Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by WiDGe->, Mar 12, 2009.

1. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I'm waiting for a good steam price to grab it. Need to finish #1 anyway.

2. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

IGN Xbox 360 review is up

10 Presentation
    Clean and sophisticated. Brilliant and cinematic.

9.5 Graphics
    Exceptional artistic direction and a top notch-technical showcase.

10 Sound
    Martin Sheen steals the show, even amidst all of the outstanding voice acting and music.

9.5 Gameplay
    Tight mechanics, thrilling combat, and deep role-playing. The design is unparalleled.

10 Lasting Appeal
    A remarkable achievement in adapting a story to your decisions. It creates amazing replay value.

9.6/10 Overall

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6yC-A2To-t8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6yC-A2To-t8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  3. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Is this worth picking up if you haven’t played the first one?

4. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

*awaits EDGE's 7*

5. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Yeah but you wouldn't be able to enjoy the 2 games as intended. Not only would you not know what was going on, but your character, as well as some major decisions you've made, cross over from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2.

You can get Mass Effect on the cheap now. You could probably speed run the whole game in 5 hours (if you avoided all side quests and extras).

6. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Here to talk about the exceptional artistic direction and ... top notch-technical showcase that is Mass Effect 2? :military:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  7. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

How long have you been reading IGN? :D They gave Mario Party 64 a 9.5 too back in 1999!

8. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

People have a go at IGN but I find that a bit unfair. Apparently the IGN UK guys are quite good.

This is at least a 8 from EG, I can't see it getting less that the first one.

9. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I’ll get the first one on the cheap, play through it at a normal pace and get the second one when on the cheap

10. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Scoring is ridiculous really. They gave Superman (64) a 3.4, and if you looked at that in a linear sense it’s just below average. When it’s not below average at all, it’s a fucking abomination!

Scoring out of 5 would be a much better I think, I’d be much more likely to buy a 3/5 game rather than a 6/10 game.

11. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Well that's my point really, I'm not the one trying to undermine others' opinions with a score from IGN :angel:

All the 10s in the world can't help this game look any prettier.

12. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

13. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I thought the look of Mass Effect was absolutely stunning.

14. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

So did everyone with eyes!

15. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I love the glow of the lights... the electric neon blue that flares across the screen. The Normandy is lovely inside. Good character models. My Shepard looks a bit like a cross between Gem and Renee from the last 2 seasons of 24.

16. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

GOOD LORD

The main character is hot

That's all I have to comment

17. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

All the characters are modelled on their voice actors except the main character (who you can fully customise and be male or female), the placeholder you're talking about is actually modelled after a male model.

Also, launch trailer:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2O-0-fQOOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2O-0-fQOOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

18. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Chris Redfield and his RIDICULOUS arms is where I’m at in CGI men.

[​IMG]

:D

19. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Chris Redfield looks SHIT in that picture (bar the BICEPFEST) but he does look very sexy in RE5 :horny:

I love the way he walks in the game, like a man with a big penis does in a changing room.

20. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

ROFL...umm...:grr:

Reviews pouring in. Pay attention, Peekaboo

Eurogamer 10/10
    Gametrailers 9.7/10
    Gamesradar 10/10
    Gamespy 5/5
    Destructoid 10/10

GameTrailers review:

<div style="width: 480px;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=61244"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=61244" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object><div style="font-size: 10px; font-family: Verdana; text-align: center; width: 480px; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; background-color: black; height: 32px;"><div><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com" title="GameTrailers.com">Video Games</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/game/mass-effect-2/10875" title="Mass Effect 2">Mass Effect 2</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-mass-effect/61244" title="Review">Review</a></div><div style="padding-top: 3px;"><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/" title="XBox 360">XBox 360</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/" title="PS3">Playstation 3</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://wii.gametrailers.com/" title="Wii">Nintendo Wii</a></div></div></div>

(WARNING: Lots of spoilers)

GAME OF THE YEAR.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  21. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

9 from Edge
    9.0 from Gamespot
    93/100 from CVG
    98/100 from Game Informer

One more day. One more long day. Then my social life gets cancelled for a while.

22. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

"only" a 9 from Edge. I'm going onto EG to see if there is a moanfest against Edge.

23. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Naturally, haha

24. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

no moanfest

:(

25. tcamen

tcamen User

Can't wait... only recently played the first one [after getting it for Christmas in 2007 heh]. Absolutely adored it :disco:

26. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

interesting, a piece of code from inside the PC version:

Code:
    SFXGame.BioSFHandler_CharacterR?ecord2]m_nMaxRenegade=1900
    m_nMaxParagon=1957
    m_srXPFormat=340881
    m_srSpendTalentPointsMessageXBox?=348754
    m_srParagonRenegadeMessageXBox=3?48755
    m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePC=3?48753
    m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePC=348?755
    m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePS3=?348755
    m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePS3=15?3007

27. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

Yes please! :o

28. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

.ini files in the UE3 engine. This happens in most UE3 games. Doesn't mean its going to PS3.

If it does go to PS3 then everyone gets to enjoy it!

Meanwhile:

Deserves it. I haven't had much time with it (because I haven't had much time to myself) but my God, huge improvement over the first game.

Move over Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 is now my favourite game ever :D

29. tcamen

tcamen User

I'm still trying to find lots of time to play it too, but so far I LOVE it - particularly how it takes your ME1 decisions and shapes stuff accordingly.

A few friends have griped that there's not as much customisation of the weapons/armor/items etc, but I don't mind considering how much attention has gone into the game as a whole.

I'm playing it on hard to make it last as long as possible....please let it never end.

30. Mats

Mats User

a piece of my heart dies everytime I see the TV ad, I want it so badly

31. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Although someone pointed out that are Paragon and Renegade points really part of the UE3 engine?

32. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

So BioWare have come out and said "lolno its not on PS3".

...which means that you'll probably being seeing it on PS3 this time next year, lulz.

33. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Yes. Sounds like the "Bioshock No".

But if they only do ME2, thats a bit shit really.

34. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

UE is a nice portable game engine so its technically not difficult.

The TV ad for this game is rubbish. Just makes it seem like a depthless faceshooter.

35. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

I've put a lot more time into this recently ( 10 hours over the weekend :D ) and much like the first game I went from "meh" for the first few hours to "OMFGASM" a little while after.

Game is such a big improvement over the first. The visuals are incredibly inspired, the scenes right at the beginning of the game were amazing (I even restarted it so I could watch it twice!!) and the locales are much more varied than the first game; there are a lot more of them too.

I'm just dicking around at the moment scanning planets for minerals (dull dull dull...) and doing side quests, but I like this game so much that I'm going to try and make it last as long as possible.

Also, I imported my Shepherd from the first game, the decisions carry over nicely, sometimes in unexpected ways that put a smile on your face.

36. henZ

henZ do you love it?

I'll be buying this as soon as I'm done with Dragon Age, which should be in a week or so.

37. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I doubt I'm ever going to get round to playing this. I will never play it until I finish the first and since my save game got nuked on my reformat, I CANNOT be arsed going through the Citadel again...

38. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Cant you just download a save? Don't miss out on Mass Effect 2, its amazing.

39. henZ

henZ do you love it?

40. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

hehehe, I love his reviews. One thing I disagree with him about though are actually travelling to random planets to discover.. nothing. I don't know if he bothered scanning (which IS fucking awful) all the planets but you can actually land on lots of random ones if there is a reason (distress signal, etc) which turns into a mini-mission in a unique environment.

ME2 also features a lot more environments than ME1 too. Ones you actually want to go to as well. Ever character you pick up also has a 30-45 min sidequest attached to them which are light years ahead of the 2 minute fetch quests they gave you in ME1.