Moopy Book Club - January '20: 'My Year of Rest & Relaxation' by Ottessa Moshfegh

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Suedey, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

[​IMG]

From Good Reads:

This is a novel about a young woman's efforts to duck the ills of the world by embarking on an extended hibernation with the help of one of the worst psychiatrists in the annals of literature and the battery of medicines she prescribes.

Our narrator should be happy, shouldn't she? She's young, thin, pretty, a recent Columbia graduate, works an easy job at a hip art gallery, lives in an apartment on the Upper East Side of Manhattan paid for, like the rest of her needs, by her inheritance. But there is a dark and vacuous hole in her heart, and it isn't just the loss of her parents, or the way her Wall Street boyfriend treats her, or her sadomasochistic relationship with her best friend, Reva. It's the year 2000 in a city aglitter with wealth and possibility; what could be so terribly wrong?

My Year of Rest and Relaxation is a powerful answer to that question. Through the story of a year spent under the influence of a truly mad combination of drugs designed to heal our heroine from her alienation from this world, Moshfegh shows us how reasonable, even necessary, alienation can be.

2. Mats

Mats User

should arrive within a week... amazing cover

Suedey likes this.
  3. vespertine

vespertine A kind of fever chart

Well I'm about 50 pages in and it's going down as smooth as an Ambien SO FAR. :altaf:

4. Mats

Mats User

the courier messed up and shipped it to my MUM who lives 260 km in the OTHER DIRECTION. I'm visiting this weekend though and will start then. sorry for the delay y'all!

5. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I started yesterday, it’s going down very smoothly, so you’ll have no trouble finishing it quickly.

Going into this right after Crime and Punishment, it’s a bit unfair to compare, but this feels like chick lit light and so far I’m a bit on the fence, but we’ll see how it turns out.

6. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

But to quote what you just said about Circe, doesn’t this narrator feel even more indifferent?

7. vespertine

Yeah, but I suppose it's the point given her depression so I'm more forgiving. We'll see though. Circe was a goddess of magic for crying out loud and still "MEH" about it all. :D

8. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Circe was indeed hardwork, but I was rooting for her through out the story. This bitch I’m already wanting to OD and die... :D but yeah, I’m still only 50 pages in.

vespertine likes this.
  9. vespertine

Yeah. Calling it now too that given
    that the novel starts in September 2000 in NYC, a year later will be 9/11.

10. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

11. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

No spoilers but I loved this book so much!

12. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Finished this yesterday. I’m a bit disappointed, I don’t think it really lived up to the hype.

spoiler part:
    There was so much that could be explored and delved into more, but instead we pretty much got a journal of what pills she was on with some flashbacks in between (especially in the first half of the story).
    There was a lot I could identify with; two years ago when I finally dealt with my sleeping problems and got sleeping medication (the mildest sort of antihistamine) all I wanted to do is sleep. I can see why she was doing that, but as I said, I wanted more depth and more action.

3/5

13. vespertine

JANCELLED my plans tonight to read the rest of this. A meta experience.