Meet & Greets - THOUGHTS?

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by dUb, Sep 15, 2020.

?

M33t'n'Gr33t???

1. Done it, would do it again

9.1%
  2. Done it, wouldn't do it again

4.5%
  3. Haven't, would

9.1%
  4. Haven't, wouldn't

77.3%
  1. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

Oh Jesus you’re one of THAT lot? :DAF:

2. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I’ve never paid for one, and I don’t think I would, but I’m still SCREAMING at the CRJ intimate M&G we blagged

Gangsta Nancy Lam, SDF and dUb like this.
  3. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Back in the early 90s, I went to instores and had records signed by James, The House of Love, Inspiral Carpets, Teenage Fanclub and The Frank And Walters (I was a teenage indie kid - I think this is well-known). These were free events designed to sell records - James, TF&W and TFC all played short acoustic sets (in fact, I saw TFC do a short full blown electric set one time). Now that record sales don't make artists any real money, the same impulse has been monetised.
    James are a good example. 1990 - 3 songs and then signing records - gratis. Most recent tour: VIP package with access to soundcheck, promising at least one song that won't be in the set for the gig and a Q&A - extra cost around the £30 mark.

4. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I've met loads of my favourite musicians by the way but none of them are at the level where they would be doing this sort of thing. Except maybe that bloke out of Mogwai but he was a dick anyway.

5. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

I met Jennifer Paige after a gig of that counts! She literally just hung around so we chatted to her and her husband and had a drink. She was LOVELY. And very easy to talk to.

Jark, Diddy, Kalabaliken and 2 others like this.
  6. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I chatted to Nelly Furtado when she did her first gig in Spain (to about 100 people in a club) just when "I'm Like a Bird" had just come out. I went to the concert with my STRAIGHT HEAVY METAL FAN FRIEND and he INSISTED we hung at the door so we could perv at her when she came out. I didn't mind as I didn't really care for Nelly one way or another, but had I been a fan I think I'd rather NOT have chatted to her.

My boyfriend turned down DINNER WITH CHER (and probably 15 other people to be fair) for a shag back in 1998! But we did get to see Björk have her hair cut in his boat before a concert once. We DAREN'T speak to her or her army of assistants though.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Diddy and Tisch like this.
  7. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Actually, I've just remembered I DID attend a meet and greet with ELLIE GOULDING of all people in 2011. But it was in San Francisco and she happened to be doing a signing at a record store I went to.

I got her to sign a CD for my niece. She spelled her name wrong.

Jark, Pipo and Kalabaliken like this.
  8. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

What's the tea on Nelly?

I can't even at the rest of the post. My mouth was getting progressively wider let's just say that. :D

Diddy likes this.
  9. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Oh she was really nice. She was TINY and I remember it was quite dark already but she had the most BEAUTIFUL SPARKLING GREEN EYES :disco: She spoke to us a little bit in Spanish and signed our tickets. Then she asked us where to go for a good night out in Madrid! And my friend recommended her some RIGHT HEAVY METAL DIVE so I hope she never heeded our advice :D

Jark likes this.
  10. Tisch

Tisch Superwomaning

Oh I read this:
    as if she'd been a cow. :D

11. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

No what I meant was that I am firmly of the opinion that you should never meet your idols, particularly if they're world-famous popstars. They're a different species altogether and I think I'd just be disappointed at the lack of HUMAN CONNECTION with them.

Jark, Tisch and dUb like this.
  12. Logic?

Logic? User

I am LIVING for the black girl in the queue in that video. What is that photo album all about I can't make it all out?! HEADS WILL ROLL :disco:

I hope she is looking forward to Loverboy (Firecracker)

SDF and dUb like this.
  13. dUb

dUb X HALLE

SOMETHING ELSE isn't she?! :D:disco:

14. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

The idea of someone agreeing to meet me only because I had PAID them, makes me rather ill. It's sooo degrading for everyone involved!

The only exception for me would be 1990 Madonna*. I'd sell my family into slavery to meet her.

*2020 Madonna would have to pay me to meet her

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  15. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

LOTS OF LUV ELLI GOLDING XXX

Peekaboo and Alex like this.
  16. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I did a Kylie signing, but that was too good an opportunity to pass up to meet one of life's absolute heroines.

Otherwise, yes, I think they're tragic too. I've met a few pop stars (some lovely- Kim Wilde, Rick Astley, obviously Saint Etienne) but it's always been organic.

HeLikedTurner and Jark like this.