LIVE - UK GENERAL ELECTION 2015 RESULTS

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Madison, May 7, 2015.

1. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Ok perhaps not rational, but JUST. It's the nasty party: rebooted.

Right wing fears are based on HATE (broadly), left wing fears are based on being HATED.

2. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Our post-election office debate turned into a marathon Charlotte Church's mother bitching session.

"How can she go on about caring for poor people after her parents treat all their staff like ABSOLUTE SHIT". "Her mother might have been working class once but she blimmin' swans around like she's bloody Lady Mary".

But "the left" whoever they may be do need to pick their battles. Any more riots where otherwise good natured students start throwing fire extinguishers off the top of tall buildings will really help the Tories.

3. Penelope

Penelope Look right for CALMING INFLUENCE

God I fucking loathe black bloc.

4. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Graffiting a war memorial is quite obviously of no help whatsoever. Sadly unlike the Greeks that kind of behaviour does inspire radical changes of government.

Left needs to stop being such a grimey word. Blair polished it up Brown, Brand, Miliband and others have done everything to take that shine away.

5. Indie

Indie Great Tits

Despite the Internet and social media being its (relative) infancy at the time, I'm sure I remember the right being JUST as ungracious in 2001/2005. Especially the stuff about percentage of electorate giving a mandate.

6. Indie

Indie Great Tits

Although not in a protesting in public way, admittedly. But then most Tory voters can't get out of their piss-ridden wheelchairs.

7. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The Cuntryside Alliance made an effort to get on people's nerves but probably more a case of posh people being told they're not allowed to do things any more rather than Tories burning down SureStart centres and PFI hospitals.

8. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I found the protests quite depressing tbh. I know the vast majority were protesting peacefully, but the aggression was a bit unsettling and lacking in perspective. Whether the government is on the right or the left, we've got it amazingly good in this country.

9. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Just watching Gogglebox and was reminded about UKIP family dad's decision to stand for UKIP.

He came third with nearly 7,000 votes, behind new Environment Secretary Amber Rudd.

That's all.

10. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

This "Labour voters are just sore losers" stuff is smug, satisfied, ignorant, selfish, uncaring Tory SHIT at its WORST. This is people's lives we're talking about, not a FUCKING football match. I'm not upset because "my team lost" or because I'm envious of wealthy people. I'm upset because I'm scared for the NHS, for our human rights, for people living below the poverty line, for the BBC, and most of all for my disabled brother who I am certain the Tories will do everything they possibly can to withdraw benefits from, leaving him incapable of leading an independent life and thereby even less likely to find work, WHICH HE WANTS TO DO BY THE WAY.

Fuck those smug cunts up the ARSE WITH A METAL CACTUS.

11. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

Having said that, I agree that these immediate frothing protest marches about nothing in particular are rather pointless. Regroup, wait for them to announce something awful, THEN get on it.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  12. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Exactly.

I do HEAR YOU, although I don't think the Tories are as bad as ALL THAT, but it'd make much more sense to protest proposed policies rather than the party. It makes them look irrational and thick, especially with CHARLOTTE CHURCH leading the charge.

13. Indie

Indie Great Tits

<3

14. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Quite right Kate. I worry for my disabled friend (you remember Clare don't you Indie) who I would assume is for a large income cut under the Tories. People at the so called bottom are actually scared for their lives. It's not the difference between having a large TV and molton brown hand wash, it's the difference between eating 8p Asda noodles for dinner or real food.

15. Indie

Indie Great Tits

How could I forget.

16. Mel

Mel User

I LOVE you Kate!!! To add: I have a friend who is facing being signed off work in a couple of years and becoming reliant on benefits due to progressive chronic pain despite continously studying and working (sometimes 95 hours in a week) helping abused & vunerable children & adults. This is devastating for her and I can only worry about how little she will get from this government.

17. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I think the protests are valuable. Why try to bring people together in months time when anger and discontent has subsided, when apathy has set in? If it was me, I would want to somehow harness this momentum and then start organising out of it to engage with the shitty things that they're already bringing in, or at least talking about it.

18. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Nothing WILL come of the protests at all- they are, at the end of the day, futile- we had anti-austerity etc marches last time, but they didn't work. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't do them, absolutely not! It's a voice...

19. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Protests and strikes can help to shit on a legacy IF ANYTHING.

20. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

I just think Cameron will be too busy riding high and smug on his win right now to take any notice whatsoever. He's been given a mandate - who cares what some plebs think.

21. Beverley

I totally agree. They won't give a shit, but I have to say, even *I* am tempted to go to London and a join the protest in a few weeks.

22. Mel

Mel User

YES! Even if this is the least we can achive then I am happy giving up my time, energy & money for this.

23. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Why should he take notice? His party were democratically elected for these policies. Would it be as awful if Labour ignored protests for greater austerity if they had been elected? Of course not. :eyes:

24. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

I'm just trying to imagine what "protests for greater austerity" would look like.

WHAT DO WE WANT? LESS MONEY! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW! Here, take my money... TAKE IT YOU BASTARDS

25. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

It would be populated by people who want more of a say in where their HARD EARNED TAXES (TM) are spent. Just like... the current protesters.

26. Beverley

Well democracy is an imperfect system so everybody has the right to have their say, again and again. Just because the Tories won doesn't mean that it wasn't at the expense of the scores of people that didn't vote at all, or voted for somebody else.

And I'm not saying he should be crucified for that. But nobody has the right to delegitimise the voices of people whom our government doesn't represent.

27. Beverley

Its not quite the same. There's a human cost to one which isn't replicated by the opposite scenario, necessarily/idealistically.

28. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

It just wouldn't happen!

29. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

TBH I just don't buy the hysterical view that Tories are somehow inherently evil and hellbent on pushing vulnerable people into poverty. What is their motivation? To make rich people richer and poor people poorer? How does this benefit them or the country as a whole? Do you REALLY believe they are all that awful and evil and immoral? The whole party? Cameron himself? I'm not even saying that mistakes aren't made and that people AREN'T pushed into poverty... I don't think anyone can really say for sure until they look at each individual case in isolation, but the response from some post-election has been so disproportionate. People live in poverty under all governments. I'm not saying we should just accept it and wash our hands of them, but there's not some magical fix for it. We should always strive for increased standards of living, and I believe all politicians, whatever their persuasion, ultimately want that. It's only my opinion and of course it's right that everyone gets to voice theirs. I just wish it was done in a slightly less black and white way sometimes.

30. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Oh my God.

31. Sheena

Robotboy is doing some SPECTACULAR work in these threads, isn't he!?

32. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Do we actually want a situation where not only do those in relative poverty grow, but they start slipping into absolute poverty, something which Tory policies don't seem to give a fuck about...? In a progressive world, poverty should disappear.

I have no idea why the Tories do the things they do. It's selfish politics, something I literally don't understand.

33. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I thought he was just trying to be balanced, but that last tirade was WHOLLY IGNORANT.

34. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Sorry for not towing the line.

OUT TORY SCUM.

I won't do it again. :(

35. Beverley

And I don't buy the hysterical responses.

I'm not interested in narratives of the Tories as evil scum. But there has been a clear human cost of the decisions of the previous government and that will undoubtedly continue with the measures that they have started pushing through. I'm not going to wheel out facts and figures, because even I am tired of statistics relating to food-banks and poverty, and you know them all already.

I don't care about the Tory agenda, although there clearly IS one. I do care about the impact that it has on our civil liberties, already deprived areas, already poor people. And I AM concerned that austerity isn't necessarily the right way.

36. Sheena

It's always had an undercurrent of the TRUE BLUE about it, I was just waiting for the VENEER to break

37. Sheena

I couldn't give a fuck about the party line at all. Do what you want, LOVE. Don't expect me to like it, though...

38. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Oh I know. Others have even suggested RACIST. Not me though.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  39. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

The problem with statistics is that there are always counter statistics. It's impossible to know who to believe, in my view.

40. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Oh here we go.

I'm racist now? Seriously?