Miss California: Freedom of speech, homophobia etc

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by VoR, Apr 20, 2009.

?

Model in "opinion" shocker!

1. I think fairplay to her for being true to her personal beliefs

48.8%
  2. I think she should have kept her homphobic claptrap to herself

51.2%
  1. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

During a Q&A session at the Miss USA Pageant, Perez Hilton (who was judging) asked Miss California on her beliefs regarding gay marriage. Under what must have been immense pressure she stated that she believed that Marriage should be between a man and a woman, and apologised if her opinion offended anyone.

This has caused a bit of a debate on another forum I visit, with some people, liberal and conservative, praising her for being honest and standing up for her personal beliefs in a high-pressure situation, while others simply think she's a homophobic bimbo.

What do you think?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZYV1aBDH7cA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZYV1aBDH7cA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

I'm with Miss California. I might not like what she believes in but at least she's being true to herself. I do think Perez is the one who is coming of worse. Calling her a "dumb bitch"? If you don't like the answer don't ask the question.

3. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

4. Well she's obviously a fucking retard because she goes "I think it's great we have the right to choose in this country between same sex or straight marriage" (even though that's not actually true), and then goes, "but I think marriage should be between a man and a woman". Erm, :manson: love, that doesn't make any sense.

5. POP!

POP! Not unhinged or unhappy

She was obviously trying to preserve an all American image and a lot of what those beauty pageants represents are those conservative demographics, but then again she is from California so she should know better.

But to be fair to Perez her answer was SHIT, even though her actual opinion may be subjective.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. funky

funky OH SHE’LL HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK

Was she being honest though?

If it really was her personal belief, fair enough. But if she was just saying it because, as an American, she thought she would get a bigger negative reaction by supporting gay marriage, then she can fuck off.

7. funky

although it's worth pointing out she was unlucky to get the question, because she was fucked either way...

8. aaarrgh

aaarrgh aspiring to be eurotrash

If she were in Miss America pageant, these beliefs might have helped her. But the Miss USA pageant, where the winner goes on to compete in Miss Universe, has a trendier, more progressive image.

Saying that her parents taught her that marriage is between a man and a woman is a copout. In the 1960s she could have said that her parents taught her that the races didn't mix and would have been still standing up for her beliefs. If your beliefs are bigoted, then standing up for them is nothing admirable.

Did you see that Perez asked 16 year old Miley Cyrus the same question and she immediately came up with the wiser answer that she just thought everyone has the right to be happy. Part of being a beauty queen is knowing when to give a polite, pleasant non-answer.

9. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I'd question Miley Cyrus' opinion that everyone has the right to be happy. What does that mean?

10. POP!

Well, what does the pursuit of happiness mean?

11. aaarrgh

I think it was an oblique way of saying that if marriage makes gays happy she's ok with it, but it was clever enough to give almost anyone who hears it something they can agree with without really saying anything.

The point with Miss California is that Perez is a well-known and obvious homosexual, and the wording of his question was leading her to say something, anything nice about gay marriage. Even a young woman should be savvy enough under those circumstances to know that you either say something the questioner wants to hear, or you politely evade the question. If she had done either of those two things she probably would have won the contest. Saying something guaranteed to offend the questioner in the name of standing up for your beliefs doesn't say anything for your diplomacy skills.

12. funky

Perez was clearly looking for another headline though. I notice he asked Miss California the question - funny that...

13. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

I don't think she's stupid but I think she missed out on a great opportunity to just, you know, BE NICE

14. POP!

I did like seeing the look of extreme disappointment on his face though, after she gave the answer...

15. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

I've never listened to Perez Hilton before. What an utter, utter cock he is.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  16. Suomi

Suomi User

I don't think it was an acceptable viewpoint, because it's not an acceptable viewpoint :)

17. Jonfessions

Jonfessions R U 4 REAL?

Well, there is that. It IS largely an acceptable viewpoint in America though, sad as that is.

How far we have come, yet so far we have to go...[/militant gay rights campaigner in pink hotpants and Tatchell t-shirt]

18. Suomi

Suomi User

well either you believe in equal rights or you don't. Draw the line where you want, it's very clear where it remains.

and in regards to this clip? WOW she was honest. So I respect her a little more than a silent homophobe. Hurrah.

19. POP!

Most people who are against gay marriage seem to be against it for the wrong reasons (IE. that's how they were raised so that's the only way they are able to think, the bible tells them it's bad)... the fact that it's REALLY an issue about EQUAL RIGHTS and NOT MORALS or RELIGIOUS VALUES is something many anti-gay marriage folk fail to think about.

This may be a massive generalization, but I'm just SPEAKING FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and WHAT I'VE OBSERVED GENERALLY.

20. Zodiac

Zodiac Registered Ulser

I agree. Honesty is a much overrated quality. She's entitled to her views but I don't see how airing them in public (even in response to a direct question) is particularly commendable or makes her any less of a bigot.

