Meet & Greets - THOUGHTS?

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by dUb, Sep 15, 2020.

?

M33t'n'Gr33t???

1. Done it, would do it again

9.1%
  2. Done it, wouldn't do it again

4.5%
  3. Haven't, would

9.1%
  4. Haven't, wouldn't

77.3%
  1. dUb

dUb THESE WORDS JUST COME OUT

Inspired by the Steps chat.

I've never done one myself. The closest I've come would be queueing up to get Mariah's autograph on The Emancipation of Mimi Ultra Platinum Edition at HMV Oxford St aka the first time I met @Whatevar which of course was a wonderful day. You can see highlights of it in glorious HD here. Oh and I stage-doored after Hair in the West End to ask S*sha Allen to sign my DVD of Camp.

But when it comes to paying hundreds to have a fleeting moment with a celebrity/group and get a picture, I've never been tempted. If I'm going to have an interaction with a famous person I admire, I would rather it wasn't a TRANSACTION.

I'm curious to hear of Moopy's experiences with this sort of THING, good and bad. Thank you so much.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

Back in the day, I used to meet lots and lots of celebrities at signings, tv shows, hotels, the airport (lolz)

but seriously this was before it became big business for them, and let’s be honest who can be arsed paying for the experience?

3. Mats

Mats User

not a paid meet n' greet but I interacted with Erykah Badu once after a show. me and my friend were still at the front taking it all in after she'd done the set, and one of the musicians emptying the stage gestured us to come backstage. so about ten people jumped up on stage, went round the back and got to sit in the lounge with her, asking her questions and drinking expensive musicians' bottled water which was all VERY NICE and of course not a pleasure I've had since

I would never pay for a greet and a photo of a celebrity with a pained smile

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  4. SDF

Fun facts: Dannii Minogue was a delight, Kelly Rowland was actual stun gorge and Ashanti was completely above it all :eyes:

Mimi also a total diva but darling this was the charmbracelet tour so she was probably still on the meds :disco:

5. dUb

Oh I think we're going to need a bit more detail :D Which ones were nice/horrible?

Disclaimer: Posted before the fun facts above

6. ButterTart

ButterTart Didn't we have fun?

I paid £50 to meet Bret Hart. It’s not something I’d normally do but he’s a legend (to me, anyway) and a proper nice bloke so it was worth it.

dUb likes this.
  7. SDF

Jamelia became horrible (and made my friend cry, as she legit had followed her career from Day one :D) after she got big with Superstar

Suomi, Dark Carnival and dUb like this.
  8. dUb

I'm imagining a scenario where Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan are offering such a service on their next tour :side-eye: and I actually can't see myself not taking the PLUNGE!

Pipo and SDF like this.
  9. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I have paid once for Saara Aalto which @Alla will probably terminate our online friendship over but it was only £20 ish extra and it got you into the venue earlier, and we got a good 10 minutes with her. Don’t think I would ever do so again with anyone. It’s not the money aspect mostly, it’s the fact it’s a business transaction and it all feels a bit clinical.

10. Kalabaliken

AS IF Mutya would agree to a meet and greet! Though I guess if it pays for her fake nails for a year, she may reconsider.

11. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

The artifice of it all puts me off. Due to friends having more glamorous jobs I've met celebrities organically and that's been lovely, but paying to stand in line for hours to get a photo and two lines of forced conversation through a rictus grin doesn't appeal in the slightest.

12. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

I once donated £90 to an animal charity to meet Belinda Carlisle but the slots had all sold out.

Of course I didn’t ask for my entire donation back. I let them keep £10 :disco:

PercyPig and Barnacle like this.
  13. Suomi

Suomi User

what was the story here? DEETS PLEASE

Is it really awkward for those 10 minutes? That’s quite a long time when you don’t know someone i feel

14. lolly

It's an odd concept really, isn’t it? Paying for a few minutes with someone who you know has absolutely zero interest in you other than your money.

15. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

It's a great money-spinner for performers whose income maybe hasn't been as strong as it would have been before streaming etc, so even though it's not for me, I fully support people going for it if that's their bag.

That said, I think the whole set-up sounds awkward and uncomfortable, and clearly a lot of celebrities feel the same, because a bunch of them have come out and said they won't be doing it for mental health reasons. I do think it would be a bit intense coming off stage and then having to listen to thirty strangers give little speeches about how you changed their life, and they love you more than anything, and can you please, please, please sign the douche they carry their mother's ashes around in.

Suomi likes this.
  16. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Never paid for one but have had a photo with some who came out to sign merch etc.

Did go back stage for drinks after an A Camp gig though as got invited back by Leona Naess who was supporting.

