London Skyline 2012 (and beyond)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by funky, Jul 18, 2007.

1. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Sorry for all those how have no interest in geeky things such as skyscrapers but I've got a FETISH for URBAN DEVELOPMENT

Anyway I stumbled upon these images, the first being a shot of London today and the second a prototype of London in 2012.

What do you THINK - nice enough to invite the world into our homes for the Olympics? Let's face it, the current skyline isn't very impressive so change is good...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Oh no I love stuff like this... These are the suppossed future looks for the City...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FUTURAMA!

3. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I'd hoped some of those council blocks would have been knocked down by then :(

4. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Not sure if I like the GAP in the middle... Can't they demolish the Bank of England or something... We have to resign ourselves to the fact the future is UP...

5. cwej

cwej User

I like them but they're too WIDE

6. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

So Vauxhall is being built up as well? I know Canary Wharf is gonna be... We'll have TOO MANY economic centres... ALMOST

7. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Well there's hope - they're getting rid of the shitty 60s office blocks in the city at an ASTOUNDING rate. It's fantastic. Everywhere you go they're putting up screens around huge buildings and within six months thev've completely transformed it - they gut it from the inside and then build around the foundations with metal and glass. It's very clever.

8. cwej

cwej User

I can't understand the geography of London. It's HUGE.

9. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I saw a lot of demolition when I was at Waterloo last year. Let's just hope all the new skyscrapers don't date awfully...

10. funky

funky INCAPABLE

They're trying to stretch Canary Wharf along the Isle of Dogs right to the coast to create the longest stretch of commercial development outside of China.... they haven't cleared it yet but they probably will

The main problem is getting clearance for all those fancy glass buildings with the funny names in the City. The local busy bodies are kicking up a fuss saying it will "destroy the skyline" :manson:

As though the current one looks better!

So far they're being so vocal that they can't start construction until the complaints go away. VERY annoying. Everyone said the Gerkin was a mistake, now it's one of the most iconic buildings in the country.

11. Robbie

Robbie User

to me, that first picture from funky looks fine, a nice panoramic view, though I can't work out where it was taken from in London (ie which part of London). I assume it's south of the river - but I could be wrong...

12. cwej

cwej User

All the more skyscrapers for the terrorists to destroy.

13. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Oh and that curly building in particular is SENSATIONAL

They'd BETTER build THAT

14. funky

funky INCAPABLE

yup. Forest Hill apparently.

15. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Wait till you see pictures from Beijing next year. Skyscraper certainly isn't a word in THEIR dictionaries :D

16. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I'm sure you're only joking, but I've heard that view before and hate it. Talk about being lead but what a bunch of extremists want... If we did that then they wouldn't be rebuilding the WTC

17. funky

funky INCAPABLE

And what's that London Bridge tower? I don't recall that one. 310m would easily make it the tallest in the country. I mean Empire State is 380m...

18. funky

funky INCAPABLE

19. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

That's the ONLY ONE I knew for sure... I thought that was already on the way...

20. Madison

The Shard I think?

Here's the current state of play

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  21. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Not sure. I do know they've just gutted a MASSIVE hole in both Holborn and Euston Road... so I guess work has started on some of them

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  22. funky

funky INCAPABLE

And according to some web pages the Shard (London Bridge) tower would make it the tallest in Europe. With 66 floors. Woo!

23. Sebastian Flyte

Sebastian Flyte Ho hum

Looks awful. I hate the way that London & Berlin knock up ugly modern buildings right in among the great historical ones , those office blocks around the Tower of London area ruin it. At least some European cities confine the monstrosities to their own area.

24. cwej

cwej User

I'm joking yes.

25. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Yeah let's just keep it JUST the way it is.

WHAT WOULD CHRISTOPHER WREN SAY?

26. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I see Seb is of the opinion of those that are preventing the start of some of other buildings...

I don't get it. London is severely behind some of its peers around the world. Paris has a huge commercial district on the outskirts of the city and Madrid is growing rapidly. Sydney and New York have been way ahead for decades. And there are numerous cities in India and China that have already passed it in only a couple of years' development...

WE NEED SKYSCRAPERS. And some of the ones planned are the most amazing looking I've seen globally. As I've said, The Gerkin is not an ugly building and that is surrounded by classic gothic buildings in Liverpool Street. It is modern and it has loads of character.

What is more important is getting rid of those dreadful 60s concrete monstrosities (as they're finally doing) and as Ag said, making sure the new ones don't date quickly...

27. Madison

You're pretty small minded if you let a tall building in the vicinity of the Tower of London distract you.

28. cwej

cwej User

Why do we 'need skyscrapers' though? The REASON for skyscrapers forming in places like Manhattan, is because there was no space for everything they needed there.

I'm not averse to skyscrapers by any means, but I really don't see why we 'NEED' them.

29. Madison

Because they look cool.

30. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Of course we NEED them. Do you want them to start building thousands more three-storey buildings across Surrey and Kent?

31. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I always LIKED the mixture of new & old in London. It's unique. And those ugly buildings from the 60s were hideous. I'm glad they're all fucking off.

32. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Going abroad you do see how far London has fallen behind... I guess we've had economic booms at different times to other countries, and only now are we REALLY ready to expand... Especially as in only 5 years we'll be on show to the world...

Next maybe we should pay some attention to our dated TRANSPORT SYSTEM

33. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I fail to see how this is NOT an improved skyline...

[​IMG]

34. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I love the London look of old and new... Although it's not unique to London, the way everything is next to each other and the way you can get a row of buildings that range over 500 years is pretty cool. It's not like they're demolishing the classics...

And for those who argue the UK is very London biased... DAMN RIGHT! It's the capital and should take the lead!

35. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Oooh I like the front building. It looks like something out of a cartoon...

36. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

America should just give in and make New York their capital.

37. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I'm just glad that British movies will have some other buildings have have gratuitious shots of, instead of just the Gherkin.

That curly-wurly building is marvellous :o I love skyscrapers too, I don't often get the opportunity to be AGOG at things

38. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I think those are the three they've started groundwork on. The rest will follow

I guess we're about to go back to London having a skyline of cranes again. Much like when I moved to London in 2000 and they were working on Canary Wharf. All for the good of course...

39. cwej

cwej User

I wouldn't mind if it made my transport into London easier. :)

But my point is that there's a lot more space in London than there is in lots of other cities. Like Manhattan where they have only a small space to work with.

40. Sebastian Flyte

Sebastian Flyte Ho hum

Well you and I are never going to agree on modern skyscrapers since you love them & I detest them. I find nothing aesthetically pleasing in them at all, at least Paris has its modern commercial area separate to the rest of the city which is ok. I'd say any buildings in the centre of London should conform to the cultural heritage of the city and not be led by crude economic concerns. Berlin is even worse than London; half ugly communist barrack things & half ugly new modernist things with only the area around the Unter Den Linden & Brandenburg Gate ok.