Madonna's 'Power Of Goodbye' is beautiful...

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Mr Betty Draper, May 30, 2004.

1. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

The best vocals I've heard so far are "Deeper and Deeper", "Lament" (amazing in fact), "Burning Up" and "Imagine."

"American Life" is off, and she loses it a few times in "Into the Groove." Otherwise all's fine.

2. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

But in 'Vogue' she just sounds she's completely holding back. It's not bad, just that there is no oomph there at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2005
  3. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

That's true, but I'm guessing that's because it's been slowed down a bit and apparently the choreography's quite tight for this number so she's toning it down a bit so she can stay on-key. She does belt it out in some other numbers.

4. lolly

I'm lookin forward to those then.

The quality of these is surprisingly good, I must say.

5. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

Back to the matter at hand, yes, it is very beautiful. Keeps swapping with "Like A Prayer" and "Frozen" for me as my favourite Madonna song - at the moment it's on top again.

"Ray Of Light" is wonderful, but I don't actually think anything matches up to "Frozen" and TPOG in terms of similar sounding songs - which is not to say they aren't worth checking out of course. I'm in quite a minority, but "Little Star" I find does those songs justice enough as an album track. It's absolutely lovely to me, a very pretty song if you don't find the lyrics sickly (which I don't). Though some people just hate all of it. It isn't hugely similar, but certainly part of the section near the end with "Frozen" and TPOG that's full of the slower, mid-tempo tunes, ballads really. It's amazing though, I find that whole set of songs absolutely mesmerizing...even "Shanti" these days.

The uptempos are good too, "Sky Fits Heaven" being my favourite. Actually everything from track 5 onwards is nigh on perfect...the first 4 I can take or leave :shy:

6. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Its not the best song on the album, but "Little Star" is ACE

7. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

I did, and I'm NOT feeling vindicated. Not too late to get tickets I suppose. Damn Burning Up being so good! :angry:

8. lolly

I'm still a little underwhelmed by the live tracks (including Burning Up), but I think that may be partly due to my anti-Madonna feelings at the moment. I think I need the visuals for the full effect. I'm sure if I had only heard the tracks for Blond Ambition and Girlie Show without the visuals I wouldn't have been prepared for what was to come.

9. lolly

I didn't realise how many Madonna demos and rarities there were floating around on winmx!

Are there any unreleased tracks other than Revenge, Like A Flower and Gone Gone Gone I should be aware of?

I'm also in the middle of downloading 'You Thrill Me' which claims to be a demo of Erotica, but it's crawling along. Any good?

10. Sheena

Not particularly

11. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

Demos of "To Have and Not to Hold" (boring Sade arrangement, "No Substitute for Love" (somewhat different to the finished result, but very inferior) and "Sooner or Later" (poor quality) also surfaced a few years ago.

"You Thrill Me" is nothing special.

12. lolly

What about 'Wouldn't You Love To Love Me', supposedly another Prince duet?

13. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

I've never heard that. Most likely a fake. It'd have been all over the Madonna forums if it weren't.

14. lolly

I'm about 25% through it. It certainly sounds like Prince, but no Madonna.

15. Sheena

"WYLTLM" is actually a song Prince wrote for Taja Sevelle...

Nowt to do with Madge

16. lolly

Not much cop either!

17. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

I'd never heard this live before but she is really struggling here!

And yet there's still something mesmerising about it despite these early onset crox (it's from 1998)

18. Sheena

I don’t think that’s THAT bad and certainly not CROX- just a bit wobbly. It’s obviously a difficult song to sing- and which is why she’s hardly ever done with it live (it’s never appeared on a tour, for example...)

Iguana likes this.
  19. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

She sounds deaf, but it’s cute.

Gangsta Nancy Lam and Pipo like this.
  20. Iguana

:D

21. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I don't think it's bad at all. I quite like her vocals there - she just lacks some vocal control. I'd certainly take her singing that way now

22. Iguana

It's QUITE bad compared to her usual amazing RoL vox. Definitely agree that the problem is control, and she's forcing the vocal out way more than she needs to. But equally that adds some urgency to the vocal which is quite emotive.

Beverley likes this.