21. Suomi

Suomi User

oh I know, but the religious values are homophobic too. The Bible is homophobic. So, if you're using religious reasons then that's fine, but it's much easier to just come out and say 'I don't believe in equal gay rights' rather than 'I don't believe in equal gay rights because the Old Testament tells me to'

22. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I voted fairplay, after much deliberation, not because I have any respect for the moronic wench, but because I do think she was entitled to answer the question honestly and it would probably have been much easier for her not to.

I probably should have made less vague poll options. OH WELL.

23. Suomi

Suomi User

well with poll options like 'heroine' or 'homophobe' i hardly think you were being vague, VoR

HOW is it heroic to give the most popular opinion, that gay marriage is disgusting and against God ?

24. JET BOY

JET BOY PERVERSE

To be honest I am amazed at how big this has become, its been all over the internet today. I mean does anybody actually care. It was something some dumb girl said on a beauty pagent, she was probably barely even thinking about her response herself, but just trying to get through the question round by pleasing everybody.

If it had been somebody with a bigger public profile I would give it a bit more attention, but I really think this is a big storm in a teacup personally.

25. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Oh you shouldn't pay much attention to the title. I was just trying to be attention grabbing. :daf:

The actual question is "Was she right to answer that question honestly in a public forum, despite how objectionable her opinions were"

26. Suomi

Suomi User

wow, well that's even worse in my opinion. Leading question much ?

27. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I just find it interesting from a free speech point of view. She was asked a very loaded question and 99% of people in her position would have said something vague, or what the (famous and openly gay plus very influential) person who asked wanted to hear. It isn't very nice what she said, to put it mildly, but she didn't initiate the discussion and it's interesting how various people who are very pro-democracy and freedom of expression are responding to her.

Plus I never start the good threads in this forum. :(

28. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Let's keep it real here.

1) She was honest.
    2) She's a HOMOPHOBIC CUNT.

I think honesty in that situation is neither a good nor bad quality, and all her good qualities are marred by the fact that she's a HOMOPHOBIC CUNT.

29. JET BOY

JET BOY PERVERSE

Oh and personally I don't really see anything wrong with it. She doesn't state she is against gay marriage, just that she believes "marriage" should be between a man and a woman, which is fair enough if you take the term "marriage" as a religious term. She doesn't say she is against same sex couples getting a civil partnership or whatever, basically a marriage but without the religious aspect to it.

But I still can't believe I am giving this my time of day. I feel like I've just analysed a B*Witched song lyric or something, or diassected some really awful poetry.

30. Suomi

Suomi User

?

31. aaarrgh

The final question from a judge's panel to a beauty contestant is not really a public forum, it's more like a trick question in a job interview. Being honest is not the point at all (most people asking a beauty queen a question don't remotely WANT a brutally honest answer), but to demonstrate how you handle a touchy question without looking stupid and WITH appearing nice and sympathetic. In both those measures she failed the job interview.

32. aaarrgh

Full disclosure, I've known Perez for many years. He's a bit of an egotistical dick, but no more than most in his field. Anyway, just tweeted him after his appearance on CNN's Larry King show. He came across as smart and thoughtful, and made a good case for the inevitability of gay marriage in the US.

33. jonhawk

jonhawk Bluffin' with my muffin

She is a "dumb bitch" as Perez said. Only because her answer made no sense. She said everyone has the right to choose same sex marriage or "opposite" (:D) marriage. Hello? No they don't! That totally contradicts what she then says about what she believes/thinks on the matter.

34. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

She should have just said

WE LOVE EVERYBODY

It's called MEDIA TRAINING

35. smexy

smexy Guest

I would have more respect for her if she had said she simply doesn't agree with homosexuality. I may not agree with her but I would respect her right to an opinion. I'm afraid she just contradicted herself because she doesn't understand the issue.

36. Suomi

Suomi User

Guys I don't think she contradicted herself - she meant that it's great that people in this country have a right to CHOOSE what they think about gay marriage - ie , to openly say it's okay or not okay

37. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

word, word and word

I'm RATHER SURPRISED that some of you think this is fine

38. smexy

smexy Guest

If that is the case then I respect her honesty. She doesn't deserve to be called a 'dumb bitch' for not prescribing to a certain set of opinions.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  39. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

'Miss California: Heroine or Hermaphrodite?'

At least thats what *I* keep reading from the topic. :shy: :D

Anyway, dumb or not, the question was heavily loaded and all, but she failed to answer it. It was more of a legal question, no? As to whether the other states should legalise gay marriage too? That way, she didn't even need to give her own opinion.

40. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

She deserves to be absolutely ripped to shreds by those that oppose her views IMO. If people that oppose those views just sit on the internet defending her freedom of speech then gay people can forget ever achieving equality.