Ni No Kuni

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by NonEvent, Jan 22, 2013.

1. NonEvent

NonEvent User

Well this looks abit SPECIAL doesn't it?

I believe the demo is out there now with the full release on Feb 1st

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xsu5dRJjQF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g5BE1Vw5B3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've never really got into a JRPG on consoles but I'm hoping this will buck the trend.

I still have a massive pile from Christmas to play though so this might have to take a back seat for a while as I'm not ready for it to absorb my life :(

2. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I await this with BATED BREATH. I pre-ordered the special edition back in July for a mere 50 quid and I'm clearing my backlog of games in February so I can play this to my heart's contempt. It looks like Dragon Quest X should have been!

3. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

God it's beautiful :(

4. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Having played the demo, I am on board. But probably because I would have been anyway. Ghibli + Level 5? COME ON

The welsh cocknose mascot thing is quite annoying. It could well be TOO TWEE TO FUNCTION too. The 2nd demo level was a bit of a pain too, the boss just smushed me because I don't know how to fight battles yet :|

Anyway I will get this, but only in week 2 when it's about a tenth of the price :eyes:

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I haven't watched the video review posted there, but the IGN review was quite pointless. It just dribbled away, saying how it went along with some JPRG regular features, but not others, but not actually being specific about anything. Like the gameplay or any actual detail was a spoiler! NICE WORK NERDS

edit: I just watched the review - it's the same as the written one. Stop describing everything as 'effective', it barely means anything on its own!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Oooh that does look LOVELY. I'll stick it on my rental list.
    Reading the Eurogamer review this line stuck right out:
    "Oliver is paralysed by grief until a toy she made him called Mr Drippy - a weird little imp with a lantern dangling from his enormous nose - comes to life and claims (in a thick Welsh accent) that he's a fairy from a parallel world."
    :D!

7. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

I bet he's no QoL Mr. Tingle (tits).

8. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

He looks well minging for a creature supposedly coming out of Ghibli's sketchbook. Maybe it's my natural aversion to nose piercings.

Diddy likes this.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I started this yestrday, it's quite fun and it looks pretty but I hope they eventually shut up and allow me to play rather than spend 50% of the time babbling.

10. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

This is not very good :( The presentation is JAW-DROPPING but the actual gameplay is stale and derivative of a mixture of RPGs (Tales, Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Pokemon) and the story is pretty PEDESTRIAN. The localisation is great, but you can't polish a turd, shame they couldn't get Yuji Horii to write the scenario.

I'm only 15 hours in, so I'm hoping it improves a bit.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

The story is rather shit which makes the game rather repetitive and all those useless spells are annoying. It's still rather enjoyable and the familiar system is a nice nod to Pokemon without being shit.

The fairy mother sequence was extremely odd, going in from one end and then going out with the babies....oh and Esther's dad is a black guy??

12. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I am in the last boss battle of this game - it does improve a bit, or maybe I just stopped giving a crap about the story. Beyond the utterly amazing presentation and some fun to be had with the Pokemon farming there's nothing too memorable in here, a bit disappointing considering I had been waiting for this game for nearly three years.

13. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Done and dusted. I'm going to be generous and give it a 7/10 because they didn't make me sweat too much in the last three battles, although the ending was a bit MEH.

14. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

This is 20 quid with PS+ at the moment so I'm going for it. I've only heard good things about it, so I'm a bit :o reading what you've said Peekaboo.

15. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oooh sold! I'd been waiting for a price drop

16. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

The game is not awful, it's just pretty inconsequential and my expectations were probably too high. It's worth playing just for the amazing graphics and art style, but it's not going to win any gameplay awards. If you like RPGs, you will enjoy it at some level.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  17. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Finally finished it yestrday and now just going around finishing up the side quests. The story improves significantly in the later part and the familiar designs are great even if their abilities are limited. My biggest issue is the fighting system which gets interrupted every time you or the enemy perform a big spell, it drove me crazy in the last battle.

18. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Sequel

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bOy6ecFmS-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Did anyone play NNK2? I’m just about to platinum it and I think it’s become one of my favourite games EVER.

20. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I played it but then I wasn’t going to be able to finish my town without the expansion so I stopped after finishing the main story.

21. wurst

wurst User

I quite liked it, the graphics were cute and I LOVED the SHOCK TWIST chapter.

However aside from the main two I didn’t care about any of the characters, it was generally quite formulaic in terms of structure town > dungeon > boss REPEAT and the world map was basically empty.

Gold paw and the sea town are probably two of the most beautiful i’ve ever seen however.

22. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I played it too. Loads of fun. Excellent game with a brilliant story. Almost similar to Game of Thrones in a way.

It feels very Final Fantasy 9 tbh, which I love.

23. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I guess so. There could have been a few more small towns with more life.
    But for me it was all about building Evermore, and the great battle system.