Little Big Planet

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by WiDGe->, Jan 10, 2008.

1. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Bit of a preview:

CES 2008: LittleBigPlanet Hands-On
    Media Molecule's marvel continues to impress.
    by Charles Onyett

US, January 9, 2008 - At a show without much of a focus on gaming, it was surprising to see Sony show off one of their heavy hitters for 2008, Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet (LBP). While Sony has published some great games for their system like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank, neither of those games really seem to have the staying power that LBP is poised to offer. Such value in lasting appeal draws from the game's extensive and versatile user modding support, letting players create their own stages to pilot cutesy, fuzzy characters through with 2D platforming mechanics.

This time around we got to see a few new things in LBP, mainly deadly traps and how the game handles death. In a stage titles Indian Hot Spice, we and a Sony rep hopped around in a sort of Wild West 2D environment, bounding over chasms and ducking under moving platforms riffed with searing hot coal. With one touch the coals kill your fluffy character, sending them hopping off the screen like a ringless Sonic the Hedgehog on spikes. The stage was decked out with frequent checkpoints, little rings of light, which allowed for the defeated character to return to the action.

[​IMG]

Hazards in the stage never got too complicated. It was basically just a bunch of moving platforms with coals on one side that you had to time jumps or runs to avoid. We did manage to die quite a bit, however, as did the Sony rep, which gave us time to check out the real-time clothing swapping options. Hitting square pops up a UI over your character's head that lists options for changing appearance and level modding. Since we were already in a level, we couldn't access any of the build tools, but could outfit our little avatar with bike helmets, sun dresses, different kinds of eyes, various glasses, shirts, and all sorts of other stuff. It didn't really affect any of the gameplay, but it was still fun to play around with. Overall it wasn't anything all that surprising – there weren't any really interesting kinds of physics-based puzzles or something like that.

Anyway, the meat of the game seems to be with the creation tools, which seem to be very well designed. Basically, anything you think you should be able to do, you can. Well, that's probably not true, but many things you think you should be able to do, it seems you can. We didn't actually get to use the tools, but watched as the Sony rep built a forest out of nothing. When first entering into the creator you get to select a background, which you can apparently import your own pictures to. Then it's only a matter of what you want to create.

By selecting the item from the build menu, things started off with a simple square on the ground, textured to look something like bark. But, as most people know, tree trunks aren't squarish in profile, they're more rectangular. Thankfully LBP has a handy erase tool that can be scaled to any size in quite a range of shapes to alter whatever shape you're working with, and easily cut the square down to a rectangle. Then with only a button press you can copy the shape and paste it, resize the pasted shape, then merge it with the original rectangle in whatever orientation you wish.

For the purposes of the demo, the original rectangle was pasted twice, resized into smaller rectangles, and merged with the top of the vertically oriented original to form a shape something like that of a necktie as it disappears under a shirt collar. With this new shape it's yet again possible to resize it, reorient it, or even adjust it's depth. The 2D plane isn't strictly 2D, you see, there's a little bit of room to move back and forth, sort of like in a thin fishtank. This adds yet another layer into the puzzle / platforming elements of the game.

Once the rectangle shape was pasted a few more times until the Y shape looked like it had fireworks shooting out its top. Then from menu list and leaf shapes were selected and pasted onto the tree, which could be inverted and oriented to whatever angle you wanted. The shape now resembled a rudimentary tree, and even this, with different kinds of objects and shapes all merged together, can be resized and flipped around however you want. Since a forest was being created, the tree was copied and pasted a few times and set end to end across the screen.

The demo was running in a debug mode, but when the real game ships in the fall of 2008, there will apparently be a limiting factor when determining what you can put in your level. As of right now it's called fluff, which is collected by running over little glowing orbs in the stages included with the game. This shouldn't be a severely limiting factor, says Sony, as each item placed in your created stage should be fairly cheap. In fact, the currency known as fluff may not even be called that when the game eventually ships, so we'll have to wait and see how this system develops as the ship date approaches.

You'll also need to complete the stages included with the game, which can be done with up to four players co-operative online or locally, to unlock new objects to place in your custom stages. This way the player is encouraged to explore what Media Molecule included with the game and through that experience expand their own range of possibilities in the level editor.

When you finally complete a stage, it's time to publish it live so others can try it out. There are some limits on what can become available to the public, however. First, your stage actually has to have an ending. You can't create an impossible stage and make it available online, despite whatever devilish urge you may have to do so. Obscene or inappropriate pictures will also not be allowed into the online space

[​IMG]

After finally creating a stage that avoids those pitfalls, it goes online and can be tested out by others. One of the potential benefits of this, aside from expanding the range of user-generated content online for others to try, is that the people that play your modded stage can rank it. The better the rank, the higher it moves in the list of best user-generated content, and therefore its popularity grows. There's a visual representation for this as well, as a more popular stage will grow in physical size on a "planet browser," which is basically a sphere with discs all over it with each disc representing a stage.

