Moopy ARTIST OF THE WEEK (22.08.11) - ACE OF BASE

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by funky, Aug 25, 2011.

1. funky

funky INCAPABLE

YOU ASKED, YOU GET!

Welcome to part 2 of Moopy ARTIST OF THE WEEK. Sorry we're on a delay, I've been trying to find the time ALL BLOODY WEEK and kept forgetting. DREADFUL. Anyway, onwards...

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_base
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Base_discography
    http://www.youtube.com/artist/Ace_of_Base?feature=watch_metadata
    www.aceofbase-music.de

Has any Europop act since the glory days of ABBA actually conquered the world like this LOT?

And were they ACTUALLY the new ABBA?

And why on EARTH did they manage to win over America with their very non-American music in a way that SO many others have failed to do?

DISCUSS.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. Kate

Kate most die in your bedroom

America saw the sign, and it opened up their eyes :):)

3. funky

funky INCAPABLE

4. Ag

Ag User

They were more like the new... Erm... Men At Work?!

Barely ABBA-lite though. It's like saying Cardiagns, Hives and Robyn were all the new ABBA!

5. Ag

Ag User

Happy Nation (US Version) is obviously the greatest pop album of the 1990s. If that's too extreme then the best Europop album.

And it was all about:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9gOg6D4sl4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. funky

funky INCAPABLE

there were a lot of comparisons at the time weren't there?

"look they're from Europe! They have 4 members! A blonde bird and a brunette! They play keyboards and guitars and make silly videos!"

or something.

7. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I'm not going to be as much help this particular week but I will say this: I'm still not recovered from the lyric "LIFE IS A FLOWER"

bring back DES'REE!

8. Ag

Ag User

Ace of Base never quite reached the LEVELS of ABBA's possibly quite un-self aware but fabulously iconic videos. Ace of Base were a bit too SELF AWARE. To be honest I don't really recall many of their videos, aside from Beautiful Life:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pyly3JtXoy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's completely ludicrous and probably cost far too much for what it is. The fact they all come out of a sleeping girls mouth just boggles the mind...

9. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Ah, the 90s. So innocent. So quirky. So shit yet good at the same time.

10. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

What I really love about Ace of Base is how much depth of quality there is in their catalogue. Yeah, it's definitely an aquired taste, but all of their albums are packed with hidden gems. Flowers is one of my favourite pop albums ever.

An attempted top ten, this is genuinely VERY HARD

1. Life Is A Flower
    2. Don't Go Away
    3. Show Me Love
    4. Angel Eyes
    5. The Sign
    6. Waiting for Magic
    7. Dr Sun
    8. Always Have, Always Will
    9. Adventures in Paradise
    10. Everytime It Rains

Very late-era heavy I know, and I do LOVE the first two albums and all associated singles. It's just that they were ever so slightly before my time, wheras I have massive affection for the Flowers era.

11. VoR

I never actually got around to buying their recent album with the two new girls, even though I LOVE 'All For You'. It really was a MASSIVE, MASSIVE flop. Didn't even chart in SWEDEN.

12. Ag

Ag User

I'm not going anywhere near an impromptu top 10... the quality is all just so similar across the board!

I have never been able to get on board with The Bridge. As indiviual songs there are some crackers, but as an album, I don't WANT my pop acts to try to be that mature so early in their career. I even prefer the career rehash that is Da Capo.

13. VoR

Oh their video collection is a shonky 90s production values TREAT. Although sadly the Flowers era is properly shit in that regard. I HATE the video to Life Is A Flower, which doesn't fit with the song AT ALL. Lovely summery number with gospel choir - so let's have them all dancing around a washing machine and gurning into the camera! :daf:

The early vids are great fun though, and the Da Capo ones very funny for an increasingly porky Linn looking thoroughly pissed off in the background throughout.

14. Ag

Ag User

Said song was FINE and DANDY but without Jenny and Linn it's just NOT Ace of Base. Not that Linn EVER REALLY WAS.

15. Ag

Ag User

Linn's decline to shadowy background singer was always quite bemusing.

16. TurnerPrize

TurnerPrize time to dance

Lord, for shame i think i only know two of their songs. I'll come back through this thread in a few days and educate myself.

17. VoR

I genuinely think Don't Go Away would have been another top 5 hit, perhaps even their 'Turn Back Time' (Aqua, not Cher) if released after LIAF and given a proper video.

They did have some ropey lyrics here and there, but they NAILED IT with this one.

Do you wanna be more than a picture
    Hanging on the wall
    Something to remind me
    How it all went wrong?
    Do you wanna be more than a number
    Forgotten in a book?
    You're holding something special
    So take another look...

*sweeping string instrumental*

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SoNxLT8eMag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I hated everything they did aside from 'Always Have Always Will' and that woman's vocals ( sorry, don't know the names ) on 'The Sign' and 'All That She Wants' were terrible.

