Nintendo 3DS Announced (Glasses-free 3D gaming)

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by MAMA, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mats

Mats User

killing dinosaurs with neon coloured arrows? YES PLEASE

2. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

It was shit. Pixel perfect jumps? Pathetic.

3. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

The whole 3DS has been a bit of a shambles since its release, I don't think Vita has had much effect to be honest. The masses just aren't that interested in the 3D effect, and the system clearly lacks a cross-demographic title that sells it like Brain Training and Nintendogs did with the DS.

Personally I doubt I'll try anything else until Super Mario 3D Land comes out later this year. I would be interested in Resi: Revelations but I suspect it's going to be more RE5-lite than anything akin to the original series, so I'll wait. My backlog of decent and interesting DS games is INSANE.

4. Slave

Slave User

I can see WHY people are jumping on the "OH DEAR NINTENDO", etc. bandwagon because let's face it, they're coming out of their most successful era in gaming. The Wii and DS models maintained their RRP for YEARS before needing a price drop to shift units.

I was always going to upgrade to a 3DS, I'm a Nintendo loon - but I think there are some fairly SIMPLE, yet not easily resolvable problems why the 3DS isn't CONNECTING:

> Hardly anyone can SEE the effect until they're playing it. You can have people *GASP*ing and "OOOOH"ing at the console in adverts 'til the cows come home - it means DIDDLY SQUAT until people can actually see the games, and because 3D TV is still a NICHE in terms of home installation, that ain't gonna happen in mainstream advertising for AGES.

> The catalogue of games - need I say more? It's absolutely CACK and developers are pulling out of the console left, right and centre. The real bone of contention is that the DS was saved by Dr. Kawashima and solving the problem of translating pen-and-paper puzz;es, etc. onto a console without cumbersome controls. There was a total gap in the market - the 3DS isn't plugging any such gap and actually, despite early promises of intuitive use of the 3D, the fact that it requires you to maintain a fixed viewpoint and move like you're doing the robot is NOT a selling point - to be honest I'm still DUBIOUS as to what the USP will BE for the 3DS in terms of gaming - because on all the games at the moment you can play them with the 3D turned off.

> I'm coming around to the idea that although maintaining the "DS" brand was always going to happen, the whole thing looks too much like yet ANOTHER extension of the existing DS brand and having catered to those with small hands (DS Lite), those wanting external storage/wi-fi (DSi) and the BLIND (DSi XL), Nintendo are rapidly running out of "casual" buyers to tempt with this one.

I suspect ultimately that the 3DS will end up running alongside the existing DS brand, unless Nintendo take the plunge and cut the original line off (which ain't gonna happen whilst it's still spinning money), my worry at the moment is not for the commercial prospects but whether it will ever house the amazing line-up of quality titles that can be found for the original console.

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Any news of when we get the early uptakers will get their freebies?

Like monsta said, of course I'm disappointed at how it's panning out, but it's only been 3/4 months hasn't it, and they are at LEAST thinking of us with that offer.

Personally I think it was overpriced to start, and they are moving down to somewhere in the region of what they should've originally sold at. I don't think they are waving their arms going "OMG WE NEED TO GET RID OF THESE QUICK!"

6. Slave

Slave User

The GBA ones aren't scheduled to be released until towards the festive season I don't believe...

7. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

You need to connect to the eStore at least once before the price drop (15th August?) to become an AMBASSADOR :disco:

8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh that's no problem, I've already downloaded Zelda before now :disco:

FUCK! I forgot i was playing Zelda still :D *unfinished yet again*

9. NonEvent

NonEvent User

I think the ambassador is a LOAD OF SHIT to be honest. They want to give back to us loyal fans by giving us free games for old systems??? Don't they realise that us loyal fans already owned these old systems and have already played all the games they want to on that system??? They should of done what Microsoft did and give away free NEW games.

10. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I guess the difference with me is that I get these new systems and end up playing retro games and ports :D PERFECT for me!

11. MAMA

MAMA #Bangerz

[​IMG]

12. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Mass market and dumb general public aside, as a Nintendo loon I am terribly disappointed in the lack of new IP for the console. Remaking Starfox64 and OoT is a desperate attempt to win points with the hardcore but it has actually made me angrier - why not use those 3D engines to create new Starfox and Zelda games instead!