People who play these kinds of maps will be able to directly message the creator, which can lead to personal messages and friend requests; basically an easy means to grow your social network on PS3 and share building techniques with others. It'll also track how long a stage has been available, the total number of people who've played it, and how many of them reacted favorably.

In terms of post-launch support, players can expect to be given free content, or will have to pay for larger updates. For instance, if an update includes a few new backgrounds, it would likely be free. If it includes an entirely new build kit, a few stages made from the build kit, and a variety of others items, it'll likely only be available after you've forked over some cash.

Finally, there's the character emotes, triggered with the D-pad. Hitting up, down, left, or right will instill your fuzzy avatar with happiness, sadness, fear, and angry. These come in varying degrees, with slight smiles, beaming smiles, and a ridiculous display of joviality. The same goes for the rest of the emotions including sadness, the most extreme stage of which the Sony rep described as mimicking the emotion of "the end of Old Yeller."

If you've been following this game you already know about its potential and appeal, but if this information is new to you, don't let this one out of your sight.

2. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

<object width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayer"><param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/27098" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/27098" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="418" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>

plus some previews here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=195107

3. Crash

Crash Thank You

Its one of the main reasons im going to GET a PS3

4. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

5. Samuel

Samuel User

I'm looking forward to HOME but I'm sort of failing to understand it's point, I don't particularly want to wander round aimlessly talking to fat, old men who are probably trying to remove bloody Wotsits from their pubes. I need some kind of order otherwise it's going to get a bit boring.

6. Crash

Crash Thank You

Yeah I mean it sounds alright but its something Id like for a day and then never bother touching again. Call me OLD SKOOL but ill just play my games thanks.

7. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

8. Mats

Mats User

Awww it's too cute

9. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Pre-ordered from Play... you get the Nariko sackgirl to download from there!
    Dunno who is doing Kratos but I like Nariko the best.

10. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I'm still not convinced. If the pre-made levels are corking, it'll be a winner for me. I'm not interested in the slightest in making my own stuff, particularly as the developer has said it would take a weekend to make something slightly decent.

Still, it's going to be an interesting one. Home, on the other hand, can go take a running jump...

11. Samuel

Samuel User

PARDON? A weekend for a SIMPLE level? FUCK THAT!

I've got no patience with stuff like this, if it's not all done for me, it'll never get done. Will still give this a go though because it looks brilliant.

12. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Some info:

Some nice info ripped from Edge mag by someone on the LittleBigPlanet Guide website forums ... link

* If you want text in your level somewhere, you just open the Popit, select a mouth, and stick it wherever it's needed, and add your text. So you can use this for hint boxes, stories, cut-scenes etc.

* Adding music you add a music box. There was some confusion about music and sound editing possibilities from the E3 coverage, but this seems to be how it is according to Edge: the options on music boxes are to control the song, the audible range, and the volume level of each of the instruments in the music. However, you can also have music boxes that just play a given sound effect. For example, Edge describes granite whoopy cushions that sound a fart when jumped on.

* Scripting is object based too. As Edge says, this is where LBP could have risked losing a lot of players - "the boss battle where people get stuck on and just give up". But, they say, it's not - it's simple stuff that can let you trigger enemy attacks, locked door behavior or NPC behavior. Switches are the main object for scripting. They give an example of a basic Zelda style puzzle made in 15 seconds - a switch tied to a motor. Flip the switch and motor can raise a locked door.
    However, there's more kinds of switches than just manual. Motion sensitive ones can act like more conventional passive triggers. E.g. you could have an enemy drop down from the sky when you pass a point - all this behavior control by cogs and pistons linked to the switch.

* There's a lock-and-key switch based on stickers. Use the right sticker(s) to flip the switch.

* There's magnetic switches. Which is totally new to me. You have a pair of switches that can be split between two objects. The switch only triggers when they're brought together. As Edge says: "in a single move, the colour-coded keys and gateways of Gauntlet and a hundred other RPGs are suddenly brought within reach".

* The mechanism for chaining levels together is also revealed - keys. When you build a level, a key for that level is added to your inventory. If you want to link that level to another you're building, just place the key at the end, and players will be warped from one to another. The capability opened by this is pretty great also, in that it needn't just be warping players from the end of one level to the beginning of the next. You could have worlds of multiple depth..e.g. have a key to a doorway of a house, to warp your players to another level representing the inside of the house.

13. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

There are some bloody clever people in this world. Ever played CounterStrike (the long standing most played online game until WoW came along) or Day Of Defeat? Player made mods of HalfLife2.

