lolly discovers Drag Race

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by lolly, Mar 26, 2017.

1. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I agree!

2. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I may have to rewatch season 6 now to delight myself with Adore again. What a disappointment.

3. lolly

Disappointed Roxxxy Andrews managed to cling on so long. Such a weak link in Read U Wrote U.

4. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

What I love about Roxxxxxy's verse (apart from it being so terrible that it's amazing) is that it sounds like it's been recorded on cassette in glorious 32kbps because they NEVER thought she'd get through. I recall reports at Christmas Queens when it was performed (sans Andrews) that they just completely took the piss out of her.

Just IMAGINE an Alyssa verse. We'd all have died from what would've been the greatest song of all time.

5. lolly

I'm looking forward to my Spotify generated most played tracks of 2017. I'm predicting high positions for Sissy That Walk, Read U Wrote U, Glamazon and Kitty Girl.

6. lolly

I'm genuinely enjoying pretty much ALL the Poundcake album as well.

7. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

To be honest, the worst thing about Roxxxy in Read U is not her verse but the fact the she, in her nude body suit, looked like a giant next to the dancers.

monsta likes this.
  8. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Fly Tonight and Born Naked (Stadium Mix) are both bangers too!

lolly likes this.
  9. lolly

This seems to be new, as a compilation at least.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Come to Brazil is an anthem.

Also I don't care for Alyssa Edwards.

11. lolly

Currently living for Gia Gunn and Stun :disco:

12. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

Katya
    Alaska
    Tatianna

The rest

Phoenix likes this.
  13. lolly

Oh and OF COURSE 'Slaytina'.

Although what's the story behind some of the names being mispronounced and others not?

14. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Fucking ROLASKATOX :zombie:

15. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I don't think there is one really, it's just very Alaska.

16. lolly

I think I may go back and read every moopy thread on AS2. I should have done it while I was watching it, really.

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  17. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

After a certain point I started to find Roxxxy's endurance psychologically fascinating to watch, as it was so little to do with her. It genuinely would have been better for her Ru-demption arc for her to go home an episode or two earlier, and I think her friends actually did her a massive disservice by allowing her to continue limping along. Watching her having to act grateful, but also act like she still thought she could win, despite the fact that she clearly knew that she couldn't, while also being extremely mindful not to come across like a bitch after her Season 5 edit was just so many balls to keep in the air. I'm surprised she didn't end up having a nervous breakdown. (Or maybe she did and that Read U Wrote U verse was the cry for help).

Penelope, COB and RaspberrySwirl like this.
  18. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

STUN!

It's the "feeling like pussy, feeling like cunt" bit I love the most.

Kind of obsessed with the season 9 NYC queens doing CLAT.

I haven't seen anything past episode 1 of season 9, my usual watering hole is dry, and I can't get UK or US Netflix anymore, they've grown wise to the region switcher tech... any ideas? I'm drowning in spoilers already

19. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I agree with this. She sort of admitted it herself in the reunion episode.

20. lolly

They should have given Katya the win over Alaska the week before, or was it two weeks?

That would have got rid of Roxxxy and made the final look a little less one sided.

21. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I think Roxxy said some interesting things about the whole thing, such as her awareness that she was being kept on in this way to force a dramatic breakdown/return to the cuntiness of Season 5 and she was just so determined not to give them that. Good on her.

22. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I know she was subject to a fair amount of backlash anyway, but she really played it so well compared to Phi Phi - and yes, despite Phi Phi's conspiracy theories I absolutely think it could have gone the same way for Roxxxy if she hadn't handled it as well as she did.

It also helps that she wasn't complete dead weight until the very end. Even when she was bombing the challenges she was giving very strong runway. You can see what people saw in her compared to Phi Phi - who looked like shit 90% of the time and never even came across as though Drag was a thing she actually enjoyed so much as it was something she'd decided she was good at and felt entitled to succeed in.

I've seen interviews with other Queens who (perhaps diplomatically) say Phi Phi puts on an amazing live show, but I absolutely didn't get that impression from either of her runs on RuPaul's Drag Race.

23. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I doubt it would have changed the top 3.

Also, Roxxxy's runway looks (which you can't deny her) were the equivalent to good lip syncing in an ordinary season.

24. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

TRUST the DUCHESS :disco:

It really is peak reality TV. All the twists, the perfect casting, the brilliant challenges. I'm with Sheena in that I still chuckle every time I think of Alyssa's face on the other side of that mirror. And this season really gives life to a ridiculous amount of brilliant catchphrases.

Expectations for AS3 are going to be absolutely impossible to exceed!

25. lolly

It wouldn't have changed the top 3, but it would have given us a better Read U Wrote U.

I wouldn't deny Roxxxy her runway looks. She was great at poise and polish, but for All Stars I want more. I think she deserved to be there, but if she'd left in 8th place I'd have felt she got what she deserved.

26. lolly

With AS2, did the casting leak (or was it even announced, I guess) before the first show?

27. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I knew nothing, which made every Saturday morning when the show became available all the more exciting! If it did leak, I wasn't aware of it.

I know lots of people have been complaining about how predictable Season 9 was, but they tend to be the ones who you then find out are glued to Reddit and are following every single queen on the show on Instagram.

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  28. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

The Reddit lot had figured out the AS2, actually. I'm sure dUb posted a list of suspected queens, and I think it was pretty spot on in the end.

29. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

This is so true. Right, @Phoenix ?

30. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

No, the only spoilers I read for season 9 were for the finale. Also I complain about the editing and quality of the show not about it being predictable.

31. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Alaska's ex (the one from the song) leaked the cast and many other things about a year before the show aired.

32. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

This show really made Alyssa even more fabulous than she already was. "I smell a STUNT" :D

She seemed to almost get the joke but not quite enough to make it self-conscious.

Suedey likes this.
  33. lolly

OMG

I learned today that Alaska is performing a 90 minute POUNDCAKE LIVE set here in under three weeks. Naturally I've phoned my dearest hag and booked tickets immediately.

Such is my level of obsession with Drag Race over the last few months, I've managed to convince myself this is a momentous visit from a global megastar, not a PA by a Little Mix video extra

:disco:

Penelope, Christian and Sheena like this.
  34. Ag

Ag User

An early series queen, whose name I forget is playing in Colchester no less later this month.

35. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Rebecca Glasscock?

36. Ag

Ag User

It was actually Jinkx Monsoon, who I do know and of course was neither early no long forgotten, rather the winner of season 5.

37. lolly

I'm seeing Jinkx in Bath later in the year. OBSESSED!

And Willam posted a photo of Bristol on his instagram following his Pride appearance with Sharon Needles at the weekend. It made me QUITE GIDDY WITH EXCITEMENT.

38. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I saw Jinkx live last year. TREMENDOUS! :disco:

39. lolly

Was it the Vaudevillians show?

40. Rula Lenska

Rula Lenska User

I'll be seeing Jinkx twice this year. There's Hocum Pokum in October then The Vaudevillians in December.