Midsommar

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by VoR, Jul 5, 2019.

?

I believe Suomi is evil

1. 10

22.2%
  2. 09

33.3%
  3. 08

22.2%
  4. 07

11.1%
  5. 06

11.1%
  6. 05

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

The new one from Ari Aster - writer director of Hereditary. I'd say if you liked that one, you'll like this too. If you didn't, don't bother. I loved it, but we had a fair few walkouts in our screen. :D

I think it's one of those that really benefits from a cinema viewing rather than at home, because the trippy visuals and languid pace can wash over you better. I didn't find it to be particularly scary, it's more about creating a creeping sense of unease that builds up to... well, if you've seen Hereditary :D

I was never quite sure what Hereditary was really trying to say, but this one is much more obviously about toxic relationships and messy breakups. Florence Pugh is fantastic, she doesn't get as much scenery chewing as Toni Collette, but it's a more controlled performance and excellent for it. I'd love to see her get some awards attention for it, but if Toni couldn't get any major noms I have my doubts...

The boyfriend was a bit more one dimensional I felt, as were the other supporting characters, but it was nice to see Chidi from The Good Place in a fairly prominent role.

2. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

I fucking loved it. Planning to see it again this weekend, maybe more than once. It was hypnotic.

VoR likes this.
  3. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

I adored Hereditary. It's one of my favourite horror films of all-time, but this one left me mostly cold. It has some absolutely gorgeous and striking imagery, but it felt overlong, predictable and nowhere near as atmospheric as it's straining for. Not scary or disturbing either, and yet it really should be. I also felt some of the character decisions weren't particularly believable, nor were any of the characters particularly worth investing in. It's going for Wicker Man vibes, but doesn't really get there for me. I'd give it 7/10. Not bad by any means, and vastly superior to the generic trashy horror flicks out there, but far from a masterpiece.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Loved it, the open grief of Florence Pugh in the first part was really devastating. My audience also ate it up but it’s more of a dark comedy and there was a lot of uncomfortable laughter. It also looked great, every shot was beautiful to look at.

Florence is in Greta Gerwig’s Little Women playing Amy so this will serve to boost her profile if that turns out good.

5. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Oh I was cackling at the end, but I did the same with Hereditary. I don't think the occasional silliness takes away from either film, I really admire the fact that it's unafraid to really swing for the rafters. A lot of the best classic horror has elements of camp. The Wicker Man is an obvious comparison for this one, but I feel like Carrie is another one.

I really felt for Florence Pugh's character in the first act when she was trying to be accommodating and not a drag even though she was clearly still massively traumatised. Despite the boyfriend not being the most fleshed out character, I did also feel a bit of sympathy for him too - I would imagine many people have been in a situation where a long term relationship is on the outs but then something horrible happens to the other person and you end up sort of trapped. He was obviously a bit of a dick too though.

6. jivafox

I thought the humour here was all intentional, whereas I’m not sure if we were supposed to be laughing at Toni Collette’s headless body flying up to the treehouse in Hereditary.

I enjoyed it the most as a bonkers, off the wall, break up film. :D

7. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

This is going to be my next cinema trip, I think

8. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Loved it. It dragged in places but the last 30 minutes or so was outrageously silly and shocking. Great performance from Florence too, loved the smirk she gave to camera at the end. I haven't sat in stunned silence after a film ends since L'Interieur.

9. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

[​IMG]

dUb and jivafox like this.
  10. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

God I loved every minute of this. Could have happily sat through another couple of hours of it, gore notwithstanding. My film of the year so far.

jivafox likes this.
  11. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Also

Phoenix, HeLikedTurner and jivafox like this.
  12. Mats

Mats User

the first hour was great but the second was really boring. no actual suspense, just waiting for the inevitable. reminded me of von Trier in places, maybe he's going for that spot

the sex scene however was hilarious, it had the audience howling

HeLikedTurner likes this.
  13. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

I know he was a bit of a SHIT in the film, but I must admit to Jack Reynor giving me the fanny flutters. :shy:

dUb likes this.
  14. jivafox

He was SEXY, and I will be eternally grateful for that lengthy nude scene.

HeLikedTurner likes this.
  15. HeLikedTurner

HeLikedTurner User

Me too!

*awaits 4K release*