19. Ag

Ag User

To be honest having just rewatched Life Is A Flower (the biggest HOW was that a hit in the UK? moment) and I love the rare appearance of Linn having a RIGHT GIGGLE at 0:52

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wtIuPApOP-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. VoR

Linn was usually the lead vocalist for the first two albums, after that it was primarily Jenny. Although Linn did do lead on the lyrical miracle that is 'Everytime It Rains'.

21. Ag

Ag User

In fact EVERY Linn moment in that video is a WINNER.

22. Ag

Ag User

I still do a REALLY? when hear the immortal "I get wet"

23. VoR

Jenny actually attempted to enter Eurovision this year, for Denmark (presumably thinking it'd be easier to win the national final there than attempt Melodifestivalen).

It didn't work sadly, but the song is a bit of an uber-generic treat.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hkn0mS9jGs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  24. Ag

Ag User

She hasn't aged a BIT.

25. Ag

Ag User

Oh actually BINGO WINGS.

26. VoR

Yeah aside from the slightly flabby arms (and to be fair she must be nearly 40 now if not older) she's aged really well.

I dread to think what Linn looks like these days.

27. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

[​IMG]

I only own the first two albums, the Singles GH and a budget one. Flowers is one of those albums always talked up on Moopy (usually by VoR :D) that I've meant to check out but never got round to.

Last year's 'comeback' album spent one week at #100 with the good people of Switzerland, so project saved! :toyah: (and a bit more interestingly, #20 in Germany, although it sank like a stone) Agreed that they really should not have kept on calling themselves Ace of Base, but I presume that was a condition for the record company to release anything new in the first place.

28. Ag

Ag User

Flowers was AMAZING at the time, but has not aged FANTASTICALLY. But there are some CRACKERS on there... I'll always a moment to 'Travel to Romantis'

29. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Now I do of course ADORE Le BASE, as I have YAKKED on about many times.

Key things of note;

- "Come To Me" is a BONKERS LOST GEM

- Da Capo is CORKING

- "Everytime It Rains" was written by NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS :o

- Sheena got it right when it said Nazi Ulf could GAS me anytime and/or turn me into SOAP

FIN :disco:

30. Ag

Ag User

Hey Darling would be MY HIGHLIGHT of Da Capo. Although there are TWO VERSIONS of which is decidedly SUPERIOR.

31. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I was weirdly never a huge fan as you'd think they'd be RIGHT up my street, but I have grown to love quite a lot of the singles in recent years. All That She Wants, The Sign, Always Have Always Will, Life Is A Flower... all treats.

The most recent album without Jenny or Linn was actually really good. The main singer sounds like she's got a 40-a-day habit so it's QUITE AUTHENTIC. Black Sea is my favourite piece of ludicrous melodrama from it.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GwOR_HpzWFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

32. Ag

Ag User

I love how they've BARELY UPDATED their sound...

33. Ag

Ag User

All That She Wants is NEVER rated by Ace of Base fans... It's FINE and ALL THAT, but The Sign is their BIG HIT of choice...

34. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

The ultimate AoB track is, was, and will always be YOUNG & PROUD followed by BEAUTIFUL LIFE

35. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I can't say I'm much of a fan beyond a few of the singles, but Beautiful Life is brilliant. I'd never seen the video before :D

36. Samuel

Samuel User

I love them. I've never really delved into their back catalogue aside from the 3CD Greatest Hits released a few years ago, which tended to cover all of the major hits with the fan favourites thrown in for good measure.

'The Golden Ratio' is an excellent album and the two new girls certainly sing better than Jenny and Linn ever did. They might not be the authentic and original Ace of Base but with talk of them wanting to represent Sweden at Eurovision in the near future, I don't think Jenny was the right 'face' of the group going forward.

37. Ag

Ag User

Well if Carola and Lena can REPRESENT...

38. POP!

POP! Across that county line

The four that I KNOW:

1. The Sign
    2. Beautiful Life
    3. Don't Turn Around
    4. All That She Wants

39. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Wash your FOUL MOUTH OUT

And "Beautiful Life" is CRAP

40. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

1. Living In Danger
    2. All That She Wants
    3. Lucky Love
    4. The Sign
    5. Beautiful Life
    6. Happy Nation
    7. Wheel Of Fortune
    8. Life Is A Flower
    9. Travel To Romantis
    10. Adventures In PAradise/Cruel Summer/C'est La Vie (This changes quite a lot)

I Cannot bear Donnie, Cecilia and Always Have, Always Will :gross: oh and He Decides, Tokyo Girl, Just a Vision, Experience Pearls, My Deja Vu and Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry do deserve a special mention. :disco:

I can't believe I remember this many songs, I do love them