17. SDF

She asked if the CDs which she was signing were for eBay and didn’t have time for her anymore, when before they even had each other’s numbers and would message when she was coming to Scotland :D

We burnt the CDs on the way home x

Lee, Pipo, Suomi and 1 other person like this.
  18. Kalabaliken

CUNT of the MONTH SEPTEMBER 2020 in the BAG

19. lolly

If you nominate Jamelia, I'm nominating SDF.

octophone and Suomi like this.
  20. SDF

:oi:

octophone likes this.
  21. KindaCool

KindaCool Kick Rocks. Eat dirt.

Mariah is the only one I'd do it for.

Although I've met her during an album signing for free, but it took HOURS.

22. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I've never been terribly interested in meeting celebrities at signings, stage doors etc, so even less so to pay for it. No judgement at all on those who do, but as others have said, it feels clinical and inorganic. I don't think I'd even do it for Kate Bush (and honestly, I'd be a bit disappointed if she ever LOWERED HERSELF :D)

Did go to some signings for Swedish celebrities back in 2008-9. I'm sure I've wheeled those anecdotes out a million times but Charlotte Perrelli was very nice in a brisk sort of way, Sanna Nielsen was very warm and genuine, Malena Ernman mistook me for somebody she knew and gave me a massive hug before we both realised the mistake and Linda Bengtzing was completely and utterly insane.

Other than that, I did also get a signed copy of the Kym Marsh album because she happened to be doing a signing in Virgin Megastores Liverpool and I felt bad for her that the queue was so short. I wished her good luck with the album, and of course the curse of VoR immediately took hold. (In fairness, it was also a really boring album).

Suomi likes this.
  23. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Oh and as a teenager I was once terrorised by utterly evil low-rent Joan Collins Kate O'Mara. But I've told that story a million times as well.

24. SDF

Oh YES, I'm forgetting I met Ruth Lorenzo in Spain. She cried when we spoke and I said I was from the UK. I think she was so touched someone from the UK was over at her signing. She was lovely.

Diddy, Suomi, Barnacle and 1 other person like this.
  25. KindaCool

I'm hosting a Meet and Greet later this month if anyone's interested.

For $100 I'll sign your egg carton. (Tips not included)

Suomi likes this.
  26. SDF

I'm sure Ag will bring a dozen eggs of his own to that greeting hun :eyes:

Pipo, Suomi, Ag and 1 other person like this.
  27. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

No. And I don't think I've ever spoken to a famous person for free either, on purpose or by accident.

28. KindaCool

I will become the Anna Wintour of Moopy

[​IMG]

Diddy likes this.
  29. Kalabaliken

I've never met a famous person either. Even if I had, I would NEVER mention it. :eyes:

Diddy likes this.
  30. SDF

What about Blu Hydrangea? :eyes:

Diddy, Tisch, Pingu and 1 other person like this.
  31. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

The only ones I’ve really done are for drag queens and it’s either lumped in with the ticket price or about a fiver more.

I’ve met quite a few more organically but wouldn’t do the whole packages for hundreds and the photo because it’s cringe and I feel bad for them.

32. Barnacle

Barnacle Climb on through my window.

I think I have actually spoken to her in a bar but that was before she took over the world.

And I guess I did a semi meet and greet when the two performers from The Simon and Garfunkle Story were selling their CDs and signed mine. The cute one even asked it I liked the show.

Dreamy.

33. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

Add me to the list of people who don’t see the appeal.

I don’t think there are a huge number of famous people who I would be dying to meet anyway - let’s face it, if you do run into someone famous, unless there’s some kind of fun story to go with it they still don’t care whether you live or die in most cases.

Why spend hundreds to have a contrived experience that makes that fact abundantly clear?

34. SDF

Was Saara nice?

Wait a minute, I'm sure @Pingu also met Saara Aalto?

35. SDF

You Euro queens must have met a lot of Eurovision stars over the years, no?

36. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

Oh I daren’t go there, lest I be on the receiving end of one of Kala’s “you’re not that special love!” rants... :shy:

Diddy likes this.
  37. SDF

You can just tell the exclusive story to me when I'm in London then...

38. Jacques

Jacques doing it for my lover

I've done paid meet & greets with Saara Aalto, Lucie Jones and SuRie (as part of a Kickstarter campaign for her covers album :D). I also paid about £10 to meet Michael Rice 'backstage' at Weston-super-Mare Pride last year before mingling with him for a few hours at a local bar after. So before anyone commits to representing the UK at Eurovision in future, do consider that I WILL BE AFTER YOU

Have done Eurovision star stalking before the London preview party the past couple of years, my photos with Benjamin Ingrosso and Felix Sandman ended up on a custom-printed t-shirt for when I went to Sweden for one night to see their joint tour

Also had them with Union J and Busted (these were gifts to my mum okay, which I just so happened to benefit from as well :eyes:)

dUb, Suomi and Barnacle like this.
  39. Jark

Jark apocalypse

I think they're tragic, sorry!

monsta and SDF like this.
  40. SDF

:D