Madeline McCann comeback 2013 - 2020

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Commotion

Commotion User

Well it's time to wind that company up and distribute the proceeds to charity.

It's been 6 years since their daughter was abducted and murdered.

It's just masochism to allow them to continue this pointless search.

They need to focus on the rest of their lives and their other children's lives.

2. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

I think that's easier said than done, not many of us can relate to losing a child.

and yes, it was more than careless to leave their kids alone, but they've undoubtedly learned their lesson and I still sympathise for them.

3. funky

funky INCAPABLE

check your language there. You sound like the Daily Fail.

4. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

Given that there have been responses to the latest Crimewatch report, it would seem a little premature and possibly illegal. Everyone knew what they were donating for.

5. Commotion

Commotion User

I do have a lot of sympathy for the McCanns and they will never recover from this, and I wouldn't wish their experience on anyone.

But let's put it into perspective.

They went out one evening for dinner while on holiday in Portugal, and left their 3 year old daughter unsupervised and she was kidnapped and most probably murdered.

This was in 2007.

It was an utterly horrible story that (unlike Maddie) refused to die. It was EVERYWHERE, non-stop, for month after month after month.

Understandable as they were clutching at any straw to try to find her. But I was sick of the story back then. Now it's 2013 I have even less interest in the story.

I'm just saying that the McCanns will be living with the consequences of their actions forevermore.

The rest of us should be spared that agony.

6. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Any parent would want to keep the story alive. The fact that the media chose this story over the stories of hundreds of other missing children is up to the media, not the McCanns. If the media wanted to bury the story they would, but they've decided it has legs and sells papers, so that's up to them.

I think anyone has any right to be sick of the story. But let's not flippantly accuse the parents of a missing child of profiteering off it when clearly the money is being used to help them find their child. It's slander.

7. Commotion

Commotion User

Well I was joking.

And considering how the country has been subjected to this story, relentlessly FOR YEARS (regardless of whether this is the McCanns or the media's doing) it's sort of inevitable people are desensitized to it by now.

I have no ill feeling towards the McCanns but the national obsession over that story resembled the embarrassing horror that was the Princess Diana Death story.

8. Kate

Kate SLAGS 4 TAGS

We need a poll: DEAD OR NOT DEAD?

I reckon NOT DEAD. Either trafficked by a paedo ring or sold to some rich family.

9. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

They may have not profiteered from it but the fact that they set up this fund and got all this publicity allowed them to stop doing their jobs and run around the world in a bit of a tasteless Carmen Sandiego tour. The fund, and this is well documented, was partly used to pay the mortgage of their precious house so they could 'focus on the search of Maddie', eg: travel to the Vatican to release some doves with the Pope to 'raise awareness' :manson:

They really haven't covered themselves in glory with some of this dodgy stuff, which is more likely to come from their publicists rather than themselves, but still!

10. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

I'm sure after the bouncy castle incident with untitled, she's taken about 5 steps backwards to finally making her big comeback.

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  11. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Totes and for me, the blame is really on the media for the way that they pick and choose stories, even those concerning the disappearance of a child, to fit their dominant narratives. The McCanns haven't acquitted themselves well in this story arc, but it could also have been a MUCH more dignified and quieter ongoing search, if the media would let the scrutiny and endless dissection go.

12. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

Speaking of IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTING, my parents took me to cyprus at 9 months old and left me alone with a local family in the hills that they had met THAT DAY whilst they indulged in a bit of SIGHTSEEING.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  13. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

The media has a lot to answer but the McCanns played up to them very willingly by hiring a publicist on DAY TWO of Maddie's disappearance and doing PR stunts left right and centre. At the time, the evil Portuguese police complained that all the media appearances of the McCanns were hindering the investigation. If you really, really don't want to, you won't appear in the papers.

14. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I'm just not sure what good the media circus is going to do. Other than campaigning to British holiday-makers who were in that resort on that day (whom have no doubt been over their actions and suspicious sightings already), if she's alive then she's not going to be in the UK, is she? She's probably in another European country or even another continent, so what the hell is a Crimewatch UK special going to do to help?

15. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

One of the three key objectives of the fund is to "To provide support, including financial assistance, to Madeleine's family."

If people are daft enough to donate to a not-for-profit without understand what its clearly stated aims are, it's their fault.

It should also be pointed out that over £500k of contributions are libel damages from newspapers.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  16. Commotion

Commotion User

Well i think that this s a touch Karen Matthews-esque considering that it's been 6 years since Madeleine disappeared and that both her parents are doctors and capable of paying their own mortgage.

17. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

BUt it's a whole lot of POPPYCOCK. People WANT to help. The thing is, why is Crimewatch being shown when probably only a couple of hundred of UK based people were ANYWHERE NEAR at the time?

Also, who financed that Crimewatch programme? I'm not sure I want my taxpayer's money being spent on YET ANOTHER REHASH of a LONG DEAD case...

18. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

[​IMG]

19. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

We should also remember that their younger twins were ONE or something. You surely don't just leave your infant children sleeping in a hotel room and fuck off out for a meal?!

20. Sheena

Has anyone noticed today's press regarding this girl they found in Greece with the gypsies and how it's all about MADELEINE FUCKING McCANN and her parents banging on about how this "GIVES THEM HOPE"

For once, loves, it's REALLY NOT ABOUT YOU

*grumble*

21. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

22. straightorbroken

Yuck, I wouldn't be putting my keys in a dish for THAT.

23. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Ag likes this.
  24. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

It's really disconcerting living in 2017 when real life has far surpassed satire. I feel like I'm living in an epsiode of Black Mirror/Brass eye/Bo' Slecta played at 10x the normal speed whilst high on PCP, with the punchline being, "Hey buddy! This is real life!!!"

25. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

26. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

So excited about Sexy Kate's stage debut.

monsta likes this.
  27. COB

COB The Red Cyclone

The story says she's a 'non-singing' patron of the choir, which if you ask me is just DEAD SELFISH and will hurt the cause :oi:

Zu-Klara likes this.
  28. COB

COB The Red Cyclone

Did we have any discussion of Maddie's cameo in #pizzagate last year, AKA the 2016 story that managed to be the most insane of all? Lunatics were saying that Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman was the man from one of the Portuguese photo-fits :D

Zu-Klara and monsta like this.
  29. JillTyrell

JillTyrell Deep inside I am profoundly lonely.

At least Karen Matthews would have had the balls to get up there CENTRE STAGE and make it all about HER!

ButterTart and monsta like this.
  30. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

At least a FREEMASONS mix is likely! :disco:

31. JillTyrell

JillTyrell Deep inside I am profoundly lonely.

Karen's debut single "She's Not Dead She's Under The Bed (Freemasons Club Mix)" for Q3 release.

ButterTart, Kate and COB like this.
  32. Commotion

Commotion User

I would like to see Karen Matthews on Celebrity BB.

Ag and JillTyrell like this.
  33. Sheena

It's Maddie's USP :disco:

COB likes this.
  34. straightorbroken

Well, I hope the BGT performance begins with Kate's entrance re-enacting this:

35. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Trending again. This time that the investigation is being extended AGAIN. Clearly Sexy Kate and Gerry saw the SUCCE$$ of the Steps comeback and wanted their own piece of the cake.

36. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

When is the BGT performance? Can't wait for Sexy Kate to get her moment on stage.

monsta likes this.
  37. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara GET HIM REG

When oh when is one of them going to finally BREAK AND SPILL?

Hopefully there'll be a dramatic LIVE confession just before Sexy Kate's NUDE ON ICE performance :disco:

monsta likes this.
  38. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara GET HIM REG

Oh NO. Absolutely no thought as to how easily it can turn into FINGERS AND THUMBS

39. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

She'd be 17 this year. Having a joint in the back of her Nissan Micra no doubt.

40. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Wonder if there will be any celebrations for her 18th.