Moopy Book Club (the return) - November 2018: 'Milkman' by Anna Burns

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Culture' started by Suedey, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Mats

Mats User

but let's not rush each other, everyone, people read at very different paces, someone like Kala who's out there VIP'ing most of his spare time will inevitably be a little longer x

2. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Yeah, I like that we're all doing it at our own pace. We want to keep this one going more than two rounds, ideally. :D

Suedey likes this.
  3. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

Absolutely agreed but please let's not discuss until we all finish & decide to start discussing!! :)

Beverley likes this.
  4. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

I'm half way through. There's no way I'm finishing for Waterstones tomorrow.

It's good though. Intense. I feel like I need to reread and reread sentences to take it all in.

Beverley likes this.
  5. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I’m halfway through chapter 2 and I’m struggling. I think it’s because I always read before bed as it helps me to get to sleep but it’s not really the kind of book for that, it’s quite a difficult read with the style of writing. I’m also finding that I’m not taking in everything because it’s a bit rambling and she could have cut down things drastically. I’ll persevere though.

6. Mats

Mats User

I had 20% to go on this and my digital loan expired :argh: what a load of BEALLUCS

7. Beverley

OMG! So now what?! :o

(I finished on Sunday)

8. Mats

Mats User

I'm still in line for a physical copy through the library, I hope I'll get it shortly

Suedey likes this.
  9. Kalabaliken

I must admit I haven’t read anymore since last time I posted in this thread. That’s not a good sign.

10. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

I’ve been sick but I’m hoping to finish it by this weekend.

Suedey likes this.
  11. Mats

Mats User

that’s fine, let it go. no one should force themself through a book

Suedey likes this.
  12. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

I'm also stuck on chapter 3 :( Finding it a bit of a slog. I usually finish books pretty quickly so agreed that it's not a good sign!

13. Beverley

I found Chapter 3 was where I found my groove with it. But, as Mats says, if it doesn't speak to you, don't feel pressured to keep at it.

Suedey likes this.
  14. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

Shall we schedule a date for discussion then? Maybe next week?

15. Mats

Mats User

hold out, McSomebodies! I am moving up on the waiting list

but aren't you a few who have already finished it? @Suedey, @jivafox, @Beverley, @Chlammy? get dissecting

Beverley likes this.
  16. Chlammy

Chlammy So hey, let's be friends.

So I still haven't finished this unfortunately. :(

17. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

I’ve still got the last bit to finish, but I won’t be home until Friday the 28th to do so :(

18. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

19. Beverley

ANYWAY I'M JUST GONNA REVIEW IT

I really liked it. I found it such a slog in the first three chapters - the elliptical way in which she talks, the endless digressions, it requires a HUGE amount of concentration, and that's quite hard if you're reading in a loud place or if you're sensitive to noise. I read best when I'm stuck on a plane. But but chapter three, I feel like I 'got' it. I got the rhythm of the sentences and the humour and the explicit politics, and knowing nothing about the everyday politics of Northern Ireland back then (aside from my teacher telling me that you can tell in Belfast what side a person is on by their names, their schools, their addresses), that sort of stuff really blew my mind. I found the sexual politics of it fascinating and super relevant, the NI politics super relevant to Brexit, and I enjoyed being challenged by the prose.

Suedey likes this.
  20. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

I was going to post a separate thread for discussion and add a poll but as Bev has posted, I will also review here.

I really enjoyed this book. I, too, found the initial few chapters a bit of a struggle - but it was more a case of getting used to the language and the style of writing. I loved the narrator and really empathised and identified with her. The entire thing was like a weird 1984-style set-up, except it actually did happen. As Bev said, given the current Brexit/Irish backstop situation as well, it did feel rather topical. Obviously NI politics was a huge part of the book, but the feminist angle was also interesting.

3.5/5 from the Suedey JURY.

21. Mats

Mats User

BROKEN DENMARK. I finally got it last week

can only reiterate the above two posts. loved the rhythm, loved the depersonalized style which made the everpresent feeling of being surveilled even creepier. in particular I liked the bit about the French class and 'wee sisters' and their affinity for hardcore lit. I read a rather critical review that found it highbrow, especially because of the words used throughout, which had me facepalming because a) it's awesome to learn while reading* and b) it was clearly, or at least in my view, a narrative technique rather than a matter of snobby style. it was clear that the narrator was alien to her own community, even her own family. what better way to establish distance in a setting that only spans a few blocks? the feels someone from Northern Ireland must get reading this! anyway, I'm on a 3.5/5 like @Suedey. THANKS GUYS

*I mean, how hot are FUGACIOUS and CREPUSCULAR?

Beverley likes this.
  22. Kalabaliken

This is the only book in the past, probably about 15 years that I couldn't finish. It was one of the worst written books I have ever read. I'm sure it's a great book for some people but it was not for me. 0/5

Suedey likes this.
  23. Kalabaliken

On reflection it's not one of the worst written books I have ever read. I have read some real shit self-published crap that was free on Amazon which had obviously not been proof read and was worse than GCSE English short story level. I just thought the style of writing of Milkman was very different and I just couldn't get to grips with it.