Magnolia

Discussion in 'The Classics - Films' started by funky, Feb 20, 2008.

?

Shut the fuck up! Shut the fuck up! You REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP.

1. 10

38.5%
  2. 9

15.4%
  3. 8

15.4%
  4. 7

7.7%
  5. 6

23.1%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I watched this for the third time the other night - completely forgot it's over THREE HOURS LONG and it finished about 4am ...couldn't turn it off, it's utterly absorbing

It's just unbelievably brilliant

What struck me is how this all-star cast is EVEN STRONGER - BY FAR - today than it was when it was released. Much of the cast have become superstars since their role here... William H Macy, Julianne Moore, John C Reilly, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Felicity Huffman - all A LIST now. Not to mention Tom Cruise in his best ever role, Phillip Baker Hall, Alfred Molina... the list goes on.

A surefire 10/10

2. rural juror

rural juror User

YAY! well done FUNKY :D

and I'm probably a 7 or 8, its great and all but I don;t know, doesn't stand out as one to revisit for me

3. funky

funky INCAPABLE

thanks to whoever deleted those duplicate polls... Moopy is being REALLY WEIRD to me lately...

4. dUb

dUb X HALLE

OOOOH

This is my stock answer when asked what my favourite film ever is. Well half the time. The other half it's Grease 2.

HOWEVER, I haven't actually seen it in about 5 years, so I will need to revisit it. I'm sure my opinion will remain the same though. I agree about it being completely absorbing... It's a TEN FROM ME

5. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Oh yes I love it. That poor kid. :(

I think I might like Boogie Nights just a LITTLE bit more though.

6. dUb

dUb X HALLE

I haven't seen Boogie Nights and yet I still BANG ON about PT Anderson being my favourite director.

God I'm shit.

7. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Julianne Moore is heartbreaking in Boogie Nights. Love it.

8. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I FUCKING LOVE Boogie Nights as well. Very similar cast, but Burt Reynolds instead of Tom Cruise which is INFINITELY better :D

Like I said though, Cruise is really good in this...

9. untitled

untitled Guest

I've just spent this morning/afternoon watching this film for the very first time. In fact, I've not seen any PT Anderson films besides this and the brilliant 'Boogie Nights'.

I loved this film, it was completely compelling from start to finish! I loved all the relationships and how the characters all linked together in some way. I think I may now live in total fear of raining frogs though, my worst nightmare!!

10. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3-A-L9LmQmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SUCK MY DICK!

11. untitled

untitled Guest

LOVED her in this, total star of the show for me (alongside William H. Macy)

I'm going to watch Punch Drunk Love tonight and continue watching the remaining PTA films up until The Master (one that I'm not particular excited about)

12. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

PDL is the only one I haven't seen. I just don't think I can stomach Adam Sandler.

13. untitled

untitled Guest

I know what you mean. :( I was hoping it'd follow Boogie Nights and Magnolia by having a touch of QUEEN JULIANNE but never mind. I was surprised by the somewhat 'short' runtime of PDL, cause he likes his films LONG doesn't he.

14. untitled

untitled Guest

Just re-watched this. Probably the best film I've ever seen, and like nothing else.

Absolutely stunning from start to finish.

15. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I watched this late at night when I was a kid, but remember nothing of it, except that Aimee Mann did the soundtrack (?).

16. untitled

untitled Guest

Rewatch it!

Can't believe I originally rated it a 9. It's an 11 if anything!