13. Slave

Slave User

I think they WILL - lest we forget that previous handheld consoles have been launched with re-makes/ports of existing IPs - the DS had Super Mario 64, and the GBA had Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and Super Mario Bros. 3

14. COB

COB Skullomania nude on spacehopper

Now I love Nintendo as much as anyone else (still can't afford a 3DS but NEVER MIND), but that new advert they have out is quite rubbish.

"Big name titles!"
    *Shot of RIDGE RACER*
    *Shot of a game that won't be out for six months*

:(

15. Slave

Slave User

Two key games (Kid Icarus and Metal Gear Solid) have been bumped to 2012 in the past week. It's really NOT GOOD.

16. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Kid Icarus looks trapped in DEVELOPMENT HELL which is NOT GOOD.

I sadly think Nintendo won't touch Starfox for the 3DS, they've outsourced all Fox games since SF64, with any luck we'll get a Retro "reinvention" :manson: A new 3DS Zelda is possible, as is a Majora's Mask remake, but they should really approach with caution the overexploitation of Link. I'd much rather wait two or three years inbetween Zelda games than a game a year, with ports/remakes/portable faffle/etc.

17. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

JUST GIVE ME LUIGI'S MANSION. Seriously it looks amazing.

Slightly worried about the concerns surrounding Super Mario 3D Land. And not just the CLUNKY title.

18. Slave

Slave User

Mario Kart 3DS is getting some good pre-release hype - and given the success of Mario Kart Wii, it might push the console sales a little.

19. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I'm so OVER Mario Kart.

20. Slave

Slave User

I thought Mario Kart Wii was HORRENDOUS with the blue shell bonanza. But the 3DS looks to be sending it back to basics a little - no mid-air tricks to boost speed, return of coins, no snaking, etc. It hopefully will make it more of a racer than a free-for-all power-up fest.

21. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Yeah shame it's not Mario KART anymore, but now Mario Kite and Mario Submarine too... talk about running out of ideas. Plus, it's being made by Retro, not EAD.

22. Slave

Slave User

As in Retro of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid? This is a bad thing BECAUSE...?

23. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Retro haven't been the same since the main guys left after MP3. I found DKCR severely disappointing, there was none of the charm and wit of the originals. It felt like a (very polished) fan-made tribute. I think they've peaked with Metroid Prime and I doubt they will be bringing anything interesting to the Mario Kart formula.

24. Slave

Slave User

Interesting! DKCR is one of the Wii's best rated titles!

25. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Have you played it? It's totally soulless in my opinion.

You can read a review of it in my blog if you like.

26. Slave

Slave User

Yes I've played it - I absolutely loved it. Interesting review - for me the problems in the game are the same that have plagued the series since it started - and that's pretty much that Donkey Kong by sheer concept of is always restricted to fairly bog-standard locations - forest, river, mine, etc. There really isn't any scope to change things up.

But I thought the sillhouette levels were genuinely jaw-dropping, I could play through them again and again. The only shame is that they weren't HD graphics - but I thought the game looked lovely, generally played really well and had a decent difficulty curve on it. It didn't really add anything new to the series, but equally I thought as a homage it took nothing away either.

27. NonEvent

NonEvent User

Sorry for the bump but I just came to brag that I was one of the winners of this little beauty :disco:

[​IMG]

(the toad version obv)

28. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

:evil: Lucky fucker

(pretty sure I entered)

29. NonEvent

NonEvent User

meh well serves me right for being smug, Nintendo left a message with me today saying that as I never claimed it within 7 days (I was on holiday) I can't have it :(

30. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

:o that's SCANDALOUS!

Oh NonEvent :(

31. NonEvent

NonEvent User

After arguing with them for a couple of weeks they gave in and this arrived today :disco:

[​IMG]

Now to keep or sell? :(

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  32. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

That is really beautiful! :disco:

33. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh keep it, that's incredible :D

Or sell to me :disco:

34. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

Oh my I WANT IT.

35. Adeva

Adeva User

Sell it and wait for this...

[​IMG]

36. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Or don't.

That's going to weigh a TON and increase fuzziness by up-scaling the images.

I'd weight for the proper rerelease with the second analogue nub.

37. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us

This is what I don't get? It'll just look absolutely horrendous won't it? Have they mentioned this at all? Will there be a resolve?

38. Mats

Mats User

you know what, I'll go buy a 3DS today. can I use the R4DS thingy for it?

39. Mats

Mats User

I just googled it, it does not :)

anyone got any of the other systems that work?

40. PercyPig

PercyPig The Last of Us