Now United (Simon Fuller's new project)

Discussion in 'Pop' started by dUb, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:33 PM.

?

R U into it?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. Could be

50.0%
  3. Absolutely not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

aka dUb is back on his bullshit

[​IMG]

I only found out about this lot tonight in an interview with Fuller about the Spice Girls where he says

The concept: taking a cue from K/J pop, there's 14 or maybe 15 of them, all from a different country, and as alluded to above, they're a visual act ONLY - no sign of them on Spotify, for example.

Apparently all of their stuff is produced by RedOne and... it's good!

I personally find the clapping bit in the second one to be mildly iconic, don't know about you

I've been LAMENTING the lack of an actual shiny all-singing all-dancing pop act for a while. Looking at my niece who's 9 and listening to George fucking Ezra... this is perfect for her. And me.

You'll just have to decide for yourselves if there's a hot one as I couldn't possibly comment.

Looks like there's an overtly gay one too?

ANYWAY look forward to bumping this thread for the rest of this year and beyond x x

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:42 PM
    Jark likes this.
  2. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

From what he says about it, it's another iteration of what he tried to do with S Club 7. "Everyone's a part of it"/members can come and go/S Club TV, but I suppose he's seeing more potential with social media and YouTube to make it work in that way.

Fuck me though I felt too old for S Club 7 at the time, what about NOW :square::D

NOW UNITED UP

3. Jark

Jark User

dUb you are a special hunty

Pipo likes this.
  4. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

5. Jark

Jark User

it's an interesting concept but I don't think he can make an act explode without Spotify/streaming as it's so integral to the consumption and discovery of music in 2019. also if they are purely a visual act who apparently can dance, having a heavier focus on actual choreo would be a good way to go - the dance routines are basically what inspires the rabid k-pop fandom, not just a bunch of pretty young things posing. I like that there's a gay one and that two of the straight (I'm guessing) ones had a gay moment in the video

dUb likes this.
  6. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Yes! Loved the 'gay' moment - has that ever happened in a video by a pop group like this? And agreed re choreo, I thought they were going to bring something as super-slick and impressive as the K-Pop acts but nah.

7. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Oh this is the one for choreo

8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

I wondered why the west have never gone down the large group route like J&K-pop do SO often.

If you know AKB48 with its 48 members on rotation, it’s also a franchise of groups with 48 members with groups in several different Japanese and Asian cities. Their point is that they have theatre bases, so you can watch their performances quite regularly there. It’s like STARTING the career with a residency.

But where these groups are more anonymous (at least to me), they have interactive moments, like elections on who is the leader for each single etc. and graduates get TV work or acting, presumably singing too.

dUb likes this.
  9. OutSynk

OutSynk User

@dUb started the thread so it's DOA.

Jark and dUb like this.
  10. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

What’s everyones favourite Now United song and member?

I hope they do songs that don’t sound like rejected World Cup theme tunes at some stage x

11. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Ok I'll go first

Songs
    1 What Are We Waiting For
    2 Paraná
    3 Afraid of Letting Go

Members
    1 Diarra
    2 Bailey
    3 Heyoon

12. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Sounds like a bloody football team or a soap opera cast.