Megyn Kelly gets FIRED

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by POP!, Oct 28, 2018.

1. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

I doubt anyone gives a shit outside of America/knows who she is but I love a good pearl clutching controversy especially at the expense of a former Fox News personality:

She did a segment with Melissa Rivers, Jenna Bush Hager and doesn't see what's wrong with wearing black face as a halloween costume. She gets cancelled by NBC within 48 hours (at around 4:00):

The tearful apology:

2. Jark

Jark User

It's been quite interesting to see how swiftly NBC acted. As if they'd been waiting on an excuse to swing the axe.

Where does she go from here?

3. SDF

SDF Bigger Than Us, OUT NOW

Maybe she can go all out as a golliwog on Wednesday? :)

4. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Which one is she again...these pale-skinned blondes all look the same to me...

5. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

In fairness and at the risk of being axed from Moopy I don’t think she said anything that bad. Everyone is too sensitive. She said it both ways and said if it’s done respectfully. I agree what’s wrong with someone wanting to look like Diana Ross for a night if you’re a fan (should that float your boat). What next, people can’t be witches at Halloween or drag queens can’t be drag queens?

6. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I think I choose to remain blissfully ignorant

7. Ag

Ag User

I think it's because the historical roots of blackface are from deeply racist era and context.

COB, cwej and Suomi like this.
  8. Suomi

Suomi User

No to this. If you experience racism everyday then her ignorant comments undermining this experience are very unhelpful.

COB and cwej like this.
  9. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I know that but I don’t think she came across as linking it to that kind of experience or usage at all.

10. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I grew up gay in a small DUP ran and supported town so I’m well aware of insensitive comments and the impact they can have, having been on the receiving end of many. I don’t believe this was her intention or that she lacks comprehension of this based on what she has said here.

11. Suomi

Suomi User

Being gay doesn’t also give you the experience of being black.

She literally says in her apology video that she has now learnt the significance of the comments she made.

COB and cwej like this.
  12. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I didn’t say it did. I said it made me aware of the impact of derogative comments to a minority within a community.

13. northernlad

northernlad all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Let's be honest here, even trying to get past the disgusting roots of it all (and I don't think one can) the ability of most white Americans (including Democrats) to wear blackface and keep it in the most supposedly respectful manner possible would quickly disappear after a few drinks.

14. Suomi

Suomi User

Well in that case, you don’t think it’s oversensitivity?

Anyway, if you’re paid $69 million to give your opinion everyday, then the least you can do is try to stay well-informed on the issues you’re leading a discussion on. So whilst I agree with you that what she said wasn’t aggressively racist, it was deeply ignorant and an example of the media undermining the everyday experiences of people that these issues most directly affect. I mean, if they really wanted to discuss the topic of blackface for Halloween, they could have had at least one black panellist for a start.

cwej likes this.
  15. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I agree. I have no idea who this woman is or her history. My point is that based on what she said in the video I watched I think it was harsh for her to be fired. Dressing up as a general black person as a notion of fancy dress is of course horrible but I think this should have opened up a helpful debate or educate rather than the way it has transpired.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Peekaboo likes this.
  16. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I find it interesting how blackface isn't an issue in many countries, I presume because they don't have the same history of slavery. See celebrities in Greece 'blacking up' on TV for example.

17. Ag

Ag User

And of course there's that weird Christmas thing in the liberal Netherlands. I recently found out, they did it in Harwich until recently - apparently something to do with the local proximity to the Netherlands.

18. Jark

Jark User

In the Netherlands, the Dutch folklore character of Black Pete (he gives sweets to kids and always portrayed with blackface and an afro wig) is a very popular Christmas time tradition. In 2013 90% of Dutch people didn't see a problem with it according to one survey, although there have been more abolition campaigns recently, and as of 2018, NTR (the Dutch BBC) has said Black Pete will only have soot marks on his face now, no blackface or afro.

So awareness is definitely on the rise about the insensitivity of blackface even in countries without an appalling history of black slavery. If even the Dutch (not exactly a nation who worry about offending) can see what's up, I think Megyn Kelly OUGHT TO KNOW that it's just NOT ON.

KindaCool likes this.
  19. Ag

Ag User

What's this based on?

20. Jark

Jark User

The Dutch are notorious for being very frank. They're a nation of straight-talkers.

Like all national stereotypes you can argue it but having family and friends there, a Dutch best friend and having been there a fair bit, I would say it's absolutely true.

21. cwej

cwej User

THERE IS NO DEBATE. Why is this so difficult for white people to get?!

22. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Let's see if anyone hires her. That's what'll really make this a canary-in-the-coalmine moment.

23. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Best thing about this (other than that beige creature getting fired) is that she dragged Countess Luanne with her.

24. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

Indeed. She is also an attorney, and studied the laws that kept black people disenfranchised for centuries (and still do to a much lesser extent). But she has a history of saying ignorant rhetoric like “Santa is white accept it” and that black people targeted by police brutality were “no saints” themselves. I mean at least FAKE being P.C. if you’re being paid 69 million.

25. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

$69 million? WHAT?

26. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

Yes a 3 year contract. I don’t know if they bought her out of it or what.

27. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I really thought that working at NBC would maybe change her a bit, because she's a brilliant reporter. But as the old saying goes, you can take the girl out of the country...or in this case the trailer park.

28. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

Lest we forget she did this near ten minute segment calling for Britney's "If U Seek Amy" to be banned by radio :D

"She's very creative, she's obviously a LYRICIST." :D

29. Slave

Slave User

She was properly SMUG when they worked that into the video as well.

30. Rita

Rita User

Because you know I’m all about that bass
    ‘Bout that bass, no treble...

31. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

As tone-deaf as her comments were, I think whoever produced the segment should also answer for the fact that four white people were sat around a table debating whether or not blackface is racist. How is that still happening in 2018?

Ellie likes this.
  32. Jark

Jark User

I mean another question is why NBC hired her at all knowing exactly what she's like.

33. Slave

Slave User

I agree. I actually felt that in the context of the whole thing, her comments were - as you say, tone-deaf rather than intentionally offensive. It was more telling that no-one really called her out on it for the very reason that it was a panel of four white people.

Comments like: "I haven't seen it, but that sounds a little racist" and "If you're going to dress up as something that might cause offence, you've got to be able to take the criticism" are passive condemnations if you're being incredibly generous.

I think a lot of commentators are now so aware that these whitewashed panels aren't a source of ACTUAL debate that they're terrified to do anything other than sit on the fence and lean a bit to one side or the other.

34. Slave

Slave User

Guaranteed publicity.

Why would ITV hire Piers Morgan? He's offensive, arrogant and stubborn. But until he drops the spark that starts a wildfire and his position becomes untenable, he gives them a constant stream of clips they can plaster over social media to provoke a response.

35. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

She's the one who was on the receiving end of those awful Donald Trump comments implying she was on her period while hosting the Presidential debates, right?

I can only assume she got a wave of public sympathy based on that?

36. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

37. POP!

POP! Coupure Électrique

Yes.

Kirsten Powers, her former colleague at Fox News (Powers was the liberal pundit of Fox) wrote a quite scathing piece about Megyn and a complicit NBC last week and the issue with Megyn being painted as some feminist hero after Trump went after her:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...t-comments-white-supremacy-column/1760679002/

For context, this is their dynamic circa 2010:

38. cwej

cwej User

That article from Kirsten Powers is excellent and basically sums up Megyn Kelly well.

But I can sum her up better: CUNT.