Current icon Braid on the 360? Again just one guy behind that.

Some of the player content is going to be amazing. Of course the main guys 50 levels should be awesome too.

Lots of the feedback from journos about Home is really positive. I like stuff like having a Buzz studio there so you can go play quiz games with people, arcades machines with retro games on, being able to access levels of games like Uncharted etc so you can plan strategy before playing it. All good stuff.

Plus look forward to the 360 update where the blades are getting replaced with Miis... I mean avatars, and a vaguely Home-lite interface is getting introduced... and what seems like an attempt at the PS3 XMB too.

14. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

As I said, 50 pre-done levels, whatever people make... I think guest developers are going to be brought in to do levels. Bring on Metal Gear Sackboy by Kojima I say! :D

15. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I've been playing this for the last three days and its amazing. Only given 4 demo levels and they're excellent!

Aside from that I spent all of friday developing a co-op jetpack orb collecting battle game. Which is a right laugh!

16. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

It does sound good from all the feedback from the people who got into the beta. Did you get your key from Eurogamer? I hear the Stephen Fry voiceover is pretty ace.

Consider my interest officially PIQUED.

17. Mats

Mats User

OOH

You're so lucky Widge. But will this game sell to the masses? Isn't it a tad too weird?

18. Mats

Mats User

Btw I so wanna try that Braid game on the box but I can't be arsed to turn it on. It annoys me.

19. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

The main game is just classic platform action. Quite tough because of the real physics engine, but you adapt. Its not like Mario where inertia and gravity etc aren't correctly applied.

The style of the thing is amazing, it really stands out amongst the crowd. Especially where Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Banjo Kazooie etc ALL look like they have come out of the same generic platformer creation engine.

There are some quirks to the engine but apparently this is a very old build that we are playing. Looking forward to eventually getting in and creating an entire story based level set.

Basically this is the beginning of a bumper season of games. I'm secretly hoping things turn out to be SHIT, just so it saves me money. Naruto Ninja Storm is the latest one that keeps shaping up to be alright.

I may have to back burner a load of stuff to save money. I'm getting LBP, Bioshock because its cheap, Mirrors Edge & Motorstorm 2 because they come with Tshirts, Eternal Sonata and Valkyrie Profile because I WANT RPGs. Outside of that you've got things like Fallout 3 (will it or won't it be good?), RFOM2, Heavy Rain, GOW3, Farcry 2 .... all stacking up in the interesting pile. Argh.

All this and I just got Burnout Paradise so that is soaking up my time. Oh and I got Fifa for £26 from Tesco. Maaaah.

20. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

It looks great and quirky but it's far too offbeat for the masses. I don't know what the main game plays like but it seems like a fun-ish early Mario clone to be honest.

The "create" part looks devilishly complicated and time consuming though. I watched a video yesterday where they were demonstrating how to use sounds in your own levels. All very clever but it all took SUCH a long time to do.

21. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Ok, apologies for the page format FUCK UP, but I posted this somewhere else in massive o vision. Took this poor quality photo of a co-op battling jetpack game I made!

[​IMG]

This took one morning to make and afternoon to perfect. You fly around the level avoiding the hazards, collecting the score spheres. Your friends can knock you off your jetpack and stuff. After a minute the floor dissolves, it floods with bombs knocking all of you off your jetpacks and down to the finish point where it decides who is the winner based on score.

It is shockingly easy to make a level on this, although you really need to play through the main game to get inspiration for actual structure (how to approach the 2.5D levels etc). I've had a idea for a game where you will go into a haunted mine via a mine shaft, lots of story elements etc. In fact I've got some wonderful ideas.

Its not like Mario at all, the movement and physics are too realistic. No gravity defying leaps or such stuff. Absolute jape though, the online is seamless.

22. Mats

Mats User

I am so with you on that list of games to buy, widge.

No Christmas pressies for the family this year...

23. DrEAmFish

DrEAmFish User

this game is NOT for me

24. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Now delayed by up to 3 weeks because 30 seconds of music is taken from the Koran which has got some people up in arms. Every single retail copy out there is being shipped back to Sony & pulped :o

The lyrics are:
    Here's the music clip if you want to hear it.

Here's the BBC's take on the whole thing.

Sony must be hacked off to high heaven with all this - and the developers must be shitting their pants. Still, this almighty balls up getting them mainstream public attention I guess...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  25. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

And the plot thickens... the song in question has been around for a couple of years and is available to buy on iTunes!

Tricky one this. The lyrics are clearly not in line with the mood of the game but I can't help but feel that this is a huge overreaction on their part. Surely a mandatory Day 1 patch would have sufficed rather than a full scale recall like this? Offline PS3s could have been patched with a CD you'd pick up from the store you bought your game from.

