Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by WiDGe->, Mar 12, 2009.

1. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Finished it just now with my femle paragon, great game. The ending isn't as fleshed out as the first game but its understandable considering the game is just a 40 hour bridge between Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 3. Set up at the end was pretty good.

Overall it had a pretty different feel from the first game. The first had plenty of moments that were heightened by a sense of urgency, but they weren't as 'dark' or foreboding as they are in ME2.

I'll start my male renegade when I get the time, some of the decisions near the end of the game are pretty severe in their difference and I'd love to see the outcome not only in ME2, but they're an awesome set up for the next game.

I hope you get to Earth in ME3!

2. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I went female too. My char looks like a cross between Gem and Renee from 24!

3. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

New character/quest DLC coming

<div style="width: 480px;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=63465"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=63465" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object><div style="font-size: 10px; font-family: Verdana; text-align: center; width: 480px; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; background-color: black; height: 32px;"><div><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com" title="GameTrailers.com">Video Games</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/game/mass-effect-2/10875" title="Mass Effect 2">Mass Effect 2</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/kasumi-dlc-mass-effect/63465" title="Kasumi DLC Montage">Kasumi DLC Montage</a></div><div style="padding-top: 3px;"><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/" title="XBox 360">XBox 360</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/" title="PS3">Playstation 3</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://wii.gametrailers.com/" title="Wii">Nintendo Wii</a></div></div></div>

4. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I really should have bought this and the first one to get me through my week off of being bored.

5. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

You can just download ME1 from Games on Demand... or go to the shop and buy it for half the price. 3 years on its worth it, there are some technical issues but you wont really notice. ME2 on the other hand almost has none.

6. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Right. I’ve bought the first one for £9.99 from Amazon. Is there anything I need to know? Do I have to force myself through the first section to enjoy the rest or is it all good?

7. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

The Citadel is a bit of a test of endurance. Lots of people to talk to with very little of interest coming out of their mouth. Just seems to go on forever.

8. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

I hated the first 3 hours of Mass Effect. The rest of the game is sublime though. I suggest that once you get to the Citadel you go on to do a main quest right away. Then diddle around.

The last 2 hours of Mass Effect are probably my favourite gameplay moments of this generation.

9. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I’m not sure if I’m going to get into this or not. The upgrades, the endless tweaking and the having to look after other members of the team (which I detest) all really bore me to death. And I hate it when you do find an upgrade it doesn’t tell you in the equipment area which ones you have, you just have to go through each weapon individually to see which upgrades you’ve collected.

I’m willing to stick it out though and see if it improves.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  10. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

You'll get used to it after a while. Everything you have mentioned though has been eliminated in Mass Effect 2, thank fuck :sheena: The technical issues you will notice (texture pop-in, slowdown) is also thankfully absent.

The game is worth it. Like I said, the first few hours are awful... the developers just throw you in then turn around with their arms folded expecting you to know what the fuck is going on.

About 3 or 4 hours in it clicks. After you get to the Citadel you will be forced to engage in a linear, set quest which is actually pretty fun.

When this section is completed, and you aquire your ship, The Normandy, I would recommend paying a visit to the Asari Consort on the Presidium Level of the Citadel; not only will it give you a cool little item but it will give you a taste of the side quests. Its short but interesting.

After that, I would really recommend you go and pick up a character; a main quest. Just get on the Normandy, go to the map of the Galaxy (Milky Way) and go to the Artemis Tau Cluster. It will be highlighted as a main quest.

I think from that point you will feel more comfortable playing Mass Effect. The game has a very steep learning curve. The story is worth the perseverance.

I wouldn't play the game rushing in expecting the game to tell you what to do. You must explore the galaxies hubs for yourself, aquire missions and sidequests and respond to the odd distress beacon. You could rush as fast as you can and finish the game in 5 hours, or you can utilize everything it has to offer and make it last 50.

11. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

Oh thanks MAMA. I’m glad I’m not the only one completely overwhelmed by it. I shall stick with.

12. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I’ve got to the citadel now. I just use auto-upgrade for the stats and let my crew do whatever they fucking want when it comes to battles. It all seems to be making more sense now and less over-whelming.

13. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

What class are you playing as? And what did you pick as your characters background?

You will notice more and more as you go on that the two characters you take with you are essential to your survival depending on the situation. These decisions become a lot more easier after you familiarize yourself with what each classes strengths and weaknesses are.

The characters are very well rounded in this game and there are some you'll find there are some you like and some who will rub you the wrong way. Ashley and Kaiden Alenko, who you have already met, are probably the most 2 dimensional characters in the game.

You will get to know the characters more and more when you converse with them at regular intervals in the game. I grew to really dislike Ashley, heh.

14. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

After giving ME2 a rest for a few months I downloaded the Overlord DLC yesterday and its pretty damn good... kind of like a mini expansion pack.

Also finally got around to playing the Kasumi DLC which was also awesome, its a bit too short though.

15. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

A demo of this is now up on LIVE. I don't know how... or why 4 months later... :/

16. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Bought and finished the Project Overlord DLC - fucking amazing and well worth the 800MSP. Really quality stuff, I'm impressed.

It is short, a bit longer than the Kasumi DLC. Would love to play through it again.

17. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Fuck yeah, take my money bitches!

http://masseffect.bioware.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

I have just finished Mass Effect and will DEFINITELY be buying Mass Effect 2 when I'm back from holiday. Little did I realise when I sat down on Friday afternoon that I wouldn't leave the house (at all) for four days.

