Miss California: Freedom of speech, homophobia etc

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by VoR, Apr 20, 2009.

?

Model in "opinion" shocker!

1. I think fairplay to her for being true to her personal beliefs

48.8%
  2. I think she should have kept her homphobic claptrap to herself

51.2%
  1. Slave

Slave User

Maybe the whole thing was ambiguous, since what I'm reading now seems to be a whole lot of backtracking.

I agree with RB (whereas before I don't believe I did) on the second paragraph, and of course I don't think she is right in what she says. On an earlier point, if it were one of my friends saying the same thing, I'm not sure how I'd respond. I value a world where we can have debates, and I'd really like to see more of her in a "controlled, sensible" debate - ie. not one with Perez Hilton who seems incapable of this.

2. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Yes, I agree.

I think people have taken exception to poll option 1 because it implies you respect homophobes who are honest about their homophobia. People have taken exception to poll option 2 because it implies you don't believe in freedom of expression for all.

In the case of everyone who has been involved in this discussion, I'm pretty sure that no one falls into either of those categories.

3. Suomi

Suomi User

robotboy = magneto
    spuggie = professor x,

who is responsible for making me laugh so much ? :D

4. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I didn't understand these tags! Who are Magneto and Professor X?

5. Slave

Slave User

This is indeed a true summation, and in that context the two can't ever reach an impasse or co-exist, since they are complete parallel extremes that would never meet in the middle. Hence some of the exasperated posts (mainly from me, admittedly).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  6. Suomi

Suomi User

X Men is a quintessential part of any homosexual childhood.

please take your homophobic ass out of my sight

7. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

Are we saying RobotBoy is the Sir Ian McKellan of Moopy DARLING?

8. smexy

smexy Guest

I see your point but that's a pretty extreme example. I imagine doing it could potentially be construed as incitement regardless of whether it was intended as a joke or not. That is illegal so it wouldn't be tolerable as freedom of expression.

Don't do it kids.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2009
  9. Suomi

Suomi User

i did that once at Star's Christmas fair for her Brownies

there was so much shouting

10. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

11. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

I think it worked extra well because our meeting place is a Baptist Church.

12. smexy

smexy Guest

Star's Brownies must know how to disarm a terrorist? There is a badge surely?

13. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

[​IMG]

14. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

I was scared it would make me flippantly homophobic again if i wrote it proper :(

15. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Homophobe.

I've tried to read up on both characters but I still don't really understand. Sci Fi people are weird. Their wikipedia pages are very wordy.

16. funky

funky OH SHE’LL HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK

VERY GOOD

17. cwej

cwej User

We met this guy last night and my friend said to him she wasn't sure if he was gay or straight to start with and I concurred. He said he was really offended by that... it became really awkward, everyone round the table was like.... 'why are you offended?' and he said 'well, because I'm not'... I said to him the implication was that being offended by it, means you think of gay people as lesser beings. He replied saying he wouldn't like it if someone thought he was older than he was either... But it was really awkward.

18. Commotion

Commotion User

I fully agree. And if someone voices an opinion like she did then they absolutely deserve to be ridiculed and shunned like a leper. Her opinion is 100% valid but 100% unacceptable at the same time.

19. Slave

Slave User

I'd probably be offended that it had been raised to start with...if it'd been the other way around, would you have been perfectly happy that someone you'd just met was second-guessing your sexuality?

We all do it, but I certainly wouldn't dream of saying it to someone's face, not unless I got to know them really well and it came up in recollection.

20. PGCMc

PGCMc R.I.P Nippy

Well said Slave if there were green reps the you would've gained one from me

I think that some people just don't understand homosexuality. I once knew someone who was a Born Again Christian...she was a lovely person but she did not understand homosexuality & thought it was a sin. It never really bothered me cos I knew that's what she was being told at her church & that there was no point in arguing about it. I do believe people are entitled to their opinions.

21. funky

I fully imagine it wasn't what cwej said anyway, it'll be the way that he SAID IT... :D

22. Phoenix

Phoenix Get Well Soon

:D

23. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

But I sort of DO understand that. I got asked the same question at a university party by a girl on Thursday night and it's slightly weird because you don't expect a question like that. I didn't feel offended by the question per se but I don't think it's a particularly TACTFUL thing to ask someone without ever having talked to them before.

24. Suomi

Suomi User

It's like that Madonna intro for "What It Feels Like For A Girl"

but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
    because you think that being a girl is degrading

HOWEVER, I can understand why he was thrown off by it. If he knew he was gay, and he wasn't out, then it's probably a sensitive issue for him, so it's understandable he gave such a flustered reaction. And if he was straight, then it's probable that he was offended because you considered him to be effeminate, which I know a lot of gay men worry about too, let alone the straight ones who aren't. It's that whole 'straight-acting PLEASE' crap that you see.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  25. aaarrgh

aaarrgh aspiring to be eurotrash

If the guy is really straight, it won't be long before he finds out that being totally gay-ish and 100% heterosexual is an almost unbeatable combo for getting girls, and he'll never be offended by it again. If he is still offended, he probably doesn't really want the girls' attention and probably is a secret gayer.

26. cwej

cwej User

As far as I'm concerned it shouldn't be a taboo subject. It's one of the first things I ask a guy (particularly in the amateur theatre world!) because then at least you know where you stand!! It so shouldn't be a big deal.

Funky - if you actually read my post, you'd see it wasn't me who asked it anyway, it was my friend. And she didn't say anything wrong as far as I could see. Why do you always post as if I'm some kind of social retard?

27. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

From IMDB:

28. funky

I don't think you're a social retard, cwej, I just think you're incredibly tactless.

If you don't believe me, ask someone else!

29. funky

oh LORDY :D

30. POP!

POP! Not unhinged or unhappy

Going against gay rights is like trying to turn time BACKWARDS, it just DOESN'T WORK.

31. funky

true. all those conservatives have got a few tough years ahead of them because the laws will eventually pass, it's called social evolution. GET USED TO IT.

32. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

Oh DEAR, they're the lot who did the 'There's a storm brewing' message aren't they?

33. Suomi

Suomi User

can we do a 'A Storm is Brewing' video with Moopy members about the Girls Aloud single potentially missing the top 10 please Star

I'm an Asian dwarf

I'm a Swedish hobo

etc

34. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

Fab :D

(it's midget btw, I'm perfectly in proportion)

35. aaarrgh

aaarrgh aspiring to be eurotrash

I saw Miss CA on a news show here last night saying "I don't want to raise my children in a country where marriage is described as hateful and discriminatory" and it was all I could do NOT to yell at the TV "You're the one who is discriminatory and full of hatred!"

36. Suomi

Suomi User

Every sentence brings a new delight

OH IT'S A JOKE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XwNHE3QXVc4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XwNHE3QXVc4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  37. Suomi

Suomi User

my favourite bit so far:

"My grandfather taught me to NEVER let anyone take away your freedom - your freedom of speech - your freedom. This is why I have worked SO HARD to take away freedoms from gay people"

:D

38. Suomi

Suomi User

"It was my assault on my freedoms and my constitutional right - which should NOT HAPPEN in America - unless you are gay - in which case you should quietly understand that God does not agree with you. (no offence)"

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  39. Suomi

Suomi User

is this actually real :confused:

"If you want to speak out against the equality for women, blacks or Jews, do not be afraid to speak out against this"

"And never, never ever ever forget to say "no offence" at the end, because this makes it all okay"

40. Suomi

Suomi User

I think it says more about ME than it does about HER that I thought it was REAL

JUST SAYING