Little Boots: Hands

Discussion in 'Pop' started by ameraal, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ameraal

ameraal trash

so here it is - over a year in the making after the huge initial internet buzz, followed by the almighty "how do we market her" and la roux seemingly stealing the show in the final sprint

Tracklisting

"New in Town"
    "Earthquake"
    "Stuck on Repeat"
    "Click"
    "Remedy"
    "Meddle"
    "Ghosts"
    "Mathematics"
    "Symmetry" (with Philip Oakey)
    "Tune into My Heart"
    "Hearts Collide"
    "No Brakes"

2. ameraal

ameraal trash

i must say i'm mightily confused by this record - it feels like a compilation on one hand and i know half the songs intimately to an extent they feel quite stale now

and anyway WHO is little boots? just a few months ago she was touring with heartbreak and today she's bloody sophie ellis bextor?

at any rate some of the new songs are nice - symmetry is easily a standout, hearts collide is the other that i quite like

stuck on repeat however has been utterly ruined

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  3. henZ

henZ do you love it?

Did it leak properly yet? I can only find the webrip and there is no way in hell I am listening to that.

4. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

It all appears to have gone TITS UP.

I hope those rumours of a £500k spend on this "campaign" to date are not true for her sake.

5. henZ

henZ do you love it?

Oh :( Who would have thought that she would be beaten by a lesbian

6. Krust

Krust User

Now I like Hearbreak but I don't get how they are considered so cool - they could cover Modern Talking records and no one would notice.

Need to listen to this record though "stuck on repeat" not in full lenght original form is a crime!

7. ameraal

ameraal trash

hearbreak are cooler than cool really

but it's not about the cool factor - it's about what type of artist you are, obviously she came from blogworld and anyone would want to naturally progress to a wider audience, but i think she's made far too many compromises for it

point at hand stuck in repeat is now down from 7 minutes to 3, it's not even 5, i mean these days britney puts 5 minute songs on her album

and who's the caps fascist, colonphile moderator?

8. ameraal

ameraal trash

ironically this week last.fm's most listened to boots tracks are:

1 Stuck on Repeat 4,029
    2 Meddle full track 3,120
    3 New In Town 2,011

BREAKTHROUGH DEBUT SINGLE ALERT!

9. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I really can't see the point of them hacking it down so much (never mind the horrible new vocals - I take it that it is the radio edit that was about earlier this year that is on the album), especially considering she has said that they don't see it as a single. It is hardly that experimental anyway.

I'm still looking forward to the album lots, but I'm trying to wait for the CD to pop through my door.

10. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I don't think I've ever seen a hyped artist get fucked up SO BADLY by a clueless record company. I'm so glad I didn't get into her sooner, I'd have spontaneously combusted if I actually cared about her.

"Oh this girl is getting hyped left right and centre for her quirky electro sound. Let's not release anything for a year while we make her sound exactly the same as everybody else".

11. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I got excited and thought it had leaked then :(
    500k? On WHAT exactly? The promo has been dire!

12. FetchFugly

It is like everything that record label touches turns to poo.

I fear for the lovely Marina too...

That said, from Boots says, she seems to have been convinced herself that New In Town was the right choice.

13. JET BOY

JET BOY PERVERSE

The album is streaming on her myspace at the moment, I have a few things to add

a.) Remedy isn't as good as it thinks it is, I found it rather bland personally. I really hope Earthquake isn't dumped as the second single in place of Remedy as listening to the album Earthquake sounds like the standout track with its slight retweaking.
    b.) WHY OH WHY have they not put the full version of Stuck On Repeat on the album? I mean JESUS CHRIST. Without that track she wouldn't even have an album out at the moment. If they really had to include the dreadful butchered album version they could have at least included the full length original as a bonus track.
    c.) The Phil Oakey track is good.
    d.) Is Mathematics EXACTLY THE SAME as the version we have had for months already? Not impressed. I am hoping they have just kept the original demo on her myspace as they don't want to lose the playcount, and that the version on the album is the live version she plays but studio recorded (ie. a version with a RIDICULOUS SPAZZY INSTRUMENTAL BREAKDOWN) I do not hold out much hope for this however.
    e.) The album certainly tails off towards the end.

I have to say I am disappointed. Some of the best tracks aren't fresh to me so I imagine I would feel a bit differently had I heard this album entirely new, but like others have already said, it does feel a bit like the reasons I liked her in the first place have been sucked out of her now she is signed and being launched. I don't blame her, I think its her dreadful label 679, who to my knowledge don't have any experience of an act like Boots previous, unless you count Annie, and she was hardly a high profile launch.

I did chuckle today however when I saw that they have decided to place a GIAGANTIC billboard for the Boots album right opposite Iceland in Hackney Central. Aside from myself who in Hackney is the Little Boots album meant to appeal to? The population is about 70% Nigerean, I doubt they give a flying fig about Little Boots. Should have put it a couple of miles down the road in Bethnal Green/Shoreditch, silly label.

14. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I quite enjoyed the album when i played it earlier, but was also dying my new mate's hair at the time so was full of fumes and not giving it top priority.

It hit me on the train this morning that Little Boots might be too nicey nice to succeed in these Troubled Times (TM). La Roux on the other hand comes across as a bit of a cunt and sings about going in for the kill and being bulletproof and the like. I really like both of their output (that i've heard) a lot, but am instantly more interested in La Roux since she seems more exciting.

15. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I'm still VERY EXCITED about this...but hearing that they haven't got the full "Stuck On Repeat" on there has UPSET ME

Though I actually QUITE LIKE the single edit...

16. Suedey

Suedey Mmmm yes.

Well if it's a case of "In for the Kill" vs "New in Town" then I'm team La Roux all the way.

17. JET BOY

JET BOY PERVERSE

Can I just add that I'm not actually against Little Boots at all, I still love her to bits, and it is a very good pop album (although as I said, to my ears not particularly fresh anymore) - anybody that has discovered Little Boots through New In Town is going to have a treat with the album, as a good 80% of it is pretty/very solid stuff, my general negativity towards her at the moment is mainly at how the campaign has worked out. Easy to bitch about I know, but for an act that has used the internet so much to get where she is and promote herself, it seems a bit stupid that they seem to have ignored any words of advice or goodwill people online (not just forums, music blogs too) have suggested towards the campaign entirely.

I think "Magical" should be on the album too, it could do with a slinky disco number to close the album. The current closing track is very much an anticlimax (Its probably the worst song on the album). If not Magical then the epic full length Stuck On Repeat would make the absolutely ideal closing track, I don't understand how her label could not see this.

18. Sheena

I don't think I HAVE "Magical"

Can you SUPPLY if it's not on the album ?

19. ameraal

ameraal trash

i think the album's ace, i'm just disappointed because it should've been better
    she just ended up trying to pander to everyone

i love new in town, BUT the lyric in the chorus is unforgivable
    as is the horrendous video

jake nava directing a little boots video?

20. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

My copy arrived today :D

I've listened to most of the tracks that have been floating around, but not more than a couple of times each, so I'm hoping my enthusiasm won't be dampened like some.

21. FetchFugly

I see that they are using Stuck On Repeat to lead the tv ads for the album, before the expected bit of the New In Town video.

Was hoping my copy might be here today, but it will hopefully arrive on Monday.

22. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

Mine arrived today - CD and vinyl :disco:

I'm going to give it my full attention later.

23. Sheena

How annoying that mine hasn't appeared :evil: BLOODY Play.com

I repeat..."Magical" anyone ?

24. FetchFugly

I'll do it now.

25. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

Lucky sod. Play.com, yes? They sometimes do send out early with pre-orders, just NEVER for me.

Does anyone know if Amazon send out pre-ordered CDs so that they'll arrive roughly on the release date or will I be waiting a further few days after for this?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  26. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I really enjoy this album, though it does feel oddly bubble gum and pedestrian (goodness knows why this surprises me).

I am very happy with Remedy for single number two. I absoshittinglutely love it. If i was in charge of Little Boots i'd have Earthquake as single number two (though i might rename it, since knowing my luck there'd be a massive earthquake killing millions in spain or somewhere on the day of release, and radio would drop it). Then i would wheel out the original six minute Stuck on Repeat as single 4.

27. Samuel

Samuel User

If you paid for Express Delivery or 1st Class then you'll definitely have it by Monday, if it was just Standard Delivery you'll probably get it by Monday but I wouldn't place all your bets on it coming then.

28. lolly

I accidentally ordered Little Boots (and La Roux & Florence And The Machines, so the cost is split at least) first class instead of the usual free delivery. I did realise after I'd ordered it, but couldn't be bothered to go back, cancel and reorder them for that sake of a couple of quid.

At least I got this through today though. Hopefully the others will follow a similar pattern. The invoice is dated THURSDAY though. I assumed it would be yesterday.

29. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

No, from the Little Boots store, but I've always been very happy with Play - I almost always get albums the Saturday before release with them. :disco:

30. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Oooo! All the new songs are :disco:-tastic on first listen! I LOVE Remedy & Symmetry!

31. jonhawk

jonhawk Bluffin' with my muffin

Anyone catch her at G-A-Y last night? I just happened to end up there and didn't even realise she was on! Was fantastic! What a performer!

32. lolly

I'm on my third listen now and I LOVE it. I'm pleased I held back on playing the tracks I already had to death, because they still sound fresh compared to the rest of the album. I'm getting a distinct whiff of Shakespear's Sister and other bits of electro-glam. 'Earthquake' and 'Remedy' are almost too :disco: for words.

33. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I think Remedy really should have been the first single. The 'heeeey's in the background of the 2nd part of the chorus are fab!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  34. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

New In Town falls 13-15 this week. Not too bad.

35. ameraal

ameraal trash

my final verdict is: PATCHY

08 New in Town
    09 Earthquake
    05 Stuck on Repeat
    10 Click
    08 Remedy
    05 Meddle
    05 Ghosts
    10 Mathematics
    09 Symmetry
    04 Tune into My Heart
    08 Hearts Collide
    04 No Brakes

i still love you, boots!

36. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I had a first play last night and I wasn't too impressed. The production was drab, her voice at times verged on the anonymous and some of the tunes were less than stellar. So far, this project is turning out to be a huge disappointment.

I'll be giving it a few more shots this week but so far it's falling well below expectations.

37. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

38. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

08 New in Town
    08 Earthquake
    09 Stuck on Repeat (taking into account the long version)
    07 Click
    10 Remedy
    06 Meddle
    07 Ghosts
    04 Mathematics
    09 Symmetry
    07 Tune into My Heart
    08 Hearts Collide
    07 No Brakes

SOLID

39. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!