Moopy Book Club (August): Tayari Jones - "An American Marriage"

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Suedey, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

Recommended by @Beverley.

[​IMG]

From goodreads.com:

Newlyweds Celestial and Roy are the embodiment of both the American Dream and the New South. He is a young executive, and she is an artist on the brink of an exciting career. But as they settle into the routine of their life together, they are ripped apart by circumstances neither could have imagined. In this deft exploration of love, loyalty, race, justice, and both Black masculinity and Black womanhood in 21st century America, Jones achieves that most-elusive of all literary goals: the Great American Novel.

2. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I hope we havent got book club fatigue already! Im going to buy this tomorrow. Im reading lots of great short stories, but I want to make some time for this.

3. Mats

Mats User

next year we need to read less current books because these newer releases are giving me hell at the library :D 14th in line. probably won't make it :o but hey! I'll be fine! awaiting your verdicts :disco:

4. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I need a book for my holiday next week! So I might just join in :disco:

5. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Though this better be good or else I’ll blame my failed vacation on you lot.

Beverley likes this.
  6. jyxz

jyxz User

Have you got an e-reader? @Mats

7. Beverley

8. Mats

Mats User

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY BEV

9. Mats

Mats User

I could do it on me iPad...

10. Beverley

Poor me

Embedded in that mess is the message: one of us csn send you a copy of the book.

11. Mats

Mats User

digital copy? thank you yes :)

12. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Okay girls, I bought both An American Marriage and Overstory today so I’m ready.

Will start reading this next week, need to finish my French gay prison drama book first.

Suedey and Beverley like this.
  13. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

I'm on it.. just need to finish the third book in the Millennium trilogy (hopefully this week) and then I'll start this..

14. Beverley

I've got it too, might not read it straight away tho, cos I've promised to read something for the occasional Mr/Mrs Bev Book Club. :disco:

Suedey likes this.
  15. Cécile

Cécile Shep's Classic 12"

Count me in gays. :disco:

Suedey and Beverley like this.
  16. Beverley

YAY CEC!!!!! :disco:

Cécile likes this.
  17. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Finished this. I liked the complex dilemmas that the main characters were battling and I loved the structure of the book but I found it hard to warm up to any of the three main characters, especially Celestial. Like last month’s book this was an honest portrayal of the human race at its worst when it comes to love, commitment och fidelity. Basically everyone is a an asshole. But unlike last month’s book (sorry for comparing) I found the writing a a bit thin and overall it gave me bordeline chic lit vibes. Still a solid 7.5-8/10

18. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Going in now from my Italian sunbed, loves

Suedey likes this.
  19. Beverley

I'm just over two thirds of the way through. Hope to report back on Friday.

Suedey likes this.
  20. Beverley

Hi huns. Finished early.

The book was not at all what I expected. I think the author made some really interesting choices; starting so 'late' in their relationship, giving us so little of their earlier happiness, a huge chunk of the first third consisting of merely letters between the two main characters. I think because of that, I find the book quite cold, and I found the characters quite cold too. But I really came round to it. The way she handled the build-up in and during the final confrontation was just brilliant, and I really loved/admired how messy it all was. So I had a totally different opinion to RS - I found the book quite powerful. I felt for the characters. Nobody was right. But everybody had been done wrong in some way. The two fathers were really great, as was the writing. I loved the subtle southernness of the language. It's getting a 9/10.

21. Cécile

Cécile Shep's Classic 12"

This is so difficult to get through. I'm on a third now and I'm really unimpressed by the one dimensional characters - the Walter reveal in particular - and I'm bothered by the racist undertones. Celestial is such a nasty character. Her justification of the abortion, her view of the women who go to the prison to visit their husbands (do you want me to be like them? I'm a strong independent woman with my own dreams. No you're not. You're an entitled, manipulative piece of work who forces Roy to apologize for basically everything while she never does so. I was so glad he got rid of her in prison but I reckon they work things out and it'll be a happy end. Ugh.

Rant over. I'll get back to it to finish the rest.

RaspberrySwirl and Beverley like this.
  22. Beverley

CEC :disco:

What I did find myself reacting to (in a negative way) was all the talk about the role of women in all this; to guide, to heal, to save men. All the references to 'a woman's work is never done'. I found it quite patriarchal, but then I had to remind myself that it isn't pretending to be a feminist novel. It's set in the south in a particular community and I know that those attitudes are real.

23. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Maybe the mother (what’s with calling the parents by their first name? It kept confusing me) healed and saved Roy and her husband, but just like Cecil said, Celestial was nasty and selfish and did no such thing to neither of the guys.

I mean the whole thing started with her being mad at Roy for him telling her about something special and very personal, but still not crucial for her to know before they got married. (You might have noticed that she hadn’t told him about her own parents’ business at the time she was born).

24. Beverley

Being on a first name basis with the parents was very, very WEIRD

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  25. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

Just started this tonight GANG.

Are we going for Toni Morrison in September? If so, which book? I can start a POLL..

26. Beverley

Only if others want to! And same re: book. I've read the four most popular ones, but happy to defer to the people! poll is a good idea

27. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I haven’t read anything by her so I’m up for it.

But when are we doing Circe and Overstory?

28. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

I think we can just roll everything down by a month as the rota only went up to November..

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  29. Suedey

Suedey HELL-ON.

Back on topic: I am really enjoying An American Marriage so far. I should have it finished by the end of next week I think, and will post a review then.