New Pokémon games announced for Switch

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by COB, May 30, 2018.

1. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Bowing to popular pressure :tongueout:, here's some information about new Pokémon games! There was a press event in Japan last night, and these are the main announcements:

Pokémon Let's Go - a new spinoff set in the Kanto region, which acts as a cross between Pokémon Go and the more traditional games. Will have the ability to connect with your Go account, and a Pokéball accessory will let you take your Pokémon out and about with you. Comes in Pikachu and Eevee editions:

Pokémon Quest - a spinoff that's 'free to start', ie it's microtransaction-based. Available now for Switch, and soon for mobile:

New Pokémon game - this will be the next 'core' entry in the series (presumably with a new generation of Pokémon), and will be out late next year:

Diddy likes this.
  2. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

If Nintendo can shake up Pokémon in the way they did with Zelda I'm here DAY ONE for the new entry in the series. Other than that, I'm only interested in a new Pokémon Snap.

3. Slave

Slave User

I'm rather PLEASED about Pokemon Let's Go only in as much as I think waiting until 2019 for the series to arrive on the Switch would've been a BIG mistake (even though the time between generations hasn't been any longer this time than normal).

I'm not sure whether creating a halfway house between the core series and Pokemon GO will actually benefit either massively - some of the gameplay stuff looks really awkward and I'm still inclined to think that if fans of GO wanted to play the core series, they would have done by now. Nintendo seem to be positioning this as an entry into the console games for those that are reluctant to take the plunge - but it's not like we're talking about a HARDCORE JRPG that is intimidating to newcomers.

The good thing is that they'll get the chance to develop the series for the Switch before the ACTUAL next game in 2019. The visuals at the moment just look like an upgraded Sun/Moon, but it gives them a basis on which to potentially push the series again. I think my main 'problem' with moving the series from handheld to home console is that the environments still look quite STERILE and fixed. It works fine for the 3DS, but I would like to see a world that is a bit more INTERACTIVE like Breath Of The Wild.

4. Slave

Slave User

Oh, and the BALL is one of the most RIDICULOUS Nintendo ideas I think I have EVER seen.

I love that they honestly think a twenty-something woman is going to meet her friend for a SALAD and take a plastic ball with her that shouts "PIKACHU" when you stroke it.

Diddy likes this.
  5. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

As far as I’m aware, they started making Sun/Moon for the Switch and then it eventually morphed into this.

6. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I caved and I’m getting Let’s Go Eevee on Friday :shy:

7. Shirley

Shirley ROCK to the RHYTHM with ME

I've decided I NEED to play this for this reason and this reason alone

8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Omg me too..: I had been dithering AS PER, but I want to play.

I don’t think I want that new magnet one following me like it’s going to BLUDGEON me though

9. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I’m playing!!

The new catching dynamic is... a CHOICE, but I can see what they were going for. Essentially using the Pokemon Go system.

Kanto feels like a good region for a bit of a sidestep