26. Slave

Slave User

It's a complete kneejerk over-reaction, I can't help but feel that the Sony of a few years ago (i.e. when the PS2 was going full-pelt) wouldn't have given a damn but it seems they're really relying on this game as a console-seller.

Of course, the publicity is good for it and it just pushes the demand further into the Christmas market so it's almost guaranteed high visibility amongst the Wii Music's, FIFA, Pro Evo's, etc.

27. Crash

Crash Thank You

Complete overreaction and especially as MediaMolecule already made a Day 1 patch for the game, but Sony wanted to take it further.

I've been waiting to see what would be a good introduction for me to the PS3, and I just saw a bundle with LittleBigPlanet for free, so that seems to the choice for me. Christmas present list here we come.

28. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Well gives me enough time to get through Bioshock. I should have Eternal Sonata arriving from America this week and Valkyria Chronicles next week. A wee pause will be welcome!

Don't reckon I'll trophy whore on Bioshock.

STILL got a shitload of games to go through. Ratchet & Clank, RFOM1, Motorstorm, Oblivion, Burnout, Wipeout, Siren etc all sitting at uncompleted.

29. Mats

Mats User

I am so tired of muslims and their overreacting.

Widge, have you got a gold trophy from Wipeout yet? It seems to me that it's completely impossible.

30. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Nah, I've not really dived into recently with Bioshock on the go!

31. Mats

Mats User

Do you like it? I am so depressed because I am very low on money so I don't know how to pay for Fallout.

Btw what's wrong with Sony? People were upset about the cathedral in Resistance as well but they gave shit about that.

32. NonEvent

NonEvent User

First level of Super Mario Bros.

<embed src="http://rd3.videos.sapo.pt/play?file=http://rd3.videos.sapo.pt/503JMiMMywBGS3bqLK9v/mov/1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="322"></embed>

33. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Trying to make stuff like Mario in LBP doesn't really work...

This is fooking clever:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wg0ZBHdz7wM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wg0ZBHdz7wM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l8THIEAdlpk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l8THIEAdlpk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you want to see stuff, there is a level called The Heist which was popular from the Beta:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPuW1Bcgh-w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GPuW1Bcgh-w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

34. Slave

Slave User

My copy arrived today (say what you like about Game as a high street retailer, but I think their online pre-order and delivery service is still the best there is).

But er, I haven't opened it yet.

It's odd, are Sony just not bothering to promote anything anymore?

35. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Hoping this appears today. I know Play sent it out on Monday.

Game are excellent. Bioshock and Valkyria Chronicles both arrived a day early.

May I also recommend videogamesplus in Canada. Great for pre-orders and games that don't require online servers and DLC (nothing worse than finding yourself locked to the US region for that). £32 for Eternal Sonata, turned up about 5 days after release (Tuesdays in the US, I got it on Saturday).

They are not as fast as Movietyme but fook me they are a hell of a lot more reliable.

36. Slave

Slave User

Hmm...

I've played the first level. Interesting concept but there's no way this is THE game to save the PS3.

I mean, I can't get (reliably) online with the game at the moment and I'm not sure I really have any interest in designing my own levels. So what I'm being told from various sources is that these are the best parts - when someone starts paying me to design levels, that's when I'll spend time doing it.

37. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I agree. It looks cute but I think it's pretty hardcore beneath that fluffy exterior. I haven't played it yet but the videos aren't grabbing me. The jumping looks incredibly floaty and the whole moving in and out of the screen looks like a bit of an irritant. I'm looking forward to having a crack though, it does look very unique.

It's sold 52k copies in Japan in its first week putting it in third place (the top game sold 135k) - it'll be interesting to see what happens next week.

38. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I have this now! Never played something that makes me feel so cheery!
    Online is good and I've had a go at some shit trophy whore levels, and some really well designed levels by users.
    Dev levels are excellent.

The 135k game was PS3 GTA4.

39. Slave

Slave User

Once you're in story mode, can you get back out of it? When I load the game and select the little PS3 controller shaped control pad it takes me to the story mode and won't let me move around any further. I'm sure I saw other stuff to do before I commenced.

Besides that, the backwards/forwards thing is REALLY annoying at times when you don't jump where you intend to - if you are trying to jump onto something in the background like a cube block, you can push up and still jump around it. Needs fixing, stat.

40. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Press Circle to go back?

I've not had any problems with the plane shifting apart from poorly designed user levels.

You can only go to "your moon" once you complete the Garden levels.

Have I added you btw? Slap Narcotize in if you want.

I've made my people some nifty costumes! I've got some guy with an elizebethan costume on but its MADLY brightly coloured thanks to the sticker I slapped on it, plus he has SHINING gold hair! :D