LGBTQIAPK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

What do we think about the constantly evolving acronym? WHEN I WAS YOUNG it was just LGB and while LGBT has been long accepted and LGBTQ is developing acceptance, what do we think of the all the extra letters? Are they essential to inclusiveness or just a load of old Tumblr inspired shit. There of course be multiple variants upon this one...

For reference they're:

Lesbian
    Gay
    Bisexual
    Transgender
    Queer
    Intersexual
    Asexual
    Pansexual
    Polygamous
    Kinkiness

2. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I think asexual should be removed. No-one's bloody asexual. They're just repressed or still recovering from a particularly friendly uncle getting handsy on Christmas

And KINKINESS?

3. Jætike

Jætike Gay horses eat hay

In my papers the use of LGBT+ is accepted as a catch all term

4. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

If you're going to include polygamous, then you might as well include MORMON

ameraal likes this.
  5. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Polygamy? Bollocks to that.

6. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I use LGBT, and I think LGBTQ is fine too. Anything beyond that seems a little OTT (polygamous? :D) but whatevs

I think LGBT+ is a good compromise - it doesn't look ridiculous and anyone can insert themselves in if they don't feel covered by the four main categories

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Get Well Soon

Why would Polygamy be there? I would think Polyamouros would be a better fit.

I think in the spirit of inclusion, anyone should be welcome to join.

8. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

We were discussing this at work today. Isn't pansexual just a tighter definition of bisexual for the modern ages?

9. Steptacular

Steptacular User

Why do we need the Q? How are queer and gay different?

10. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Doesn't that render it a bit meaningless, though? We used to have a LGBT group at work. The terms of reference stated that the STRAIGHT WHITE Head of Diversity could turn up to the meetings whenever she wanted. Naturally I made a scene and flounced out (after polishing off the sandwiches and crisps obviously)

It was all a load of tokenistic shit anyway so FUCK THAT

Alla, Penelope and Madison like this.
  11. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I really like queer and always prefer to self-define as such. Much better than whiny old gay with the LONG A

Alla and ameraal like this.
  12. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

We had training on this during my PGCE. Someone asked what the 'q' was in reference to and I said 'queer'. The tutor said that queer is more socially acceptable in the US and on the UK it refers to questioning.

But then I've seen queer used over here loads of times. I dunno

13. ameraal

ameraal la loi de murphy

i like queer. i can do without any of the rest.

i went to a party last night and i was walking down some steps with this really good looking friend and a guy came up to us and said: sorry if this is weird but my girlfriend and i were wondering if you guys are gay. she thinks you are and i think you're not.

it was rather weird and nothing like that had happened to me in a long time. though maybe the fact i'm sporting a moustache and was wearing a(n amazing rather 80s yellow and black) floral print windbreaker was to blame.

14. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Surely the whole thing about it is that weird sense of being separate while aiming for inclusiveness.

ameraal likes this.
  15. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Oh I'd forgotten about the Questioning thing, which I think is a bit ridiculous. Just replace it with CBT

COULD BE TEMPTED :horny:

Barnacle likes this.
  16. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

:disco:

17. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Questioning makes me think of:

Pipo and Zu-Klara like this.
  18. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

Kinkiness DEFINITELY has to go. You'll get any old permy flotsam and jetsam in a cardie who's read Fifty Shades Of Grey, bought the DIY box set off Amazon and wants to parade their whip marks and smacked bottie down the pub like some sort of badge of honour

Also, what on earth are the limits? Family fun? DOGS?

19. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Someone asked me that curious question which I never know the answer to: do you want be accepted by acting 'normally' e.g. playing up to heteronormative ideals or do you want to be accepted as QUEER.

I'll take a bit of both please.

20. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

It's dodgy ground, but then you go to Pride and it's open fetish season. There is a sense of the big gay family breaking down, yet some desperately are trying to keep it alive by adding sub sections

21. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

I don't understand the kinkiness inclusion. Surely someone who is kinky fits into one of the other categories anyway?

It's like breaking gay into sub sections like vanilla, anal, fisting etc. I don't really see it as an identity. Unless it means you do it with animals and stuff.

22. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I think that the sub-section thing is breaking it down more than ever before. I used to feel much more a part of it than I do now, and I don't think it's just an age thing. It's going slightly off-topic in terms of the LGBT etc. but I look at the physical self-definition categories on Growlr ET AL and it's exclusion central

*glues hair to chest*

23. octophone

octophone The Electrocutioner

My experience is fairly limited but has consistently been that LGBT is a small l, a planet sized g, no b and the smallest t they can get away with without losing their funding. I'm not a member of any such organization at the moment, even tho' my employer is colossally proud of theirs and has "reminded" me of its existence several times. Thanks love but if I'm going to expend my energy, it'll be on something with a bit of force and a politic, not a social club who stand on a float once a year and do FUCK ALL ELSE.

24. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I'd say LGBT+ has gone beyond just a Pride float and entered general vocabulary as an all encompassing term for a movement.

25. octophone

I think that's probably true. I'd just be looking for a bit more bang for my buck if I was going to join a club, that's all.

26. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

:D Which rather brings THIS to mind. Is that SARA COX?

I'm trying to decide whether the internet is WORSE or BETTER. It's certainly a BIT LESS DEAR

27. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam Not Lana Del Rey

I think LGBT+ or LGBTQ is fine really. Queer seems like enough of a catch-all term to make the whole letter business irrelevant however.

I think most identities are valid, and who am I to say otherwise, but I have a friend who identifies as 'demisexual'. Apparently that means 'someone who is only attracted to people once they've got to know them'. That's not a sexuality, it's being CONSERVATIVE.

Also people who throw an A in there standing for 'Ally' are cunts.

28. Penelope

Penelope SMIRKING LESBIAN MOON

QUILTBAG is the parody catch-all abbreviation of choice :hitler:

Anyway I like queer but mostly because it covers my general non-sexual deviancy quite well too so WHY NOT

29. KindaCool

KindaCool Kick Rocks. Eat dirt.

Question is what's the next likely letter to be? There seems to be a new category every year, when we should kinda be avoiding that. Sometimes I wish it would just be called the Non-Hetero community or something.

30. straightorbroken

straightorbroken rebel heart

All T, no Q.

I just really hope that, rather than extended acronyms, schools naturally teach using open ended ideologies with regards to gender identity and sexuality. For example, I always resented standing in separate lines in the playground - there's no need for crap like that. Don't tell me I have to do something, be something, make me feel I have to behave in any way, simply because of my gender. It starts with the parents (who are mostly horrible people, let's face it), but schools do it so subtly as well.

Ag likes this.
  31. ButterTart

ButterTart Egg Custard Tart

Queer is more of an identity than a sexuality, isn't it? Polygamy and kinkiness are preferences you acquire, not something you're born with. I've never really understood why pansexual is different to bisexual, I've no idea what 'intersex' is, and should asexual really be classed as a sexuality when it's the ABSENCE of sexuality? It's like calling atheism a religion.

So in closing, LGBT seems fine to me. The other letters are there purely for the Tumblr generation who need as many labels as possible since for some reason they think it makes them interesting.

32. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Surely the only people excluded now are heterosexuals who only do it in the missionary position with the light off.

Alex likes this.
  33. octophone

Word. Appropriative af.

34. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I don't even know where to begin with this :zombie:

35. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

36. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock one of those "they/thems"

Bisexual is a limiting term in the sense that it indicates you like both men and women... doesn't include anyone whose gender identity is a little more complicated than that.

On the poly side of things, i've found it is actually becoming more prevalent. Some of my other half's friend's do things poly and I must admit that it makes me feel old-fashioned to want a traditional monogamous relationship.

I could never compromise on that front though. If you're not comfortable with it then you're not comfortable with it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  37. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Ok let's break this shit down...

Define "complicated gender". I understand trans. How many situations are you likely to fall for a trans person? I would assume most people are not surrounded by trans folk and the opportunities are limited. Therefore to an extent surely pansexual is very much a creation for those in super liberal urban environments who consciously (or otherwise) surround themselves with trans people. It's tries so hard to be inclusive, it ends being almost entirely non inclusive.

monsta likes this.
  38. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

These are[​IMG] though. It's almost offensive that they should be bracketed with sexualities that were never our decision.

Zu-Klara and monsta like this.
  39. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Next paedophiles and those who fuck Alsatians will be wanting included in that motley crew!!!!

40. Mugatu

Mugatu onlyfans.com/mugatu

LGBT+ works as a catchall but I wouldn't begrudge anyone primarily defining themselves as pansexual/asexual/poly/etc. I erm... "avoid labels" but if that self-definition helps some people out then they should go ahead.

Barnacle and COB like this.