Mutya Keisha Siobhan ©

Discussion in 'Pop Toilet' started by dUb, Jul 20, 2012.

1. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

Hi everyone here's a fun interview with Mutya. Hot MKS update from 11:50 :side-eye:

2. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

Keisha is waiting until the MKS album is released before trying for a baby?

Keisha don't want no baby.

SDF and dUb like this.
  3. Iguana

Also the fact that the album leaked to dUb and one other fan is NOT a reason not to release the album. I am a fan and I've never heard it.

4. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

5. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Looking forward to getting a Wig by Mutya :side-eye:

6. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

That wig. Those earrings. Wow.

7. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

The album LEAKED? Can we DOWNLOAD it anywhere so I can take it on my YE OLDE IPOD and play it in the car?

8. Iguana

Ooh thanks dUb. How have I not known about this for 2 years?!

9. wurst

wurst User

It's so funny as the years have gone on I've heard more and more stories from people that worked on this project and why it was TOTALLY DOOMED.
    The truth seems to be depressingly predictable - the girls not trusting the industry and wanting to do everything their own way yet also being incredibly lazy (particularly ONE of the trio who should be pretty obvious as she's SUCH a real girl), over-estimating the demand/nostalgia for their return outside of their (very vocal but not particularly huge) core fanbase, Keisha and Siobhan STILL not getting on particularly well despite all these years - essentially perhaps Keisha aside I just don't think they wanted it enough.
    The main message is that they seemed to be a bit of a nightmare to work with for all of the above reasons - I think they were essentially self-managing by the time the Flatline release and their final live dates came around.

It's such a shame this album never even made it onto Spotify, as I genuinely think it would bring in decent numbers from consistent fanbase listening alone. Songs like 'I'm Alright' and 'No Regrets' are TOO GOOD to languish on a random Brazilian blog site.

Ironically Heidi still has strong industry links, and could definitely pull some sort of Sugababes reunion together if she could really be bothered (line up: UNKNOWN). I'd be shocked to see anything happen on any kind of major label with MKS however.

10. Dark Carnival

Tea has been served!

11. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Is 'strong industry links' just a euphemism for VERY RICH HUSBAND?

12. octophone

octophone smack your lips (clap your teeth)

Oh, how funny would that be?

13. lolly

I'll always be #justice4heidi, so I say BRING IT ON

VoR and octophone like this.
  14. octophone

Damn right. I'm pleased she married money as well, I didn't know that. No scrabbling around doing "Celebrity Cheeserolling" or some such for her.

15. wurst

wurst User

From what I've heard Heidi is still on good terms with most people from her time in the industry. If she really really wanted it I don't think it would be desperately difficult for her to pull together a line up and make it happen - I don't think it will happen though, and I'm not sure any demand is there at the moment. I think she's very happy being a Mum, and the whole ownership of what/what the Sugababes actually IS/are is a total minefield. I don't even think any of the band members hold any performing/recording rights to the band name.

ALSO: whoever decided not to release the MKS version of Swimming Pools as their first single was a complete idiot. It was the only thing that had any chance of breaking outside of their existing fanbase and get radio play. The phrase "fish where the fish are" is a phrase FOR A REASON.

16. Dark Carnival

Swimming Pools is up there with the very best that’s come out of the Sugababes (all line-ups included).

17. Rita

Rita User

OMG @wurst I could kiss you. I forgot all about Swimming Pools but remember absolutely adoring it when I heard it a few years back.

18. Rita

Rita User

The Sugababes always puzzled me as they had a lot of number 1’s and a few multi platinum selling albums but they never really tried to fill arenas did they?

19. Rita

Rita User

Heidi and Keisha must have made a BOMB from the Sugababes, no? Did they not write most of their material?

20. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

Kendrick wouldn’t clear the sample for Swimming Pools though. Surely it wasn’t a decision made by them or their team.

21. octophone

They were at the end of the CD sales era rather than the beginning of the streaming and gigs era. It would be like that if they turned up now.

22. lolly

They DID do arena tours, didn't they?

23. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Only theatre tours.

They never rivalled Girls Aloud as a touring juggernaut.

24. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

The problem the Sugababes had, and have, is that they were only ever as popular as their most recent hit. They never really inspired the kind of devoted fanbase Girls Aloud could command. Consequently I think demand for their reunion is always going to be limited.

monsta likes this.
  25. Jark

Jark User

That simply is not true. They had 3 consecutive triple-platinum albums in the UK - that's not an achievement possible I'd you're "only as popular your last hit". They didn't have the hugest core fanbase but they had a strong brand for a long time, occupied a space in the market nobody else did (or has since) and consistently won over casual audiences with a long string of excellent singles and high quality albums.

Demand for a reunion is limited because they fucked up their own legacy with at least one line-up change too many, not because they never had a significant cultural impact - they absolutely did.

Kevin, OutSynk, SDF and 3 others like this.
  26. lolly

It looks like they did arenas (and even then not exclusively) on the Greatest Hits tour - but presumably not too successfully , as they were back in smaller venues for the tour after.

27. Slave

Slave User

I agree with @Jark - they definitely had a sizeable fanbase for the majority of the 2.0 era. They weren’t consistent hit-scorers, but their albums always seemed to shift well and they definitely had stronger radio support than Girls Aloud at that point.

The difficulty is, and always will be, that the Sugababes legacy means different things to different people - how can they ever craft a comeback based on that?

Two-thirds of arguably the most popular line-up is tied into MKS, a project that few people care about (sorry @dUb). And two-thirds of the more recent line-up is a prospect that fewer people care about. Heidi is the only one conveniently placed between the two, but both are total non-starters at this point.

28. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I’d be up for a full 6 person Supababes reunion.

29. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

Oh my god the egos would kill us before anything else did.

30. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh god are we talking about legacies and cultural impact again? I couldn’t stand the Spice Girls “debate”.

I love Freak Like Me, I don’t mind that Churchill didn’t write it

31. Rita

Rita User

No.

32. lolly

Don't be ridiculous, Diddy. There's no doubt that Sugababes have left a lasting legacy. Who can't help but snigger when they are browsing the gift wrap in Clinton's?

octophone likes this.
  33. octophone

Nah - 5. Ditch Jade Ewan, she did fuck all for them.

FetchFugly likes this.
  34. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Listened to that album leak. "Flatline" is still one of my favorite songs of the decade. "Boys" is very good too. Did any other songs stand out to anyone? it started to blend together for me.

35. lolly

Going back to VoR's 'only as big as their last single' comment, I dont agree with it, either. If anything I think Girls Aloud felt a lot more fragile in that respect, at least until 'The Sound Of'.

36. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

Worth mentioning it’s not an album per se, more a collection of leaked demos. But they all stand out to me as being brilliant :)

Beverley likes this.
  37. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

How can they all stand out?

SDF and dUb like this.
  38. dUb

dUb TRIUMPHANT (GET 'EM)

You’ve got me there Dids

Jark likes this.
  39. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Did Amelle do anything?

40. Pipo

Pipo i feel like i am the Paris of people

Easy, About You now, Denial and she improved Gotta be you!

Diddy likes this.