I have no idea what Peekaboo is saying about the visuals. Even MY DAD came in and commented they looked excellent. The only thing that really annoyed me is the sheer amount of equipment and how difficult it is to buy/sell the good/shit stuff. The whole equipping your team malarky is very poorly done. I hope it's much better on ME2 (and I have a feeling it is).

Did you guys pick up on Deanna Troy as the voice of Matriarch Benezia? :D

19. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

You can say it; peekaboo is an idiot.

Yes, ME2 handles the inventory so much better, you'll love it. Try and pick up a new copy of the game so you get the free Cerberus DLC and see if you can pick up Project Overlord on LIVE which is about 800MSP.

20. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Well its nice that this is coming to the PS3, but it'd be better if they did the first one too!

21. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Waiting to get a retraction from peekaboo's previous comments...

22. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Lair of the Shadow Broker is out. Right nao!

23. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Finished Lair of the Shadow Broker and it is the best DLC I've ever bought for any game.

Deserves the near-perfect scores its getting.

24. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

The visuals may be amazing (=GLOSSY) but the art direction is UTTERLY TERRIFYING, sorry. Some of those characters look like rejects off a bad Dr Who episode. Of the Sylvester McCoy era (I may have said this in the past).

25. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Actually I've said it in the tags, I just noticed :D

26. delirium

delirium TOODLES FUCKFACE

Peekaboo is such a racist. Honestly, what did those characters ever do to you? :(

I'm currently trying to finish this on hardcore (I think it's called that - the second hardest setting anyway) and everyone is TOUGH. Bitches keep dying on me. I have no idea how I'm going to complete the Suicide Mission without anyone dying (given I have to leave a hardcore fighter behind and probably take someone SHIT like Morden with me).

27. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Would you prefer this serious sci-fi game to have happy faces slapped on everything and waggle?

28. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Hah, I only had one character die on me because and it was pretty much my fault for making the worst choice ever. I have actually saved the save-file before I launched the mission and do all the DLC there, then I will attempt it again!

Peekaboo wouldn't know a good game if it fucked him up the ass. Oh God, I shouldn't tempt fate D:

29. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I really like this, its a significant step up from the first Mass Effect. Walking around places like Omega is about 10003585825x more interesting than your first trek around the comatosing Presidium. Side missions have been given a massive overhaul which is well welcome. Now they have a plot rather than “travel to a planet, find the room which is the same room on all planets and kill everyone inside”. I’m a LITTLE scared that the main story might amount to little more than “find lots of people, go on final mission to nail bad guys”. Hopefully this isn’t the case.

Bioware’s characters and dialogue is better in this but the game STILL suffers from far too clear cut good/bad response syndrome. I’ve picked up Alpha Protocol on the strength that it actually has a dialogue mechanic where things don’t feel right or wrong so obviously, and your actions have a massive impact on what happens later in the game. Still, its massively better than any dialogue Bethesda does.

Thank GOD the inventory has gone... but its gone too far. It would be nice to have some individual weapons, interesting weapons to buy from shops. Not the millions that ME1 had. Also a shame to see the ability bit massively cut down. I really enjoyed pouring stats into that. Also moving to an ammo system. This is sad. I like the overheating stat system from before. The enemy AI is better to fight against but its not as good a 3rd person shooter as something like Uncharted. Squad mechanic is much better than in the previous game.

Has the Paragon/Renegade system been BROKEN? Or am I carrying decent Charm & Intimidate stats over with me? Everyone I come up against, not a single blue/red option is greyed out.

I can’t really say if it is GOTY as I’ve not played RDR and other things like Castlevania. It is good though!

30. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Shadow Broker best DLC ever? Interesting. I often champion Burnout Paradise for offering massive content for free. Also the Dragon Age addition is meant to be epic. Oh and Wipeout’s Fury update.

31. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Oh, and for some strange reason, ME1 ran like ASS in places like the Citadel, but ME2 I have turned up to MAX with no issues. For some reason the bridge of the Normandy and the Illusive man’s abode is a bit jittery, but other than that. Smooth.

32. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Oh, and for some strange reason, ME1 ran like ASS in places like the Citadel, but ME2 I have turned up to MAX with no issues. For some reason the bridge of the Normandy and the Illusive man’s abode is a bit jittery, but other than that. Smooth.

33. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

Looking back, the story is nowhere near as good as Mass Effect 1 and the sense of adventure seems to be missing a little ME2, but it's still an exceptional piece of software.

34. peterb

peterb User

One of the my most favourite game ever, Amazing game and great graphic in this game, Excellent enjoyment to play with PS3, Best story and characters. Lovely sound effects.

35. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

How have I missed this?? It seems to be massive (haha etc).
    I'm going to play the 1 hour trial from the PSN to see what I think.

36. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Its really good. TIP: you don't need to be really anal about scanning planets, just do it when you need to, quickly scan about for ones with Eezo and by just reading the description you'll find out if there is an event to find there. The AI will actually pipe up and say "OH LOOK SOMETHING HERE".

37. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Play as a woman too.

38. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I did an hours trial. I found it all a bit boring.
    The combat is a bit simple is it not? Aim and shoot. Done. Zzz.
    It isn't really an RPG either.

Also, why a woman?

39. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

The fella has the worst voice acting.

Demo is a tutorial level. Those are always dull.

40. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Oh an hours trial? Well ideally you should have done the intro bit and then headed to Omega or the Citadel. Going to Omega would have sparklefied your experience!