation. Like I said, the same but different (i.e. Civil Partnership) isn't equality.

It doesn't matter whether it matters to you. It matters whether it matters to someone for whom it matters. As long as a significant number of people want it and there's no moral or legal reason they should be denied it, why shouldn't they have it? Neither of you have given me a single convincing argument yet, just mealy mouthed bollocks that boils down to 'well it doesn't make any difference to ME...'

Sorry if that's PREACHY. :eyes:

8. Shirley

I didn't say anything about whether it makes any difference to ME when I started this

I just said that I don't think that people consider what marriage really IS when thinking about this (and I know I'm arguing on the side of all kinds of RELIGIOUS LOONS here)

THEY'VE GOT THAT AND WE WANT IT TOO IN THE NAME OF EQUALITY

9. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Marriage hasn't been an exclusively religious concern for decades though. If it was, atheists couldn't get married. Yes you could look into that and find a new term for anyone who doesn't believe in bearded immortals in Sandals, but isn't it easier just to accept that the meaning of Marriage has profoundly changed for the vast majority of people with or without the influence of queers, and give it to those who want it?

I don't buy that hetero-normative argument either. I know I'm labouring the same basic point but if you changed the 'why do gays even want it?' question to 'why do women/blacks/jews'even want it?' there wouldn't even be a discussion.

10. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

As a British citizen I find it intolerable that, in black and white, clearly set out in the legislation, parliament/the law/the Government/my country has denied me a right solely due to my sexuality. I don't know what a civil partnership is - it won't placate me.

I'm ashamed of the law the way it is, and I find it quite difficult to understand why anyone would believes in equality would be against amending the law.

It would be such a simple change too.

11. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

AT LAST some SENSE!

12. POP!

POP! Not unhinged or unhappy

Exactly. I view it in a similar way as I do to the abortion issue. If I were a woman I don't think I'd ever get an abortion personally (medical reasons aside) but I would definitely want other women to have the option to go through with it if they believed it was the optimal thing to do in their situation.

And ultimately the gay marriage isn't about marriage but about fundamental equal rights. Even if marriage isn't for you, we shouldn't have to pick and choose what rights we have.

13. COB

COB jumped up little prick

11 VoR
    [​IMG]

14. Shirley

I knew this would be CONTROVERSIAL :D

FORTUNATELY every one else KNOWS BEST as USUAL and can PUT ME RIGHT

Funny how OFTEN that happens

15. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I side with VoR and Madison on this. It's about equality for me. Nothing more or less.

16. lolly

A friend of a friend is anti it (and was anti civil partnership as well) purely on the grounds that he didn't want to be the same as 'the straights'. I think he thinks it takes the FUN out of being SEXUALLY DEVIANT.

Well, he protests our entitlement to have sex in public toilets in full view of anyone as a cultural homo right, in any case.

17. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

I MUST concur.

18. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

Even the STRAIGHTS have DOGGING these days.

19. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I'd just quite like to be able to get married should i want to really. And not 'civil partnered', because that's not actually a thing, is it. It's some shmolex type knock off that sets us out as a whole different group of people who need their own SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT, purely because we fancy our own gender.

That's not the right message to send out. What a load of backwards shit. If it has the same rights as a marriage then just call it that and stop segregating innit.

20. lolly

I think civil partnership is fair enough. It just should be opened up to heterosexual couples. And marriage opened up to homosexual ones.

21. funky

What came first, legal marriage or religious marriage? I actually have NO IDEA. I always saw marriage as a RELIGIOUS thing, but I guess that's what Catholicism does to you :| Maybe that's why it feels moot to me. I don't understand the FUSS, other than fighting the rhetoric of the hard right.

22. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Well, it's not a different kettle of fish at all, it's one of the exact reasons why marriage equality is so important. Why the hell shouldn't religious gays be able to get married? As has been said, it's about having the option.

I don't think the current situation is as awful as black segregation, for instance, but it's the same basic principle.

23. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Agreed.

24. TurnerPrize

That's fine by me, but i'm sure it'd just be the contrary straight couples going for it. "Oh it's not a marriage, it's a civil partnership."

25. lolly

I don't think that matters, if it was true. It's just giving them the choice that homosexual couples should also have.

26. TurnerPrize

APPARENTLY the main difference between a civil wedding and a civil partnership is that you don't get a courtesy title with the latter if your new spouse is a peer or a knight. So it'd be good for heterosexual anti-establishment types who've fallen in love with someone from the posher side of the tracks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/17/gay-marriage-civil-partnerships

27. Alex

Alex User

Oh Civil partnerships(PACS) are really popular in France, 95% are straight couples (THANKS WIKIPEDIA)
    I can't see why it would be any different over here? Most people who doi registry office weddings would probably switch?

SHould this thread be split do we think?

28. Madison

I can't see this particular Government letting straight couples enter into CPs - they would view it as discouraging marriage.

I can't understand CCHQ not pushing full ahead with gay marriage. It would surely do the Tories image much more good in the long run and I don't believe any of the influential Tory bigwigs are homophobes. Kratz - do you know what they're playing at?

29. Alex

Alex User

According to Lynne Featherstone

30. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Even Gideon Osbourne was saying gay marriage would still happen on the Andrew Marr show yesterday - also stressing the point that it's not 'save the economy' or 'gay marriage' as sole objectives. I think the media are as much to blame as anyone here.

31. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

I think the basic idea of marriage has been around for like EVER, long before organised religion anyway. So people trying to claim it as a Christian thing can stick it up their HOLY BOTTOMS

32. funky

I don't know who Lynn Featherstone is but I like her

In the meantime I see Cameron is doing the rounds trying to push the HUMILIATING local elections defeat back onto Labour by bringing up the economy again. NICE TRY DICKHEAD

33. Kate

Rebekah Brooks has revealed that Cameron used to send her text messages signed off with "LOL" until she informed him that it doesn't stand for "lots of love".

LOL LOL LOL

34. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

Sorry about you losing your job LOL

35. Tisch

Tisch Tizzy

"Iz it tru u hacked milly dowlers fone? LOL dave x x x"

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  36. Kate

ull find another job soon lol x

37. Commotion

Commotion User

There's also some issue with pension entitlements I think - a surviving husband or wife is allowed to avail of their dead partner's pension benefits, whereas as surviving civil partner isn't.

38. Madison

Presumably the heir to the throne can enter into a civil partnership with a papist and still be in the line of succession.

39. funky

:D

what a DICKHEAD

40. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

i love how the red tops are all "loads of brits admit to leaving their kids in the pub" kind of thing.

AS IF.

if it had been someone like JORDAN she'd have been HUNG from the rafters.